Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2019, 11:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Phobia is an unreasonable fear. It's not unreasonable to not eat something if you have good reason to believe it's unsafe to eat, such as the cook who leaves milk on the counter for hours. Is it really that hard to differentiate?

That's not what the OP described. The OP described throwing out ANY food given by someone else, not food that they have "good reason" to know is unsafe to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 11:50 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Gosh, I always super appreciate anything gifted that is home made. If I had a phobia against it I would make sure and let me friends know of my... quirk. The thought of throwing away something someone took the time and effort to make is kind of abhorrent.
I'm weird enough to take it a step further and think that if you flip the bird like that to someone who did something kind for you, even if they never find out about your meanspirited behavior, you're inviting some bad juju onto yourself.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
No We do not like to waste food. If someone gives us something we are comfortable it is good and safe to eat. We do not know anyone who would give us poisoned or rotting food. If you belong to a church and have any kind of crises, you will be inundated with casseroles from church members. It would be foolish not to eat them IMNSHO.

We even found a bunch of homemade casseroles and lasagna in the bottom of a chest freezer we bought at an estate sale. We figured it was probably pretty recent - most likely brought to the dying person by their church members in their last days. It was frozen solid and probably not that old. Great food too. Freezer also had some commercial frozen pizzas, chicken breasts, i forget what all else. Saved us hundreds in grocery money and we only paid $70 for the freezer.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:14 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
When my MIL dies last month, I would say that we received about 30 dishes from a wide variety of neighbors, friends and church members. It kept the 12 of us fed for at least five days and was greatly appreciated as the three sisters and the FIL had to plan the funeral and take care of the arrangements.

I would never throw away food. It seems to me to be such a waste to do so. And no, not all of that food was what we would normally eat.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:20 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,598 times
My next door neighbors are from Bangladesh. They were having some sort of big party with other Bangladeshis and their guests ran out of spots to park (parking it tight in our neighborhood). I saw them cruising around, talking to my neighbor, them trying to move cars, etc. So I walked over and told my neighbor to let his guests use my driveway because I had space and wasn't going anywhere until the next morning.

Later that night he and his wife brought me a big plate of food from the party. It was Bangladeshi food and I have no idea what most of it was (except the rice of course). I sampled a little of everything but threw it out the next morning. I had already eaten dinner when they brought it over and I was going away the next day for a few days. I felt bad about tossing so much food (it was a huge plate) but not knowing what it was or how long it might last, I figured when in doubt, throw it out. It was tasty though and I loved the spiciness.

As for giving food as a gift, I've done that a few times (again, a neighbor thing. A neighbor was having surgery and another neighbor made a sign up for anyone to bring food, a different dish a day for breakfast and dinner). I really don't care what happens to it after I gift it. Same goes for any gift I give. I hope someone enjoys what I give, but if they don't, I have no issues with it being tossed, given to someone else, or even returned to me. But maybe that's just me. I don't take offense easily.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
My next door neighbors are from Bangladesh. They were having some sort of big party with other Bangladeshis and their guests ran out of spots to park (parking it tight in our neighborhood). I saw them cruising around, talking to my neighbor, them trying to move cars, etc. So I walked over and told my neighbor to let his guests use my driveway because I had space and wasn't going anywhere until the next morning.

Later that night he and his wife brought me a big plate of food from the party. It was Bangladeshi food and I have no idea what most of it was (except the rice of course). I sampled a little of everything but threw it out the next morning. I had already eaten dinner when they brought it over and I was going away the next day for a few days. I felt bad about tossing so much food (it was a huge plate) but not knowing what it was or how long it might last, I figured when in doubt, throw it out. It was tasty though and I loved the spiciness.

As for giving food as a gift, I've done that a few times (again, a neighbor thing. A neighbor was having surgery and another neighbor made a sign up for anyone to bring food, a different dish a day for breakfast and dinner). I really don't care what happens to it after I gift it. Same goes for any gift I give. I hope someone enjoys what I give, but if they don't, I have no issues with it being tossed, given to someone else, or even returned to me. But maybe that's just me. I don't take offense easily.
Many years ago, we became good friend with some neighbors who were form the Philippines. They had a big multi family dinner in the back yard and invited us. We were he only WASPY people there, everyone else was form the Philippines. They had a small roasted whole pig on one table. My friend called everyone together for a prayer around the table and then announced that I was the guest of honor and was therefore entitled ot the best part of the pig. the then proceeded to wack off an organ that was sticking up form between the pig's back legs and put it on a plate and hand it to me with great panache.

Horrified, I pushed it presented to put some on a fork and eat it while everyone watched. then I just pushed pieces of it around on my plate until no one was looking and threw it away. Guest of honor or not, I was not about to eat a pigs privates.

Later, i learned it was just the tail and is actually supposed to be pretty tasty. For whatever reason when the roast the pig they make the tail stand straight up between the pigs back legs.

I guess I wasted the best part of the pig on that day, but I never really felt bad about it.

That neighbor was always giving us weird and odd tasting food, but it was actually quite good. We usually ate it, but sometimes if we were not sure what was in it, we would just kind of pretend and say we wold save it for later when we were hungry. I did not want any more pig privates.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
So because someone doesn't feel the same way you do about it they must have something wrong with them? Nice to know. I've said in other threads that I've been known to eat nearly anything, but because I draw the line at eating some things I suspect may make me ill, I have a phobia? Okaaay. Just because someone spent time and effort making something doesn't magically make something acceptable.
What you seem to be overlooking is: we can get food illnesses from restaurants or grocery stores every bit as easy as from food home made. Do you buy food from either of those places or do you grow all your own food? Of course we all know the answer to this question?

and yes, if you would never eat food given to you or at pot lucks you do have a phobia in my opinion but that is just my opinion. You seem to think differently which is your right.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:39 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What you seem to be overlooking is: we can get food illnesses from restaurants or grocery stores every bit as easy as from food home made. Do you buy food from either of those places or do you grow all your own food? Of course we all know the answer to this question?

and yes, if you would never eat food given to you or at pot lucks you do have a phobia in my opinion but that is just my opinion. You seem to think differently which is your right.
I know there are a lot of posts here but the only one who has even suggested NEVER eating gifted food may be the OP, but I am heartily sick of people suggesting that not wanting to eat food made by someone with questionable ideas about food safety is a phobia. I've had my share of praying to the porcelain god, so no, I'm not inclined to take my chances on food prepared under iffy circumstances, why would I?
Sure, there's a small chance restaurant or store prepped food I buy might be tainted, but I'm pretty sure if I eat food from that SIL I mentioned earlier my chances of getting sick will be a whole lot higher!

Old 11-15-2019, 04:52 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,500 times
Quote:
The thought and effort are the bigger part of the gift, not the resulting food. I can appreciate the thought and effort that went into it without having to eat it, and no it's not worth hurting someone's feelings over by telling them I won't be eating it.
I agree. I’ve eaten some soup or baked goods but sometimes its ended up in the trash. Yes often the people you know the best , you know more about their habits. One time someone made me some gravied chipped beef or something in a jar. It smelled awful even I opened it a few days later and I tossed it jar and all.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:01 PM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I agree. I’ve eaten some soup or baked goods but sometimes its ended up in the trash. Yes often the people you know the best , you know more about their habits. One time someone made me some gravied chipped beef or something in a jar. It smelled awful even I opened it a few days later and I tossed it jar and all.
I think there is a big difference between throwing out something that smells spoiled or looks tainted, or even something you taste and genuinely don't like, and throwing out something that looks/smells fine just because you "don't know where it came from."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink