Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 10:28 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Can I use Chambord instead of brandy/whiskey? Blackberries grow here and I usually make a mean black and blue pie, but I think I'm going to have to skip it this coming year.

I already copied that coconut one into my recipe folder.

Good question! IMO the alcohol content of brandy/whiskey does as much for the texture of the sorbet as it does for flavor. The original recipe (I forget where I found it) included no alcohol but I added the brandy for both flavor and texture. I were going to use Chambord at 16.5% alcohol I'd probably bump it up to 2-3 Tbsps. You'd certainly do little harm by starting at 1, the likely difference is it may freeze a bit harder.

I did the same with the coconut ice cream using the rum, it goes well with coconut and freezes slightly softer. Let us know if you try it, other than a coffee ice cream I'll list below, the coconut is the most ridiculously easy ice cream I've made.

The coffee ice cream came from a book called The Perfect Scoop I found at my local library, well worth looking for if you enjoy making and eating ice cream.

Coffee Ice Cream

600g Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 1/2 Cups Strongly Brewed Coffee
1/2 Cup Half & Half
Big Pinch of Ground Coffee

Whisk together, chill, freeze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 12:15 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Cuisinart usually gets top ratings among popularly priced ice cream machines.

I have never used this machine, but it is the one I would buy. An ice cream maker is something I simply cannot have in the house, or I would weigh 300 pounds. There are better or more expensive models, of course.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...Freezer%20Bowl

I would never buy anything by KitchenAid again. Their blender melted where the jar meets the base while I was making hummus, and they wanted $25 for a box in which I could send it back to them. They wouldn't let me use the original container, which I still had.
(Hope OP finds what they need.)

To me, an ice cream maker is like the waffle iron I caught on sale couple years ago. Nothing good comes of it, because everything that comes from it is "too" good.

I speak for me and no one else. Given such appliances, I will use them plenty. Waffle 4/days week kind of thing. Sure enough, I did actually turn up at 300 lbs and needed to go on an ND-supervised diet. Death by superlative food, whouda thunkit? 10K hungry Eritreans would be thrilled to have a waffle and if I could mail them one, with blueberry compote and a dash of whipped cream, I surely would.

Stuff like that is like buying a junkie a gorgeous, reusable needle kit with the finest surgical quality instruments. And I'll sure get high on the supply!

My bad, I will reiterate, and there are far too many hugely fat people in the US in-particular, but the last thing on earth I need...ever, under any circumstances, is "ice cream" which ounce-for-ounce is pure sugar in the form of candied chocolates, caramels, cream, processed raw sugar, and whatever else. A friggin' dish of it that I'd eat is 600 calories.

Again, I'm not born-again healthy or knocking the concept, if you're the type of person who can consume in moderation. I should try that sometime. But in my case, a cone from a place like Cold Stone Creamery literally 2x/YEAR is entirely sufficient (chuckle), that's as much as I dare. I can just see some fat kid with a metabolic disorder churning out ice cream on the sneak, and everyone wonders how he's suddenly 200lbs at 12 years old.

Yet about a third of Americans can indeed live in moderation. Power to you; I'm officially jealous!

Old 11-25-2018, 11:28 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Good question! IMO the alcohol content of brandy/whiskey does as much for the texture of the sorbet as it does for flavor. The original recipe (I forget where I found it) included no alcohol but I added the brandy for both flavor and texture. I were going to use Chambord at 16.5% alcohol I'd probably bump it up to 2-3 Tbsps. You'd certainly do little harm by starting at 1, the likely difference is it may freeze a bit harder.

I did the same with the coconut ice cream using the rum, it goes well with coconut and freezes slightly softer. Let us know if you try it, other than a coffee ice cream I'll list below, the coconut is the most ridiculously easy ice cream I've made.

The coffee ice cream came from a book called The Perfect Scoop I found at my local library, well worth looking for if you enjoy making and eating ice cream.

Coffee Ice Cream

600g Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 1/2 Cups Strongly Brewed Coffee
1/2 Cup Half & Half
Big Pinch of Ground Coffee

Whisk together, chill, freeze
Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream

Ingredients:
1 (14-ounce/400 g) can evaporated milk
1 (14-ounce/400 g) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups (355 ml) heavy cream
2 ounces (60 g) coffee beans, medium coarse ground (recommend Cafe du Mond in the can)
Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean, or 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Generous pinch of fine-grain sea salt
TOPPINGS: Fine ground coffee, sea salt, store-bought caramel

Directions:
Combine the evaporated milk, condensed milk, cream, coffee, vanilla, and salt in a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, whisking often, until the mixture begins to steam. Remove from the heat and let steep for 20 minutes.
Using a fine-meshed strainer or a coffee filter, strain the liquid into a bowl. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours, but preferably overnight. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s directions.

To serve, top the Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream with a pinch of ground coffee, caramel and a pinch of sea salt.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream

Ingredients:
1 (14-ounce/400 g) can evaporated milk
1 (14-ounce/400 g) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups (355 ml) heavy cream
2 ounces (60 g) coffee beans, medium coarse ground (recommend Cafe du Mond in the can)
Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean, or 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Generous pinch of fine-grain sea salt
TOPPINGS: Fine ground coffee, sea salt, store-bought caramel

Directions:
Combine the evaporated milk, condensed milk, cream, coffee, vanilla, and salt in a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, whisking often, until the mixture begins to steam. Remove from the heat and let steep for 20 minutes.
Using a fine-meshed strainer or a coffee filter, strain the liquid into a bowl. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours, but preferably overnight. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s directions.

To serve, top the Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream with a pinch of ground coffee, caramel and a pinch of sea salt.

I'm gonna have to try this! At least I have the Cafe du Mond on the shelf, been drinking it for many years now, their beignet mix is pretty decent too.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm gonna have to try this! At least I have the Cafe du Mond on the shelf, been drinking it for many years now, their beignet mix is pretty decent too.
If you've had Vietnamese coffee, then you know it's like hot melted ice cream already - rich and strong. I was, though I probably shouldn't have been, a little surprised at the choice of coffee.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
If you've had Vietnamese coffee, then you know it's like hot melted ice cream already - rich and strong. I was, though I probably shouldn't have been, a little surprised at the choice of coffee.

I don't know if it's the norm but I shop at a local Vietnamese owned market and I'm pretty sure Cafe du Mond is the only coffee brand they sell.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:47 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
I never had good luck with ice and salt, and I didn't want to have to deal with pre-freezing a bowl or some other piece, so I waited until the Cuisinart with the on-board refrigeration unit showed up at Tuesday Morning for 1/3 off retail. It works well, other than the dasher drive unit being rather noisy.

Still perfecting my recipe (and will certainly try the blackberry sorbet recipe posted earlier), but made a very nice batch of vanilla ice cream for dessert on Thanksgiving.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:00 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I never had good luck with ice and salt, and I didn't want to have to deal with pre-freezing a bowl or some other piece, so I waited until the Cuisinart with the on-board refrigeration unit showed up at Tuesday Morning for 1/3 off retail. It works well, other than the dasher drive unit being rather noisy.

Still perfecting my recipe (and will certainly try the blackberry sorbet recipe posted earlier), but made a very nice batch of vanilla ice cream for dessert on Thanksgiving.
You don't really have to "deal with" pre-freezing a bowl -- you simply leave the bowl in your freezer at all times.

(I have no idea which Cuisinart you ended up getting, but it sounds like it is probably out of my price range! Do you have a link to the one you bought?)

Old 01-09-2019, 10:08 PM

I got the one where you have to keep the bowl in the freezer for Christmas and I want to make banana first. Does anyone have a good banana ice cream recipe?

Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
I got the one where you have to keep the bowl in the freezer for Christmas and I want to make banana first. Does anyone have a good banana ice cream recipe?
I have never made banana ice cream, but if I were to try, it is David Lebovitz, pastry chef and ice cream maven, to whom I would turn first.

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/banana-ice-cream-recipe/

Here's the most recent version of his ice cream book, The Perfect Scoop: https://smile.amazon.com/Perfect-Sco...ed+and+updated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products