Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2021, 10:41 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Those are food trucks. What we are talking about are what used to be "Catering" trucks. Food trucks have people inside cooking while these older catering trucks would have already prepared foods, and had a route of industrial or worksite locations every day. They would have a unique, musical horn that would sound when they arrived, to alert the workers. Unlike the current box trucks with kitchens inside, these were mostly pickup trucks with a camper shell/Shelved box on the back. They do still exist:

Complete Food Service, Inc. - Catering & Lunch Trucks
Used to have these on the college campuses too. Predated the food trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 12:05 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
They found out there was more money to be made by turning their "roach truck" into a trendy mobile food truck and locating them close to middle upper class shopping locations and office buildings.
Colleges, too. Food trucks do a booming business if they can get a license to operate on/near college campuses.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:06 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The infamous "roach coach" is more of a SOCAL phenomenon than anything else. They work a lot better in a warmer climate than say, in Chicago. Also, the health department in many municipalities discourage some of the things that you might see in LA. Also, where you have an assembly line where everyone breaks for 30-40 minutes, you really do not have the time to do the type of food that many food trucks were doing.

The food trucks in the Midwest generally serve prepackaged food, beverages and sides. In many cases, they serve Mexican food (as 65% of most Chicagoland production workers are Hispanic) from local restaurants but no preparation is done on site.

A relatively recent phenomenon has been caterers like sandwich shops and bakeries who set up a table once a week in an office building for an hour or two. The offices and businesses know that the bakery will be there once a week on a particular day. That tends to go over very well.

The in-plant cafeteria has become a thing of the past as most factories that remain open have automated.

One of the things that we used to do in Chicagoland at our plant was to bring in a caterer monthly during the spring and summer who would recreate the a limited menu of what you would see in a Chicago hot dog shop (ala Vienna Beef). It was generally a great hit.

Personally, I am rather amazed at the prices on some of these food trucks. I give them credit some some great ideas. However, too often what is promised is far greater than what is delivered.
I don't think that's accurate. I used to see them a lot here in NJ. I agree with the poster who said they left with the manufacturing jobs for the most part.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:54 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Those are food trucks. What we are talking about are what used to be "Catering" trucks. Food trucks have people inside cooking while these older catering trucks would have already prepared foods, and had a route of industrial or worksite locations every day. They would have a unique, musical horn that would sound when they arrived, to alert the workers. Unlike the current box trucks with kitchens inside, these were mostly pickup trucks with a camper shell/Shelved box on the back. They do still exist:

Complete Food Service, Inc. - Catering & Lunch Trucks
My first job in high school was on a catering truck, “Meals on Wheels.” My high school was on split sessions, so I worked on it at lunchtime, then got dropped off at school. One of my tasks was to chop onions, so my hands smelled all day.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:22 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times
Why am I falling asleep after drinking coffee???

Old 08-08-2021, 06:01 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
LOL! That used to happen to me in my teens and twenties. I put it down to having drunk so many Coca-Colas that the warmth of the coffee affected me more than the caffeine.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:14 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,758,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
That’s the best time for a nap. Studies have shown drinking coffee and taking a nap after gives a short 20 minute nap before the caffeine kicks in to wake you up.

https://amerisleep.com/blog/coffee-nap/

Old 08-09-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! That used to happen to me in my teens and twenties. I put it down to having drunk so many Coca-Colas that the warmth of the coffee affected me more than the caffeine.
Back in the 1970s, mother’s were told to give coffee to hyperactive kids. It supposedly worked in reverse on children.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:02 PM

668 posts, read 471,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post

Not quite, the ones we have around here are larger and specialized... here's a popular empanada one...
Attached Thumbnails
Food Chat thread - for general convo by food forum regulars-1.jpg  

Old 08-11-2021, 07:33 AM

Rant: I’m sick of the eggplant hoax. I was just looking up an eggplant lasagna recipe (instead of noodles).
The first instruction was to salt the eggplant to remove the bitterness. This is a clue that the writer does not know what she is talking about.

If an eggplant is bitter, nothing can be done to fix it. Toss it out. I’m not a fan of salting to draw out moisture either. The one time I tried that, the dish was so salty, it was ruined, so I never do that either. I fix eggplant about once a month. I bake it for eggplant Parm most of the time, because it absorbs so much oil when I fry it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink