Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 07:15 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times

Advertisements

I have to go to the store today. My grocery list looks like a normal run for us because we didn't go beserk and buy everything we could possibly need for a month. Which leads me to wonder, what is the point of stockpiling canned soups, rice and beans when you're going to run out of stuff like milk, bread, eggs and fresh veggies anyway? The stores aren't going to close or stop doing business. Yes, they modified their hours and our HEB is offering free curbside pickup if you're willing to wait 4 or 5 days for a slot to open up. But we're not going to NOT have access to food. I still don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I have to go to the store today. My grocery list looks like a normal run for us because we didn't go beserk and buy everything we could possibly need for a month. Which leads me to wonder, what is the point of stockpiling canned soups, rice and beans when you're going to run out of stuff like milk, bread, eggs and fresh veggies anyway? The stores aren't going to close or stop doing business. Yes, they modified their hours and our HEB is offering free curbside pickup if you're willing to wait 4 or 5 days for a slot to open up. But we're not going to NOT have access to food. I still don't get it.
WE pretty much are handling it the same way: we all need milk, eggs, and produce almost weekly. We are going to tackle Aldi's on Friday. Luckily we will not have too much to buy as we did Sams last week and the supply for the two of us is pretty good.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:09 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
WE pretty much are handling it the same way: we all need milk, eggs, and produce almost weekly. We are going to tackle Aldi's on Friday. Luckily we will not have too much to buy as we did Sams last week and the supply for the two of us is pretty good.
Well, good luck! I wish we had an Aldi's close by but we don't.

We went to Randalls - the more expensive chain - and they were pretty wiped out but we were able to get most of what we needed. I had to pay a lot more for some items but others I just refused to pay that much. I'm almost out of cooking oil and I usually buy the store brand 64 oz bottle for $1.89. All that was left on the shelf was Wesson brand - a smaller amount for $4.69. I couldn't bring myself to buy that. We ran out of white vinegar - same thing, a half size bottle cost twice as much and but I got the last one.

At this point I'm just going to run out of things and make do with what I have and hope that some semblance of normalcy returns to the grocery shelves in a week or two. It almost seems like the shortages are begetting shortages because people panic and see everyone else stocking up and do the same. Madness!

Old 03-18-2020, 09:16 AM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Of all things - coffee filters and Q-Tips:>)

Old 03-19-2020, 10:35 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I would think that more and more people, if they haven't already, bought, or are buying big stand-up freezers. I've had one for 30 years now. Even before the virus, I'm a senseless worry wart I'm going to run out of food one day. So, before the virus, my stand up freezer was stocked full and the freezer above my Refrigerator.

A Stand-up freezer pays for itself in no time. When Stouffers or Le Cusine has a sale on frozen meals, I'll buy 30 of them. Chicken on sale, I'll buy 6 trays of it, same with beef, pork. And I also like beans, always have a big shelf of dried beans.

Now I might just be crazy enough to buy one more stand-up freezer!

Old 03-20-2020, 06:18 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
SO got cabin fever and stopped at Aldi. He had the last two loaves of some foofoo bread and the last ones in the store in the buggy. Gave one to an older lady. She was happy. It does not take much nowadays. Share and it will come back threefold. Be ugly and it will come back threefold.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:30 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I spent yesterday on the beach. It was gorgeous and I didn't run much risk of catching a virus since there were very few people there. I'll be going home early also and have my fingers crossed that the airport won't be overcrowded. From what I can see it appears many tourists have already gone home. Bummer for everyone involved.

I feel so sorry for the people here who are dependent on the tourist industry for their living, They look very concerned and I'm sure the Mexican government won't bother to help the "little guys." I've been flinging out $2 bills like they're confetti and we're making jokes about good luck charms. I don't think many here understand the significance of what is headed their way yet.

I finished the day with a meal at an Argentinian steak house - petit filet with chimichurri, crunchy chewy baguettes with herb butter and baked potato with crema. My iced tea was brought in a pot, freshly brewed, with a couple of lime slices and a tall glass full of ice. Very nice presentation.

The cut was so monstrously large that I'll be having the rest of it for supper tonight. Picked up a couple of avocados and a lime to make my last fresh guacamole.

Sunday I'll be on the flying virus transmitter and then back to the madness. Fortunately I have a few "secrets" tucked away on shelves and in freezers to help make our meals less monotonous if that is a problem.

We're lucky to have been raised by Depression-era parents and can eat and enjoy a lot of cheap comfort food.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:40 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I spent yesterday on the beach. It was gorgeous and I didn't run much risk of catching a virus since there were very few people there. I'll be going home early also and have my fingers crossed that the airport won't be overcrowded. From what I can see it appears many tourists have already gone home. Bummer for everyone involved.

I feel so sorry for the people here who are dependent on the tourist industry for their living, They look very concerned and I'm sure the Mexican government won't bother to help the "little guys." I've been flinging out $2 bills like they're confetti and we're making jokes about good luck charms. I don't think many here understand the significance of what is headed their way yet.

I finished the day with a meal at an Argentinian steak house - petit filet with chimichurri, crunchy chewy baguettes with herb butter and baked potato with crema. My iced tea was brought in a pot, freshly brewed, with a couple of lime slices and a tall glass full of ice. Very nice presentation.

The cut was so monstrously large that I'll be having the rest of it for supper tonight. Picked up a couple of avocados and a lime to make my last fresh guacamole.

Sunday I'll be on the flying virus transmitter and then back to the madness. Fortunately I have a few "secrets" tucked away on shelves and in freezers to help make our meals less monotonous if that is a problem.

We're lucky to have been raised by Depression-era parents and can eat and enjoy a lot of cheap comfort food.
SOUNDS LIKE A great day

ive been in the food frenzy apocolypse … working 16 hrs a day to help stock the communities of the stores... meat is being allocated and prices are increasing..
im hoping things start leveling off from the panic buying....(where are people putting all this stuff?)
but in one store we've got 200 special orders of freezer plans

supply chain provisions is now a challenge with restaurants closed and kids at home.....most people are relying on grocery stores.
if the panic buying slows a bit then the stores can start replenishing inventories...
im limiting purchases to two items and we are letting seniors in for the first hour...

meat sales are unbelievable......just concerned about the supply chain ..
im hoping the so called curve flattens and we start going the other day

Old 03-23-2020, 10:37 AM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have quite a bit of meat in the freezer, but I’m very low on ground beef, and I use that most often. Hubby struck out at Sam's and Publix this morning.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:43 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Thanks for the laugh. Nothing left in stores. Shop rite only had liver and corned beef.

99 cents stores charge $8 for bleach $12 for Lysol.
Ouch! That would be illegal in California, they passed a law about price gouging during declared emergencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink