Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 04:55 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We must be related some how, so I'll be showing up, I never come empty handed.

SERIOUSLY - I'd settle for the afternoon Kaffeeklatsch.

We have some things in common - home baked linzer tart cookies (In a lintzer tarrt the same as a linzer torte - or is yours more of a cake? Marzipan stollen (already baked) German braised red cabbage, glow wine - (I know that isn't how you spell it, but since I was a kid, my family all called it that) and beer bread.

This is all Christmas Day.

The rest of our holiday repast will consist of :

assorted cheeses, breads, crackers and fruits.

Potato Leek soup.

Baked salmon with dill sauce.

Nut and wild mushroom loaf with a Madeira and caramelized mushroom gravy.

Mashed potatoes with sour cream and chives.

braised red cabbage with wine.

sweet potato and pecan bake

green bean casserole

beer bread, (home made) other bread from a local bakery.

Desert - apple cake, fruit cake with bourbon, stollen, and linzer tart cookies, apricot filled cookies and chocolate rum balls.

This is Christmas day. We go to candlelight service and eat out on Christmas Eve.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERY ONE! May blessing and joy abound!

How lovely this all sounds!!!! Your family and friends must love coming to see you. Things are delicious at your house...I can almost taste it.

Merry Christmas from my bustling kitchen to yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 05:11 PM

668 posts, read 471,262 times
Just curious, (because i didn't see it), does anyone do the feast of the seven fishes on Christmas Eve? Growing up, our neighbors used to do it and i was fascinated...

Old 12-20-2018, 06:04 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Have I ever mentioned that I am up for adoption?
Me too! me too!

Old 12-20-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
After seeing the Prime Rib Roast prices, I may have to change it to ribs.

They are selling Prime Rib at Sam's Club for $75-$100 for 5lbs and under. Busch is $20 an lb. Any suggestions on more reasonable prime rib prices in Michigan?
I paid $4.77 a pound for my prime rib here in NY. Making that for new Years

Old 12-20-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Family will arrive this weekend,young and old gathered for the holidays.Christmas Eve is special for us,going to church,opening presents,play some Christmas music and have a nice,cozy family dinner.It is tradition in my home steamed rainbow trout with lemon & fresh herbs served with potatoes,melted butter and asparagus.For dessert Linzer Torte with a cup of coffee/Glühwein (red mulled wine) or a cup of Darjeeling tea. For the rest of the evening we have my 15 varieties of Christmas cookies and Marzipan hearts,while just chatting,sitting around the Christmas tree,listening to German Christmas music in the background and playing a few games.On snowy Christmases we used to go for a walk with kids in the sleds.The young ones have sweet ornaments hanging on the tree such as mini chocolate rings,little white meringue wreaths,Lebkuchen hearts and other chocolate treats they can pick off any time during the holidays.A tradition carried on from my childhood.

On Christmas day more family and close friends arrive.We will have an early afternoon Kaffeeklatsch with Marzipan Stollen,Christmas cookies,spice cake with raspberry jam between and chocolate cake with lemon icing.Served either with black coffee,Darjeeling tea and warm milk for the kids.

Dinner time I will serve Cornish game hens stuffed with apples,onion and curly parsley,rubbed with melted butter and black pepper/salt.They will bathe in red wine until they are all happy and call out for us Served with garlic mashed potatoes and a bit of sour creme,a choice of Sauerkraut or German braised red cabbage.
https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/german-red-cabbage/
Home baked beer bread and German Bauernbrot to clean the sauce off the plate. To drink a variety of beer choices from Stella Artois,Löwenbräu,Holsten,Münchner Gold,Guinness,La Fin Du Monde or Erdinger beer or Ribena black currant syrup with Perrier water.For some whose button is about to pop we got Akvavit or Enzian Schnapps.

No dessert because we all will enjoy more Christmas baking!

Every family will go home with a tin of my baked Christmas sweets!

Merry Christmas to everyone from my home to yours!
Have a very Merry Christmas! I wish you all the best in the New Year! Your menu sounds devine

Old 12-20-2018, 07:35 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer3156 View Post
I looked at your link and thought, "Hmm. Don't look like familiar kolaches to me." So I googled images and came up with these:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe..._seed_kolache/

And sure enough, the article said Minnesota kolaches. Guess they wrap them differently here.

We still don't know what "tossies" are. Do tell?

Old 12-20-2018, 10:09 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Thumbs up Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Just curious, (because i didn't see it), does anyone do the feast of the seven fishes on Christmas Eve? Growing up, our neighbors used to do it and i was fascinated...

Yes, my family did it. We also had friends & neighbors who did it as well.
It comes from Christmas Eve still being Advent (which is supposed to be a bit like Lent)
It is the Vigil of the Nativity. The Vigil to a major Feast day is a fasting day (preparing for the Feast Day)

If we did not have the Feast of the Seven Fishes, we definitely had fish (no meat on Christmas Eve.)
Meat was reserved for Christmas day.

Have a Blessed Advent!

Have a Blessed & Merry Christmas Day & Season!

And a Happy New Year 2019!

🎄 🌟 🎁 🔔 🙏 🎵🎄

Old 12-20-2018, 10:22 PM

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer3156 View Post
The best place to get them by far.

https://www.kifflekitchen.com

Thanks for the link! Everything there looks yummy! I saw something listed as Minnesota cookies, I wonder what they look like?

I cannot believe that there is a cookie out there that I have not made or tasted before, LOL!

Old 12-20-2018, 10:34 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
How lovely this all sounds!!!! Your family and friends must love coming to see you. Things are delicious at your house...I can almost taste it.

Merry Christmas from my bustling kitchen to yours!
Thank you so much! Wouldn't it be just amazing if all of us could have a pot luck some year soon?

Merry Christmas to you - and thanks for the kind words.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:45 PM

Thumbs up What a lovely thought! Thanks! Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Thank you so much! Wouldn't it be just amazing if all of us could have a pot luck some year soon?

Merry Christmas to you - and thanks for the kind words.
Oh, my I was thinking the same thing! It would be awesome to have everyone here join together for

joyful Holiday potluck, with your menu, CdA's, ALMRAUSCH's & everyone on this

thread!
The perfect Holiday get together! YUM!

Merry Christmas to you & yours, Sheena!

🎄 🌟 🎁 🔔 🙏 🎵🎄
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink