Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I get sticker shop in Vons. I have never been to Whole Foods although we have one in the area. We also have a couple Trader Joes and I have shopped there because we get these TJ gift cards from work. I usually just buy flowers for my wife as the prices in there cause me to have sticker shock as well. Food4Less and Costco is where we shop and I doubt I will stop any time soon. We spend about $150 a week for a family of 7 and do just fine.
That's excellent budgeting! How do you feel about WFM profiting on the fears of their customers regarding GMOs?

Thanks.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:32 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
That's excellent budgeting! How do you feel about WFM profiting on the fears of their customers regarding GMOs?
Sorry, but when you start with a false premise, no amount of rationale on your part will be persuasive.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Sorry, but when you start with a false premise, no amount of rationale on your part will be persuasive.
Which part of my premise is false?

And what am I attempting to persuade people to do?

Old 01-28-2015, 12:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:

Thanks.
I read a story in the local rag that talked about someone's trip to WF's. When the writer spoke of the treatment in the store from the employees I figured that it was not the place for me. When the writer complained about the prices and how little she left with I knew that it was not the place for me. I have found over the years that I don't need anyone telling me how to eat or calling my food choices poison, which is in reference to the writers quest for some bread products.

We eat food: beans, rice, oat meal, vegetables and fruit. Most of what ends up in our home is non processed food. We don't drink sugary drinks and that was a problem that I did have for years. I don't remember how long it has been since I have had a Pepsi or any other soda. Water is the drink of choice in our home and it is non flavored. I just don't see the differance in food from one place to another. I see a major differance in price though. I would rather keep as much of my money as possible.

I also do not take kindly to fear mongoring of any kind. Look, I am not a WF's patron. I am not a customer of that kind of store. Personally I think it is a great place for the trendy set but find it non useful to our lifestyle.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I read a story in the local rag that talked about someone's trip to WF's. When the writer spoke of the treatment in the store from the employees I figured that it was not the place for me. When the writer complained about the prices and how little she left with I knew that it was not the place for me. I have found over the years that I don't need anyone telling me how to eat or calling my food choices poison, which is in reference to the writers quest for some bread products.

We eat food: beans, rice, oat meal, vegetables and fruit. Most of what ends up in our home is non processed food. We don't drink sugary drinks and that was a problem that I did have for years. I don't remember how long it has been since I have had a Pepsi or any other soda. Water is the drink of choice in our home and it is non flavored. I just don't see the differance in food from one place to another. I see a major differance in price though. I would rather keep as much of my money as possible.

I also do not take kindly to fear mongoring of any kind. Look, I am not a WF's patron. I am not a customer of that kind of store. Personally I think it is a great place for the trendy set but find it non useful to our lifestyle.
Sounds like you feed your family real food. I'm all for that. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:06 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Bottom line.....who cares?

There is a wealth of information out there and people can educate themselves and then decide for themselves and vote with their wallet.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:11 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,311 times
Quote:
You claim that Michael Taylor, Deputy Commissioner for Foods at the United States Food and Drug Administration, was paid off?

By whom?

Please substantiate. Otherwise I'll have to assume you're "poisoning the well."

When you come across a claim that you disagree with, the rational approach is to provide evidence against it. But many people are unable to do this. Instead, they dismiss arguments by deploying the "shill gambit." In other words, one party dismisses the other's arguments by proclaiming that someone is on the payroll of some agency or corporation.

Classic psedo-science debating technique.
He's a former Monsanto executive. Do you really need someone to draw a picture for you???????

Old 01-28-2015, 01:14 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,311 times
Quote:
Sounds like you feed your family real food. I'm all for that. Thanks for sharing.
How is food that is genetically manipulated and loaded with chemicals "real food"? That only goes to show that you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bottom line.....who cares?

There is a wealth of information out there and people can educate themselves and then decide for themselves and vote with their wallet.
This is true. I'm just asking for people's thoughts on it. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
He's a former Monsanto executive. Do you really need someone to draw a picture for you???????
No, just asking for you to substantiate your claim. Some sort of documentation.

Did you read what I said about shill gambit?

When you come across a claim that you disagree with, the rational approach is to provide evidence against it. But many people are unable to do this. Instead, they dismiss arguments by deploying the "shill gambit." In other words, one party dismisses the other's arguments by proclaiming that someone is on the payroll of some agency or corporation. It's a classic psedo-science debating technique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink