Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 07:36 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

I have a Cuisinart and have no complaints, I use it regularly. I particularly like making sorbets and knowing exactly what goes into them. If you have one nearby, check Bed, Bath, & Beyond, with their frequently sent coupons of 20-25% off you can pick one up quite reasonably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 09:42 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
I too have a Cuisinart, this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KYSLMW .

OK, actually I have 2 of those, because when I moved to this house in 2012 I couldn't find my original one and summer was coming and OF COURSE I had to have an ice cream maker ... so now I have 2 of them.

In the summer I typically make various fruit sorbets every 2-3 weeks. My favorites are raspberry, watermelon, cherry, lemon, and ... well, who am I kidding, I love 'em all! I also make ice cream -- vanilla, chocolate, and chocolate chip. (I have very plain taste in ice cream.)

I bought several extra freezer bowls for the Cuisinart (they are like $20 each but SO worth it!) so I always have a couple of extra bowls in the freezer so I can have ice cream any time I want! Gotta love that.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:06 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Being sick this week made me crave sorbet and in summer we have so much fresh fruit and a local dairy so I can get very fresh dairy. (Best egg nog ever in winter.) I think this is the year I have to get a machine and go for it.

White Mountain no doubt would be the best but it's way out of my price range. I'm sorry to hear bad things about KitchenAid. I got my mixer back when they were still built like tanks and I can't believe some of the stuff I get that machine to do. Ice cream just won't be one of them. I'm super pleased you guys like Cuisinart and those are some nice prices you linked to. Good tip on the extra bowls, but I wouldn't have anything else in the freezer! Not sure why I should, but I can picture the H making a protest.

And yes I do have a big handful of those BBB coupons.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:48 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I too have a Cuisinart, this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KYSLMW .

OK, actually I have 2 of those, because when I moved to this house in 2012 I couldn't find my original one and summer was coming and OF COURSE I had to have an ice cream maker ... so now I have 2 of them.

In the summer I typically make various fruit sorbets every 2-3 weeks. My favorites are raspberry, watermelon, cherry, lemon, and ... well, who am I kidding, I love 'em all! I also make ice cream -- vanilla, chocolate, and chocolate chip. (I have very plain taste in ice cream.)

I bought several extra freezer bowls for the Cuisinart (they are like $20 each but SO worth it!) so I always have a couple of extra bowls in the freezer so I can have ice cream any time I want! Gotta love that.

Since you like fruit sorbets I thought you might like to try this one, it's one of my favorites:

Blackberry Sorbet
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup water
24 oz. fresh blackberries
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1Tbsp Blackberry Brandy/Whiskey
Makes about 1 quart of sorbet
Make the simple syrup
Combine the sugar and water in a medium-sized saucepan.
Bring the mixture to a boil. Let it boil for maybe 2 minutes, just to be sure that all the sugar is dissolved.
Remove the pot from the heat. Cool the mixture to room temperature, then pop it in the fridge (or freezer, if you want to hurry it along) to chill it completely.
Puree the blackberries and simple syrup
When your simple syrup is completely chilled, you’re ready to make your sorbet. Grab your blackberries. Pick through them quickly and discard any that are bruised or otherwise suspect looking.
Put about half of the berries in the blender.
Pour in about half of the chilled simple syrup.
Puree on high for maybe 30 seconds, until the berries are completely liquified.
Strain the blackberry mixture
Set a strainer over a large bowl. Pour the blackberry mixture through the strainer
Blend and strain the remaining blackberries and simple syrup. Then pour the lemon juice into the strained mixture. Stir to combine.
Add 1 TBSP Blackberry Brandy/Whiskey
Freeze the sorbet mixture
Because you chilled the simple syrup, your mixture should still be fairly cold. Pour it into your ice cream maker. Process according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

If you like coconut, check out Post #4 in this thread:Coconut cream ice cream in an old fashioned ice cream maker?

for a ridiculously easy coconut ice cream that always gets great reviews from anyone I give it to.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Since you like fruit sorbets I thought you might like to try this one, it's one of my favorites: Blackberry Sorbet ...

If you like coconut, check out Post #4 in this thread:Coconut cream ice cream in an old fashioned ice cream maker?

for a ridiculously easy coconut ice cream that always gets great reviews from anyone I give it to.
That blackberry sorbet sounds fantastic -- I will definitely try that next summer (ha! as if I will wait that long! ).

Alas, I don't like coconut unless it's coconut milk used in Thai cooking. Just never developed a taste for it otherwise.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:37 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,574 times
Thumbs down Don't buy a Krups La Glaciere ice cream maker!

Just don't buy a Krups La Glaciere!

The tub has to be kept in the freezer. After a short while the metal interior corrodes and the freezing liquid leaks out, and then the entire thing is unusable.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Just don't buy a Krups La Glaciere!

The tub has to be kept in the freezer. After a short while the metal interior corrodes and the freezing liquid leaks out, and then the entire thing is unusable.
That's the one I have. Mine has not had any problems. Maybe you got a bad one?

Old 11-24-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That's the one I have. Mine has not had any problems. Maybe you got a bad one?
I was thinking the same thing! Cuisinart uses the same kind of thing (i.e. a bowl that you keep frozen) and I have 3-4 of those bowls and have not had a problem with ANY of them. So I think that poster may have gotten a bad one.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:51 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Since you like fruit sorbets I thought you might like to try this one, it's one of my favorites:

Blackberry Sorbet
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup water
24 oz. fresh blackberries
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1Tbsp Blackberry Brandy/Whiskey
Makes about 1 quart of sorbet
Make the simple syrup
Combine the sugar and water in a medium-sized saucepan.
Bring the mixture to a boil. Let it boil for maybe 2 minutes, just to be sure that all the sugar is dissolved.
Remove the pot from the heat. Cool the mixture to room temperature, then pop it in the fridge (or freezer, if you want to hurry it along) to chill it completely.
Puree the blackberries and simple syrup
When your simple syrup is completely chilled, you’re ready to make your sorbet. Grab your blackberries. Pick through them quickly and discard any that are bruised or otherwise suspect looking.
Put about half of the berries in the blender.
Pour in about half of the chilled simple syrup.
Puree on high for maybe 30 seconds, until the berries are completely liquified.
Strain the blackberry mixture
Set a strainer over a large bowl. Pour the blackberry mixture through the strainer
Blend and strain the remaining blackberries and simple syrup. Then pour the lemon juice into the strained mixture. Stir to combine.
Add 1 TBSP Blackberry Brandy/Whiskey
Freeze the sorbet mixture
Because you chilled the simple syrup, your mixture should still be fairly cold. Pour it into your ice cream maker. Process according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Can I use Chambord instead of brandy/whiskey? Blackberries grow here and I usually make a mean black and blue pie, but I think I'm going to have to skip it this coming year.

I already copied that coconut one into my recipe folder.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:01 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I am not happy with my Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment.
Best ice cream maker ai have ever used was a White Mountain with a wood bucket and a hand crank.
Absolutely agree! I've had mine for decades and it is work but you get the best ice cream - not "goop". But it has to be manual - electric versions just aren't strong enough. It can be fun if you have a couple helpers to trade off holding it down and cranking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products