Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 05:29 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times

Advertisements

Generally speaking no matter what restaurant I go to I expect the people doing the job are better doing it than I.
Other wise I may as well be doing it my self .
Each ding in procedure is a ding in the tip .
A tip is not a debt, it is a gratuity . It is a thank you, received for doing the above and beyond ,not for just barely doing one's job. I've gotten tips as a cook, and as a mechanic. I also give tips respectively . no tips on some occasions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 06:05 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
If you are talking about something other than food, like cable, car repair, etc, probably. Something that I am putting in my mouth to consume, nope. I honestly don't eat out much anyway. If you worked in a restaurant and saw what I saw you may have a similar attitude. Maybe not. I will say this, my father went to a restaurant looking to complain. Everything was always wrong. He never had a pleasant meal. He complained non-stop and was just embarrassing to be with in a restaurant. I can't imagine all the stuff done to his food over the years.
We have a neighbor who is the same way. We no longer accept their invitations to go out for dinner.

On the rare occasion I get a bad meal I just tell the server that the food is not acceptable and to not charge me for it. I will not accept a 'do-over'. If it is too bad to eat it has already ruined my appetite.

Last edited by grampaTom; 10-20-2018 at 06:14 PM..

Old 10-20-2018, 06:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
We have a neighbor who is the same way. We no longer accept their invitations to go out for dinner.
I had an aunt that was like that. Lordy. In her later years when I took her out to dinner, I'd go to the restroom and catch the waiter and tell him, please put up with her and I'll make it worth your while. I would tip 50% or more for waitstaff patience. Once at a chain steakhouse she told the waiter there wasn't enough "stuff" in her baked potato - that she eaten down to the skin - and would they please refill it. The guy brought a whole 'nother baked potato and a tray of fixings if she wanted to add even MORE bacon bits and sour cream to the new potato, without charging her for an additional baked potato. Um hmm. That's what I'm talkin' about. ;D He got a big tip.

One of my sons was a waiter in high school at that very steak house and he saw a middle school kid who brought his homework to dinner and was struggling with a math problem. My son pulled up a chair and worked through it with him until the lightbulb went off and this kid really understood the process. $200 tip. Cause yep, it's worth it.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:15 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
However, I never blame the wait staff for kitchen issues.
This. My mom never sent anything back, but she would use the slightest dislike of the food to lower the waiter's tip. I pointed out to her that they didn't do the cooking and they needed to be tipped for their servie regardless of her satisfaction with the meal. It usually didn't help, so the few times I went out to eat with her in her later years, I just surreptitiously left extra money on the table for the tip.

OT but related to tipping: Years ago when I was a grad student, one of my committee member's wife and her visiting mother and I went to see Mose Allison play at a small club. We had an absolutely terrible waitress. I don't remember all the details as it was over 40 years ago, but when we paid our bill, the mom left one penny on the table for the tip. It's the only time in my entire life I haven't tipped, so you know it was bad. As we were walking across the parking lot to our car, the waitress came running out and said, "Ladies! You forgot the tip!" The mother turned around and said, "No we didn't."

Old 10-21-2018, 09:54 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Um, so you're saying that some people like to eat nearly raw potatoes? I've never been asked how I want my spuds cooked, so I don't think that theory has merit.

And the dish was mostly potatoes, so I'd have left hungry if I'd tried to eat around them. Same diner gave me raw hash browns a couple weeks ago, but there was plenty of other food, so I just didn't eat them, and remembered not to order them again.
I would call the department of health about their under cooked food. They obviously have no clue how to cook potatoes and who knows what else that you haven't tried yet.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I rarely send anything back.....the servers take enough crap ….

however if I was at an expensive place and I thought food was way overpriced.....

if I were buying a 30 dollar or above steak and it was overcooked and I asked for medium rare...…..yeah I would complain ….but even then it would have to be medium well

Old 10-22-2018, 08:25 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
I dont think I've ever sent anything back umless it's an apparent oversight that can be easily fixed. If it's edible, I eat it.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I would call the department of health about their under cooked food. They obviously have no clue how to cook potatoes and who knows what else that you haven't tried yet.
sorry, I can't agree with you about calling the health dept. There is nothing unhealthy about potatoes under cooked. Everyone likes their veggies cooked a different way

Old 10-23-2018, 08:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I rarely send anything back.....the servers take enough crap ….

however if I was at an expensive place and I thought food was way overpriced.....

if I were buying a 30 dollar or above steak and it was overcooked and I asked for medium rare...…..yeah I would complain ….but even then it would have to be medium well
That is pretty much how we feel.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:54 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
If you are talking about something other than food, like cable, car repair, etc, probably. Something that I am putting in my mouth to consume, nope. I honestly don't eat out much anyway. If you worked in a restaurant and saw what I saw you may have a similar attitude. Maybe not. I will say this, my father went to a restaurant looking to complain. Everything was always wrong. He never had a pleasant meal. He complained non-stop and was just embarrassing to be with in a restaurant. I can't imagine all the stuff done to his food over the years.
My late MIL's husband was like this. The man was wealthy, and he treated wait staff like dirt and spoke to them as if they were crumbs under the table. He complained about everything. We only saw him when we visited from out of state.

One day my sister-in-law told us she'd had enough, got up from the table where they were dining, and said she was never going to a restaurant with him again because it was just too embarrassing to see how he treated people and constantly complained. And she left.

Not long after, for other reasons relating to his controlling personality, my MIL saw what a mistake she had made, and divorced him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink