Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2021, 04:37 PM

19,407 posts, read 15,227,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
But I love ham in lasagna. and jalapeno.
Okay, now you're just being argumentative. Actually, I don't think ham would taste bad in lasagna, but I don't really have any interest in trying it. Jalapeno, on the other hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 05:16 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,569,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Okay, now you're just being argumentative. Actually, I don't think ham would taste bad in lasagna, but I don't really have any interest in trying it. Jalapeno, on the other hand...
No argument. I do like a layer of thinly sliced deli ham in lasagna. Think ham and cheese sandwich nicely melted and toasted. No dill pickle though.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:28 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Watching Ina Garten. She made crabmeat nachos. Anyway, she makes salsa and puts parsley in it. Then she says, "If you use cilantro, I don't want to know about it." Who doesn't put cilantro in salsa?? I know a lot of people don't like cilantro, but come on now...

I do not add cilantro to salsa.

Old 12-20-2021, 12:06 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
I don’t add cilantro to my salsa either, since I’m not a fan. I do eat others’ salsa with cilantro in it, as it’s certainly very common.

I think parsley in a mango salsa sounds nice!

Old 12-20-2021, 12:12 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,287,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
No argument. I do like a layer of thinly sliced deli ham in lasagna. Think ham and cheese sandwich nicely melted and toasted. No dill pickle though.
Never thought of that.....sounds interesting

Old 12-20-2021, 04:13 PM

Right now I'm really craving a potatoes Au Gratin dish with layers of deli ham in it. Top it with some broccoli buds and its a one pan meal.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:00 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Default My Christmas Dinners as a child

My Nonna, who lived with us until I was a teen, was 1st Generation Italian American She made all her pasta from scratch. No machine. Rolled and cut it out herself. What we didn't eat that day, she hung from a clothes line across the kitchen, along with heads of garlic.

Christmas dinner she made Ravioli. Sorry, no WON TON wrappers but her own dough. Also very big Antipasta. Mom was the Baker. She made all the deserts and cakes herself from scratch.

My Dad was 2nd generation British. He did not like any of this, so he cooked his own Roast Beef. and Yorkshire Pudding for Christmas dinner in addition.

As an adult I am very sorry I never got the recipe for Nonna's Brachole, or Dad's Yorkshire Pudding. Nothing comes close. Nice growing up in a multi-ethnic household. You get to choose and sample.

Old 12-24-2021, 05:26 PM

We bought a ham that I'll have to shave some ham from for a ham and potatoes casserole. Also we brought home a 5lb package of slice American cheese and 10lbs of good looking Idaho potatoes. With a new jar of pickled jalapenos I'm going to eat good for a few days.

Old 12-24-2021, 07:26 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
On Christmas day, we had a meal that wasn't much different from Thanksgiving. When I was young, and my grandmothers were alive we had home baked cookies, pies, and stollen with marzipan.
We always had Clementines and nuts - walnuts, Brazil nuts, pecans and roasted chestnuts.

As I got older, my parents and other relatives used to order pies and other baked goods from a farmstand. My sisters and I continued to bake cookies.

I remember a few Christmases we had Chicken Cordon Blu.

My father had guite a few local businesses as clients and one was an Italian Bakery. We loved it when he bought canoli. They are delicious!

I like Tiramisu, but I don't think I ever tried it until the early 2000s.

Old 12-24-2021, 08:19 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
When I was little we had lutefisk, mashed potatoes and lefse with lots of butter. (Cod cured in lye and potato flat bread.)

Later when my uncle died we'd have my aunt and the cousins on Christmas Eve and then Mom would roast a turkey, dressing and all the fixings. Thats when she started making a nut and cranberry steamed pudding with hard sauce. She'd turn the lights low, put them all on a tray with a lit sugar cube on top and bring them in. All of us young people thought that was just the most exciting thing.

The next day, Christmas, we'd go to their house and my aunt would serve ham with a cherry sauce.

I know for a couple of years when I was a toddler all the Aunts and Uncles would come home to Grandma's and we'd celebrate there but I don't remember what we ate. I do remember the laughter, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink