Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2023, 12:58 AM

936 posts, read 822,761 times

Advertisements

When I make iced tea (Luzianne) I like to add a little bit of sugar to the pitcher (southern sweet tea).

I keep my sugar and flour out on the counter in large Anchor Hocking glass apothecary jars.

Yep, I've accidently added King Arthur Flour to my pitcher of tea a few times when I'm on autopilot and not really paying attention to what I'm doing. I don't recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 05:53 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
When my ex and I had been married almost a year she bought a packet of salad dressing that you just mix with oil and pour on the salad. Well this "just learning" cook didn't have any corn oil in the house but had grown up in a kitchen where, if you don't have any corn oil, melt shortening. It works just as good. I came home for lunch and she proudly brought me my salad. With that first fork full, that shortening solidified ALL over my mouth! People talk about peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth, this stuff had it beat by a mile! My teeth, tongue, everything was coated and I didn't think I'd ever get it all out of my mouth! She cried and apologized for a long time, but we both had a good laugh about it later...once I got my mouth cleaned out.
Poor girl, I bet she felt awful....

sometimes we win, sometimes, not so much, huh....lol

Old 03-10-2023, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Thanks for the laughs, everyone! I have two:

1. In my post-college days I was living with a group of women. One of my roommates and her friend were going out one evening, and I told them I was making banana bread. After they left, I baked it, and it smelled so good! I waited until they got home to try it. We all bit into it, and it tasted awful. Something was not quite right. It turns out I used baking soda instead of baking powder by mistake which gave it such a horrible taste. We were all so disappointed!

LOL, what a disappointment....well, on the upside, it smelled good?

2. This wasn't a baking/cooking mistake but related to eating and a funny story nonetheless and was in that same post-college apartment. In college I had done a study-abroad program in Switzerland. This was about a year after that program, and I decided to recreate fondue one night for me and my roommates. It actually came out very good. Being young 20-somethings, we didn't eat at the table but in the living room. Well, somehow while we were eating our fondue, I knocked over the fondue pot, and the melted cheese spilled on the living room carpet! We immediately tried to clean it up, but we weren't quick enough and the cheese hardened all over the carpet fibers. It spread out to about the size of a lunch plate. For the rest of the year we had to live with this dried up hard cheese in our carpet. I told my roommates that I would pay for the damage when they took our money out of our security deposit when we moved out. But for some reason, the apartment management didn't charge us anything!
Oh boy, can't even begin to imagine....LOL

Old 03-10-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
When I make iced tea (Luzianne) I like to add a little bit of sugar to the pitcher (southern sweet tea).

I keep my sugar and flour out on the counter in large Anchor Hocking glass apothecary jars.

Yep, I've accidently added King Arthur Flour to my pitcher of tea a few times when I'm on autopilot and not really paying attention to what I'm doing. I don't recommend it.
well, you could name it King Arthur Tea, and add sugar anyway....lol

Old 03-10-2023, 04:01 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
I love duck, and I'm sorry that it's so hard to find now in my local area.

I had fallen in love with the tea-smoked duck at a local restaurant and thought I would try to recreate it at home. It went beautifully, and the duck was completely infused with the tea-spice-orange flavor that I sought and the lovely caramelized crispy crust that every duck lover craves. I went to bed thoroughly satisfied with my achievement.

And then I lay there wide awake all night long. Apparently I used so much tea that I was wired for the next 24 hours!

Old 03-10-2023, 05:00 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I've probably told this before, but when my kids were about 4 and 6 I made cinnamon toast for breakfast one weekday morning before I hustled us all out the door for school drop-off and work. The younger one, my daughter, took one look and sniff and refused to eat it. I started fussing at them in the way that mothers do when everyone is going to be late for everywhere if these two kiddos don't just eat their darn breakfast so we can move on. My son finally ate his entire piece, but my daughter stood fast - it was "too spicy".

I grabbed a piece and took a bite and realized that I had mixed cayenne pepper with the sugar instead of cinnamon so yes, "spicy" was right!!!

The funniest part is that my now adult son's wife laughs at how he will eat absolutely ANYTHING and I nod my head and tell her he has been like that his whole life!

The other funniest part is that it just happened to be April 1st but the trick was really on me!

Old 03-10-2023, 05:45 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
One more on my ex, but this isn't something she did. When she and her sister and brothers were much younger, her older sister made some cookies that called for a cup of coffee in the batter. Sister stirred in a cup of coffee grounds, not a cup of coffee. Her brother said they were good and ate a lot of them. lol

Old 03-10-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
i love duck, and i'm sorry that it's so hard to find now in my local area.

I had fallen in love with the tea-smoked duck at a local restaurant and thought i would try to recreate it at home. It went beautifully, and the duck was completely infused with the tea-spice-orange flavor that i sought and the lovely caramelized crispy crust that every duck lover craves. I went to bed thoroughly satisfied with my achievement.

And then i lay there wide awake all night long. Apparently i used so much tea that i was wired for the next 24 hours!
lol

Old 03-10-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I've probably told this before, but when my kids were about 4 and 6 I made cinnamon toast for breakfast one weekday morning before I hustled us all out the door for school drop-off and work. The younger one, my daughter, took one look and sniff and refused to eat it. I started fussing at them in the way that mothers do when everyone is going to be late for everywhere if these two kiddos don't just eat their darn breakfast so we can move on. My son finally ate his entire piece, but my daughter stood fast - it was "too spicy".

I grabbed a piece and took a bite and realized that I had mixed cayenne pepper with the sugar instead of cinnamon so yes, "spicy" was right!!!

The funniest part is that my now adult son's wife laughs at how he will eat absolutely ANYTHING and I nod my head and tell her he has been like that his whole life!

The other funniest part is that it just happened to be April 1st but the trick was really on me!
Good One!

Old 03-10-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
One more on my ex, but this isn't something she did. When she and her sister and brothers were much younger, her older sister made some cookies that called for a cup of coffee in the batter. Sister stirred in a cup of coffee grounds, not a cup of coffee. Her brother said they were good and ate a lot of them. lol
Yuck, I can't stand one ground in my coffee.....(yuck)

Funny though, can't believe he ate them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink