Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 05:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've never been a big fan of McDonald's burgers and other daytime offerings. However, they're the most convenient stop for me on my way to work now for a fast food breakfast.

They used to offer a chicken biscuit for either $1 or $2, but it was pressed meat. They're now offering a thick cut of all breast meat for $3. In my local area, that's cheaper than Hardee's or Bojangle's for a chicken biscuit.

A McD's sausage biscuit is a buck. For some reason, I find their greasy, fatty sausage patty to be delicious. I'll sometimes sneak one in the mornings with spare change. It's not healthy, but it tastes good.

A couple weeks ago, I headed out to McD's from the office and got a big breakfast with hotcakes/sausage. I threw the biscuit away, ate the hash brown on the way back, and ate the hotcakes/eggs/sausage at the office. It was better than any fast food breakfast I've had in awhile, and only $6 or so with a Diet Coke.

Anyone else fond of a McD's breakfast?
our experience with their big breakfast a few weeks ago was the opposite. We had no choice, it was the closest place for us and we were in a hurry. It was awful: the eggs were cold, the pan cakes,OK,but not like mommy used to make, and the number of carbs: OMG, pancakes ,biscuits and potatoes all on the same plate, wow???!!! We did enjoy the potato patty or whatever you want to call it. Otherwise, we wasted our money. Never again unless a necessity will we eat breakfast at a McDonald's. I used to like their egg McMuffis, but that was so many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Cheap fast food eats is the reason America has an obesity epidemic.
Don't care how thick the meat is or how good the sandwich is, none of their "food" is healthy or good for you.

don't think that was what the OP was talking about and don't think we are the only country that has a lot of junky fast food dining: try Mexico, Canada and much of the UK. Weight problems are caused by a lot more than eating fast foods I can say this and I am not fond of fast foods.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:49 AM

17,681 posts, read 9,164,338 times
I like Egg McMuffins (not sausage) and Hotcakes.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Don't care how thick the meat is or how good the sandwich is, none of their "food" is healthy or good for you.
In moderation, pretty much anything is fine.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:32 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
A whole egg, a slice of cheese and an English muffin...

I fail to see what's so bad about that, and why you placed the word "food" in quotation marks.

Also, laziness and processed foods (which are a much bigger issue than fast food), as well as our car-centric culture are they key drivers of the obesity epidemic.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
A whole egg, a slice of cheese and an English muffin...

I fail to see what's so bad about that, and why you placed the word "food" in quotation marks.

Also, laziness and processed foods (which are a much bigger issue than fast food), as well as our car-centric culture are they key drivers of the obesity epidemic.
Don't forget the Canadian bacon.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:23 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
No one said it was healthy for you. It's fast and convenient and most people think it tastes pretty good for the cost. People are already well aware that's it's greasy and full of salt.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:42 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I used to love Egg McMuffins, now they seem to very dry and sort of bland to me.

Those .99 Sausage biscuits are great though if I'm going somewhere early and don't want to eat at home.

The Egg McMuffin is actually one of the more healthy options at only around 300 calories.

The breakfast menu is one of McDonalds most succesful options.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
I used to get breakfast there daily. Sometimes I would just get bacon and eggs and toss the biscuit out. For a while, I would get either the steak Mcbagel or the sweet pancake bread thing with sausage egg and cheese. However the Steak thing would always drip grease or sauce on me; and I started getting fat. The bacon is basically bacon flavored strips of paper as far as I can tell. The "cheese" is not actually cheese, it is processed Crisco with cheese flavoring. Not sure whether or not the eggs are entirely eggs. Probably not. They pretty much sell chemicals, not food.

The pancakes I thought were gross. Flat and hard and served with corn syrup dyed brown and fake butter. There was nothing good about them at all. Even the bird and the dogs refused to eat them. I really should not eat pancakes anyway. If I am going to splurge and have pancakes, I want them fluffy and wholesome with real butter and real maple syrup - which means I have to get them at home. No restaurant serves real maple syrup anymore, it is too expensive. There was a place years ago where we were regulars. We bought real maple syrup an gave it to them and they kept it for us when we wanted pancakes. They sometimes had to explain to other customers why they could not also get real maple syrup, but most Americans are so accustomed to brown corn syrup they do not even like real syrup when they have it.

I finally got organized enough to make sure we always have bacon at home. The local K Roger butcher shop sells excellent thick sliced peppered bacon. A couple of minutes in the microwave while I take a shower and I have a better, faster, healthier and cheaper breakfast. I even lost ten pounds. One in a blue moon I get up early enough to make bacon, broccoli, spinach, onion, peppers, garlic, Parmesan and Swiss cheese omelets. Those are morning feast days.

I used to grab a McD double cheese burger and fish fillet on the way home when I worked really late and just wanted to get out of the car in into bed. However I was aware how unhealthy that is (more fake cheese, along with mega processed meat and fillers or fish that may or nay not really be fish.). Plus I no longer work late like that. Once again I can make an excellent 100% angus beef patty with cheese and bacon mixed into it in about ten minutes from freezer to bun. I drop it on a nice fresh onion bread bun (instead of that thing McDonald's passes off as bread). Viola! A quicker, better, healthier, cheaper dinner when I just need something quick and do not have time for an actual dinner. I can nuke a bit of broccoli to go with it if I want to be healthy.

I do not miss McDonalds. Pretty much the only thing I will get there now is iced tea since they actually brew it daily. However they often brew it in a pot that was used for coffeee and not cleaned out well. Usually I just skip paying a dollar to likely dump some coffee flavored iced tea out the window and just make some quality tea when I get to work. Once in a while I will risk McDonalds for tea if I am feeling lazy.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 01-04-2019 at 09:21 AM..

Old 01-04-2019, 09:10 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've never been a big fan of McDonald's burgers and other daytime offerings. However, they're the most convenient stop for me on my way to work now for a fast food breakfast.

They used to offer a chicken biscuit for either $1 or $2, but it was pressed meat. They're now offering a thick cut of all breast meat for $3. In my local area, that's cheaper than Hardee's or Bojangle's for a chicken biscuit.

A McD's sausage biscuit is a buck. For some reason, I find their greasy, fatty sausage patty to be delicious. I'll sometimes sneak one in the mornings with spare change. It's not healthy, but it tastes good.

A couple weeks ago, I headed out to McD's from the office and got a big breakfast with hotcakes/sausage. I threw the biscuit away, ate the hash brown on the way back, and ate the hotcakes/eggs/sausage at the office. It was better than any fast food breakfast I've had in awhile, and only $6 or so with a Diet Coke.

Anyone else fond of a McD's breakfast?
I rarely eat there except when traveling, esp. abroad to places with local breakfasts I don’t care for. But when I do, it’s almost only for some of their breakfasts items. Usually the Egg McMuffin. Helps fuel a long day of walking.

...OK, maybe also for their fries (better when fried in beef tallow)...and filet o fish (not as good as olden days)...ok, also sometimes for the fried apple and cherry pies.

(You drink a Diet Coke with breakfast?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I used to love Egg McMuffins, now they seem to very dry and sort of bland to me.

Those .99 Sausage biscuits are great though if I'm going somewhere early and don't want to eat at home.
Agreed muffin is dry. I sometimes need to add more butter, syrup, ketchup, or combinations thereof. I’m generally a fan of greasy food (in moderation, of course), but find their biscuit sandwiches too greasy, even for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink