Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 09:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Those lunches never made me sick, because I threw them all away and bought food in the cafeteria.
Did you have unlimited access to cash when you were a student?

I know I was either sent to school with a lunch or lunch money...not both. So if I tossed my lunch out, I'd be hungry, because I wasn't sent with money if I brought lunch from home.

Now, of course, schools typically have student accounts set up that lunch money can be deposited into online. But this wasn't the case when i was in school, and i don't it was when you were a student, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 09:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
For anyone who just cuts the mold off their fruit and cheeses, you may want to discontinue that practice. Mold sends out long "arms" and just because you cut off what's visible doesn't mean you're getting it all.

Depends on the density of the cheese. A hard cheese with mold on the rind can safely be trimmed. Suffer cheeses, not so much.

And bad spots on things like apples, onions, potato, etc. Can be safely pared out.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:39 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Every day when I was in high school, my mom would pack me a sack lunch. A couple of sandwiches with some kind of meat and cheese in them, with her home-made mayonnaise that contained raw eggs. A piece of fruit and a container with a casserole dish. They sat unrefrigerated for several hours in my locker. Those lunches never made me sick, because I threw them all away and bought food in the cafeteria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
That's an awful waste of food, and hurtful to your mother if she found out. Why didn't you just tell her you preferred cafeteria lunches, or that you had no place to keep them safe/refrigerated?

I know in elementary and middle school, you can get teased for bringing a "weird" lunch, and your safest bet is to buy it in the cafeteria. But in high school, no one cares what you eat. Not necessarily because people are more mature, but because they actually don't care. Not to mention, today's school lunches are crap, due to #ThanksMichelleObama and her lunch requirements.
Since you don't know the background of what I said, your answer could be expected. And you're assuming that my mother was a rational and reasonable person. In fact, I was forbidden to eat or do anything over which she didn't have complete control. I had to ignore her and forge my own life. The idea that I could tell her what I preferred and get a favorable response, is humorous. The thread topic about unrefrigerated food being safe to eat, was not an issue. I was just trying to make a joke out of the twist that took in my life. Tossing those lunches and eating and doing things outside of her knowledge, was a survival tactic for me.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:37 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Since you don't know the background of what I said, your answer could be expected. And you're assuming that my mother was a rational and reasonable person. In fact, I was forbidden to eat or do anything over which she didn't have complete control. I had to ignore her and forge my own life. The idea that I could tell her what I preferred and get a favorable response, is humorous. The thread topic about unrefrigerated food being safe to eat, was not an issue. I was just trying to make a joke out of the twist that took in my life. Tossing those lunches and eating and doing things outside of her knowledge, was a survival tactic for me.
My mother didn't pack my lunches, so that part wasn't a problem. Starting in 7th grade, my mother asked me to give her some idea of what I had time to eat during the lunch break. There was always food in the house. I was 12 years old and could figure it out. At least I never gave myself food poisoning.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:34 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
My family was hyper-strict with virtually everything. But lunches was something they let slide. I suppose they viewed school lunches as an acceptable guilty pleasure, so they let me buy them. Which was questionable, considering how school lunches were technically healthy, but at least fitting in (read: bringing an uncool lunch) wasn't an issue. And the rectangular pizza at my elementary school was amazing. The only times I brought my own lunch was on grilled cheese and ravioli days. Ravioli was bland as cardboard, and no salt or pepper was offered, and grilled cheese was disgustingly greasy.

Day camp was a different story. Competition for who has the coolest lunch was more fierce than "American Idol". My cold cuts sandwich, an Ecto Cooler juice box, a pickle in a ziplock bag, and a banana didn't hold a candle to some of the other kids' Lunchables and Twinkies. I just dealt with it, because... what choice did I have? Except on field trip days; that's when I'd take my allowance money and feast on whatever the destination's concession stand sold.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 04-08-2019 at 09:49 PM..

Old 04-09-2019, 12:31 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
Quote:
If by "ptomaine" you mean botulism, no. However they did die from bad milk. Botulism occurs due to improper canning.
suzy_q2010:

I used "ptomaine" as a period-appropriate (meaning: dated) term for the age group that paragraph my post was representing. It was once widely used as a general term similar of how the contemporary term "food poisoning" is now. Reread the paragraph with the term in-context and don't overthink it again.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:53 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Here's an interesting tidbit:

Should Eggs Be Stored In The Fridge?

The reason why I brought this up was because recently I saw video of someone shopping in an European store, and the store had all the egg cartons sitting at room temperature.

In the U.S., eggs are stored refrigerated and are to be stored in the fridge once brought home.

I wondered why, and then found that this difference is mainly due to the way eggs are processed before they make it to the store.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:15 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
that's exactly what a buddy on mine did... at school... i'd share whatever I could with him
we use to call his mother Margaret (after the carrie (movie) mother)

Old 06-30-2019, 12:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't think you understand the extremely slim profit margins most restaurants operate on.
Where are you getting the idea I don't understand? Of course I realize this. Our son in law has been GM of many very large, chain restaurants here and in the Caribbean. Maybe you don't understand what I was saying and why? BTW I don't actually mean 1/2 of the food is restaurants is thrown away but a large amount has to be, for protection against people claiming they got sick from what they ate at "Joe Joes" of wherever.

Last edited by nmnita; 06-30-2019 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-30-2019, 12:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
For anyone who just cuts the mold off their fruit and cheeses, you may want to discontinue that practice. Mold sends out long "arms" and just because you cut off what's visible doesn't mean you're getting it all.

In the old days meat wasn't that big of a problem. It was salted down, dehydrated, or smoked and we didn't used to feed sheep brains or antibiotics to cattle 100 years ago, either.

Also, I'm not sure there was as much ground meat 100 years ago as there is today. When you ground meat at a packing house, that meat can come from a carload of different cows. In fact, if only one cow is sick, it can contaminate 8 tons of hamburger. That's why hamburger recalls are so large.

Food didn't used to come from out of the country either. Even back in the mid-80s, I remember going back to South Dakota to visit my parents and wondering why they didn't have certain fruits and vegetables in the stores (this was February). To my mom, this was normal. What I was asking for wasn't in season. Now, of course, all the stores ship in food from around the globe. When was the last time you were able to get fresh caught shrimp instead of farmed shrimp from Vietnam?
Many cheeses are full of mold. The reason for trimming off the obvious mold it flavor not so much the danger of good poisoning. I think what we have here more than anything is the difference in how we were raised, where and when. Those of us over 60 grew up in the days when there was nothing like expiration dates or use by dates on food. We also grew up in the days where our we had very little cold storage as I have mentioned before. If we worried about spoiled food we would have gone hungry. We didn't eat spoiled foods, I don't mean that. We just ate whatever tasted ok. I am sure many of us, once or twice ate something that we should not have, but we did survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink