Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 05:42 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times

Advertisements

gentlearts --- You are not an idiot. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I've had things like that happen before. For example, last year we went shopping. We brought all the perishables upstairs first (or so we thought). Later, in the evening, we went to get the non-perishables. Even though I check the bags with the non-perishables, I missed a package of bacon. Since it was warm outside, I knew the bacon was gone and had to toss it.

Another time, my husband got some frozen burritos. When we brought the groceries inside, one burrito was missing. We saw the cashier bagged up all our groceries and didn't miss anything. We have a hatchback and searched it. The carpeting in there is black and the lighting in the garage isn't the greatest. Weeks later, it showed up. Apparently, it fell out of a shopping bag and ended up in one of the nooks and crannies in the hatchback area. At least it was winter by then or the car would have reeked of spoiled food! Needless to say, the wayward burrito ended up in the trash.

As for your mishap --- When in doubt, throw it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 05:50 PM

11,505 posts, read 6,016,021 times
I have had food poisoning 3 times. I never take a chance anynmore. I just threw out some old baby back ribs. Not worth the chance.

Old 06-26-2021, 07:01 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Thanks everyone. We had 2 of the steaks for dinner. They smelled and tasted fine. The other 2 are in the freezer. I’m throwing the ground beef away tomorrow....too risky.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:45 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
The only benefit to food poisonings is the weight loss LOL

Old 06-28-2021, 07:51 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
The only benefit to food poisonings is the weight loss LOL
Digestive tract disorders are great for weight loss. Poor me. I'm supposed to gain weight. I'm supposed to do this while eating a healthy diet. I should probably start chugging olive oil.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:52 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,435,284 times
Default Buffets are back

I went to a local restaurant today that had a lunch time buffet. I thought they would be done for because of the hysteria but this was the same as before and very good. I will be a regular.
I saw a ad for Shakey's pizza lunch time buffet also

Old 06-29-2021, 08:00 PM

765 posts, read 621,879 times
As things open up, I'm sure buffets will, too. They're a way to get decent, fairly cheap food.

Old 07-01-2021, 12:03 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
An insulated bag with steaks and ground beef was left in my hot car all afternoon and all night. The meat is now chilling in the fridge. Does anyone think it might be salvageable? If I cook all the ground beef and freeze it, do you think it would be OK? If I cook the steaks tonight, do you think we’ll die?

Of course, they will need to pass the smell test first.
No. Don’t eat it.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 1,360 times
Question  

Hello dues how are you??

Does anyone know if they make an iced tea now W/O CARAMAL COLOR??

It doesnt need caramal color,it gets the colour from the RED 40 in it!!!

Back before 2000 or so NO ONE put this crap in the tea and it was delicious... I only drank Lipton iced tea mix then....

Now one of the only ones that still uses the original recipe lipton uses is 4C and this is the ingredients

Quote:
Sugar, citric acid, instant tea, caramel color, natural lemon flavor, artificial color (red#40)
Heres the original lipton ingredients

Sugar, citric acid (provides tartness), instant tea, silicon dioxide (prevents caking), natural lemon flavor, artificial color (red#40).

Does anyone know please if they still make any powered mix w/o caramel color??

Thanx

Last edited by spyward; 07-01-2021 at 02:24 PM..

Old 07-01-2021, 02:22 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
I came here looking for a spot to drop a minor annoyance vent about something food related...

Has anyone ever looked up on the internet, some fairly basic point of cooking, looking for instruction, and followed instruction given by multiple search result sites, only to have it turn out completely awful? Why is there so much wrong info out there, I would like to know?

I have made boiled corn on the cob many times, but I never really timed it. I just boiled it while I was making other food at the same time, and hoped for the best, with mixed results. A number of websites, when I looked not long ago, said to boil it for only 5 minutes...one even said less than that! Of course, this resulted in undercooked, tough, nasty corn. It just did not work.

I have experimented and found since that 20 minutes in the pot is the sweet spot for corn here. Afterwards I put it in foil with seasonings and butter for a few minutes. And it is perfect. PERFECT.

Is there anyone here who actually likes their corn boiled for only 5 minutes? Do I have peculiar taste? Or do the websites just have it utterly wrong?

(I am talking about corn got as fresh as I'm going to find it either from a farmer's market or in season at the grocery store. Never frozen.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink