Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times

Advertisements

There are a few select items that I can't get at a grocery store I will buy. I would maybe try other items but the cost is usually too high especially if I don't like it. I have noticed some of the store brand items of Whole Foods for example nut butters are less expensive.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times
I go there for a few specialty items. I do always drool over the salads and prepared food buffet. They have a good selection of meats, cheeses and breads. There is also a brand of pepper sauce that I am obsessed with that I could only find there, until one day I stumbled upon it at Safeway. Go figure.

PS - Everyone I know calls it "whole paycheck" also. Teehee!

Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
No WF near me. I shop ALDI for some things like yoghurt, block cheese, and pork chops.
We have a family chain and I do some shopping there after I check the Sunday circular for the sales. There is a Price Chopper across the street from the family chain and while they have much higher prices, the sales are worth crossing the street.
For an all-out "specialty" day, Wegman's has many items that our other markets don't carry, so I shop there sometimes. The prices on family-friendly items are excellent.
I buy paper goods, detergents and HBA at K-Mart.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:49 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
My daughter buys some of her groceries there but not me...prices are too high as many here have said.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 AM

85 posts, read 195,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo2705 View Post
I love mangos just as much as the next guy, maybe more! That being said, what in heaven's name are you going to do with 18 of them?! They are perishable you know! Opening an Orange Julius in your front yard maybe? Inquiring minds want to know!

Make sure you wash them all ASAP, so the fruit flies don't take over your kitchen. Good luck!
they last a couple of weeks, maybe 10 days. I pick some not so ripe and some ripe ones and let them ripen on the counter. Note: I do live in Seattle where it is bloody cold most of the time. so when i am at work if I've turned the thermostat down, its like being in a cool cellar.

I dont wash fruits till I am ready to use them. here is what i do with them.

when the mango is slightly soft and smells good, peel it with a sharp peeler, add a couple of tablespoons of pavels nonfat or low fat yogurt, and 1/2 to one cup of milk and blend it.

add less milk and more later to your taste. you would want to taste the flavor level that works for you. if you are feeling decadent maybe a tsp or so of cream... yum....

so if you do that with two everyday- one for me one for the kid. it lasts about a week and some. and then you could freeze the rest and mke popscicles in zoku

Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,863 times
I would go there for items I can't find at other stores that are imported. I can only imagine that a lot of upper income people shopping there since it's so expensive. For a household making 60-80k a year, that would eat up a lot of income.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:41 AM

878 posts, read 2,737,715 times
I certainly do not do all my shopping there but I do love their brand 365 and find those prices quite good. As an example their bottled water is .99 per gallon which is the same price as Deer Park at Walmart. I but their canned black beans and so forth. As I explore it more and more I find the things that are reasonable and that I like. Their bakery section typically has something on sale that I can get.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I am always buying some weird food there, that I heard is "healthy ", then, I get it home, and just cant wrap my head around fixing it...

Right now for example, I have Miso, tofu, kelp noodles, chia seeds, bee pollen, flax seeds, dulse, seaweed, apply just waiting for me to cook....

New food fail.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:24 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
aka Whole Paycheck? LOL.

I go there for bulk stuff and specialty/deli type foods I can't find anywhere else. Although seriously, I prefer to support locally-owned businesses and around here I can always find cheaper and better selections elsewhere.
But doesn't WF source their products locally, when available?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Whole Foods is good for bulk foods - rice, beans, grains, cereals. Less expensive than most grocery stores and because of the turnover, I imagine fresher. When I buy a bag of, say, dried black beans at Kroger I do wonder if I'm buying ten-year-old beans.

Also their deli and salad bar are fabulous. But expensive.

Overall Trader Joe's is cheaper. Here in Michigan, Meijers tends to have a great selection of locally grown produce (and farmers markets are the best) and a couple of small butchers near me carry cage free/pasture raised chicken, grass-fed and free range and/or Halal beef and lamb...so I have a lot of choices. I just spent a few days with family in Chicago and they don't have those choices; since they are picky about sourcing food (and can afford it) Whole Foods is a great option for them.
I would imagine that WF prices competitively, depending on the competition, but maybe not so much.
I would also expect that a lot of their produce is as local as possible, unlike supermarket chains.
How much economic independence does each store have, and how much does it send back to headquarters, and is that amount only used to create a sense of uniformity and shared standards in all stores and pay for advertising?

Is a porterhouse steak's cost the same in Texas as it is in New York?
Does WF actually sell tomatoes that taste like tomatoes, because local supermarkets, but for Campari, do not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink