Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 02:14 PM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times

Advertisements

Does your insurance cover self induced meat poisoning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 02:18 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Oh, make the dog sick, have to take it to vet, and possibly kill it. Not my babies!
Glad someone said this! The insides of animals are not dissimilar from our own. Anything that can poison a human can poison a dog, other pets or wild animals. There's a reason for the expression "I wouldn't feed it to a dog".

Old 06-26-2021, 02:20 PM

1,371 posts, read 669,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't understand this. Does canned crabmeat have to be kept refrigerated??
Some does, not all. If it's on the shelf, it can stay on the shelf. If it's sold cold, has to stay cold. The cold pack crab meat is a better quality and way, way closer to fresh picked than the stuff on the shelf in the grocery.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:22 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would say no way. I feel for you, and I was in the same position about 6 months ago. I bought 4 16 oz. cans of jumbo lump crabmeat on sale, but because they were cans and in a bag with other canned goods, I forgot about them when I put the non-perishable groceries on the dining room table to be put away later. I didn't discover them till the next day. I, too was on the internet asking people if they could the crab might still be okay, but everyone said don't take the chance, so I reluctantly tossed them.
Did you mention they were cans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't understand this. Does canned crabmeat have to be kept refrigerated??
Don't know of anyone who refrigerates canned meats, do you? AFAIK canned foods are shelf stable, including meats. That's the beauty of canning!

Quote:
Some does, not all. If it's on the shelf, it can stay on the shelf. If it's sold cold, has to stay cold. The cold pack crab meat is a better quality and way, way closer to fresh picked than the stuff on the shelf in the grocery.
So the question becomes were they sold cold.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

So the question becomes were they sold cold.
From the size of the cans mentioned, 16 oz, they more than likely were because that's the size of the cans we buy cold pack at the restaurant supply place.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:33 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times
Color fading to grey. Smells. Surface of the meat feels like there's a thin film over it which gives it a slimey or slippery feel. That is only the exterior. You may have to cut away the exterior and do the same exam on the interior of the cut of meat. My neighbor claims cutting away the bad portions works for them. I don't trust it.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:41 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Sorry, I knew there would be comments.

My dog scarfs down disgusting deer parts he finds, and rabbit heads that have been sitting in the sun, before I can stop him.

Some maybe off meat that is cooked is a step up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-26-2021, 02:42 PM
bjh

Quote:
From the size of the cans mentioned, 16 oz, they more than likely were because that's the size of the cans we buy cold pack at the restaurant supply place.
Good to know. Never heard of refrigerated cans, but absolutely, if they're sold cold or the label says to keep them refrigerated.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:52 PM

Cold pack crab. We bought some a few months ago and someone on another forum asked about it. Note the "keep refrigerated" in the lower left quadrant

Last edited by Medtran49; 07-04-2021 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-26-2021, 03:06 PM

OP should be glad the meat was found quickly. Dogboa and I went to a farmer's market once and picked up a bunch of asparagus among other things. When we got home, both of us put away the things we bought. Toward the end of the week, I started looking for the asparagus for dinner and it was nowhere to be found. I didn't remember putting it away and neither did he. I was working from home back then and he had a company vehicle for work, so nobody had been in the car since the farmer's market trip. He decided to go look in the car just in case. Think late spring, South Florida, temps in low to mid 80s for highs already, car out in sun. He opened the door and immediately knew the asparagus was in there. It had rolled out of the shopping bag and underneath 1 of the front seats. Unfortunately, it was in a paper bag and had basically liquified. We had to.take the seat out, clean the carpeted floor, let it dry, put baking soda on it, leave the windows open some, then repeat for weeks. It took months before the smell went away totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink