Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you butter your bread for a sandwich?
Butter plain or flavored 17 20.73%
Margarine or other fat (mayo, olive oil...) 21 25.61%
Dairy spread (brie, cream cheese... ) 0 0%
Veggie spread (avocado, hummus, ajvar, bean dip...) 4 4.88%
Other (marmite, vegemite, mustard, sauce...) 11 13.41%
Dry bread 29 35.37%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times

Advertisements

Never except when making Grilled Cheese. BTW. It's very important to NEVER actually cut the bread after making a sandwich. It should be left whole and intact otherwise the flavor will leak out of the sandwich and especially the bread :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 08:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This poll is about a sandwich (open face or regular) - NOT bread & butter, biscuit, muffin, toast etc.
I would like to know because, I just read that (most) Americans don't put butter on their sandwich.
Where I come from everyone puts butter on their sandwich - open face (most popular) or regular. Even on a sandwich with mayo type salad on it. It's pretty much unheard to eat dry bread with topping on it.
I would have to be very desperate to eat dry bread with toppings and I would dislike it, no matter what's on the top

What do you do? Would you care to elaborate?
Here's a story - one time my mother put 'butter' on my PB&J sandwich instead of peanut butter and I refused to eat it. She made me sit at the table until I ate it and finally relented after a couple of hours.

I prefer Mayo, mustard, etc.

IF I'm toasting the bread, which is rare, I might put a little butter on it but never on plain white bread.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:30 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
I'll use butter if making grilled sandwich, but I don't butter cold bread for making one. I'll use mustard, sometimes mayonnaise, seldom anything else.

I do wonder a bit when you say "butter the bread" if you really mean butter or margarine or if you mean any spread based on what poll choices you gave. I don't count mustard for example as "buttering the bread" but from the wording of the poll, perhaps you do. Which could account for the variety of answers.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:54 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
No, I actually meant buttering the bread with butter or butter substitute (some people eat margarine, or what they sell now butter with olive oil).
As you probably noticed by now, spreading butter on bread seems to be an European thing. Perhaps because the bread over there is different? I never ate white bread until I came to the US, I mean the Wonder bread type. I guess on that bread it doesn't make difference mayo is as good. Then yesterday I read about Americans not using butter on bread, and lots of them preferring dry bread for a sandwich. That's why I created that poll. Of course, as you see, lots of people use mayo, or mustard, or some sauces... Those people wouldn't vote at all because of limited choices. So, I added them to the poll. But I am mainly interested on the first and last choice.
It's not a critique or anything, just curiosity since I just don't know better. Even after so many years living here, I still learn new stuff about customs.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:29 AM

20,664 posts, read 4,433,674 times
I use whatever the sandwich calls for. A few quick sandwiches I throw together are.

Ham & Cheese (mustard)
Bologna & Cheese (mustard)
Turkey or Chicken (mayo or spicy mustard)
Grilled Cheese (mustard & mayo)
Grilled Ham & Cheese (mustard & mayo)
Cheese steak (mayo or spicy mustard)
Chicken Parmesan sandwich (pasta or pizza sauce)

Old 06-02-2019, 10:42 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
I have never heard of putting butter on a sandwich, so no I have never tried it (except for Grilled Cheese or Grilled Ham and Cheese). I do put butter on toast though.
(And on toast it has to be real butter, I don't like margarine)

On sandwiches I usually use mayo or sometimes some other sauce like honey mustard, hot mustard or Italian Dressing, etc.

My Grandma was from Germany and she hated White Bread. So I grew up with a big preference for the darker breads. (I do eat the white kind for peanut butter though!)

Old 06-02-2019, 12:26 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
On the rare occasion I may put some brown mustard on as well as some oil/vinegar but that's not what I call buttering. Usually it's salt, pepper and/or oregano.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I butter open faced sandwiches.

bread > butter > cheese/meat

Old 06-02-2019, 01:42 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
For those of you who use butter for your grilled cheese sandwiches ... I HIGHLY recommend that you try a thin schmear of mayo instead (yes, on the outside).

It browns and crisps up beautifully without the greasiness of butter. It sounds crazy, but I promise, it's a game changer!

Old 06-02-2019, 04:21 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
For those of you who use butter for your grilled cheese sandwiches ... I HIGHLY recommend that you try a thin schmear of mayo instead (yes, on the outside).

It browns and crisps up beautifully without the greasiness of butter. It sounds crazy, but I promise, it's a game changer!
I might just try that. I love grilled cheese sandwiches, but it's a heart attack on a plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink