Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 11:51 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of great shawarma for sale around here. I’ve never made it at home, and it wouldn’t be the same without a rotisserie anyway. I am not certain what all the spices used are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 12:53 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
There is a lot of great shawarma for sale around here. I’ve never made it at home, and it wouldn’t be the same without a rotisserie anyway. I am not certain what all the spices used are.
Well, needless to say, the Piggly Wiggly doesn’t carry shawarma spice, but I had all the spices for an online recipe....cardamom, cumin, smoked paprika, black pepper, coriander, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon.

Old 12-27-2021, 03:39 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
We ( us three kids)
Loved going to my grandmothers place
It was magical

We’d wake up have the tree/gifts at my mothers

Then dad would pick us up to go to his mothers

We had these candle/ metal angels go round in circles and make a lot of noise

We’d have nuts and fruit .. .. and do gifts before dinner

Then we’d eat usually a turkey and rib roast

Us kids would have a little shot of cold duck
And dad would make a toast

My mother would go all out for Xmas …

We could open one gift Xmas Eve

Old 12-28-2021, 11:27 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
We always had roast beef and all the fixin's. What I remember (and liked) best was what came later when everyone was sitting around in the living room:

Eggnog, nuts, some sort of little pastel colored soft peppermint candies, licorice allsorts, Claxton fruitcake. Ribbon candy too but didn't like that very much. Then maybe another piece of pie. Like that until they laid out a buffet of leftovers for supper. Seemed like all you did all day long was EAT.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:00 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,134,273 times
After presents and stuff at home, we would go to my Nana's house for the big meal. The aunts, uncles and cousins would come too. I have no idea how my Grandmother did it in her pretty small kitchen but she managed to turn out a Turkey, Ham, all the fixings along with apple, mince and pumpkin pies. All homemade. We had potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas and onions, pickled beets, all sorts of condiments. Amazing. I remember a battle with my cousins at the kids table over a toy centerpiece, and my Dad's brother eating so much they nearly had to take him to the hospital. Good times.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
The most memorable was when my parents had a huge, screaming, cursing, chase-each-other around the house fight. After I ran out of the house my father suddenly remembered his 8 y.o. daughter, heated up a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup & threw in a sliced hot dog. I still hate that soup.
Ha - I hated turkey and every year for both Thanksgiving and Christmas I had a hotdog...and a few of the side dishes. A couple Christmases we had a SMOKED turkey which to me tasted just like ham so I enjoyed those dinners!

Otherwise, the only distinctive thing we had was oyster dressing. Apparently an acquired taste that I didn't like until I was a teenager but once I "lowered" myself enough to taste it I got hooked.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:41 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Our Christmas dinners when I was a child were probably ham, mashed potatoes with gravy, homemade applesauce, corn, green beans, and sweet potatoes. There were always pies and cakes and cookies made by my mother and an almond letter made by my grandmother. We also had what we called "Aunt Edith cookies" because my father's childless aunt brought us a tin and presents every year. They were butter cookies made through a press with red and green candied fruits in the center.

One of my sisters still makes Aunt Edith cookies. Always had lots of candy, too. Our dinner food was usually good but rather bland and ordinary, but there were always lots of sweet things for afterward.

The best part was that there were always board games and cards. My family played games a lot, both as children and adults. Even 20 years or so ago, we'd play a few rounds of Scattergories on Christmas, adults and children old enough to play.

Those days are gone now forever, along with the family members who we've lost, but I have good memories.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:29 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
The only foods I can remember for Christmas dinner are cole slaw and mashed potatoes. My mother would get out the box grater and make cole slaw for every holiday dinner. It was delicious. I remember the mashed potatoes because I was the potato peeler for a few years.

I remember the orange and candy cane in the stockings. A big bowl of nuts with a nut cracker. Assorted hard candies. One aunt would give all the kids transparent colored lollipops shaped like train engines and Christmas trees.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:37 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I don’t remember Christmas foods when I was a kid. I know it must have been abundant and good, but I don’t think kids really notice....at least I didn’t. It must have been roast beef or ham.

Old 12-29-2021, 06:48 AM

7,369 posts, read 3,533,397 times
Thank you for sharing. I love reading all your stories.

In my Italian American family, we always did the fish dinner thing on Christmas Eve with linguine. All the women in the family would cook everything. It was always amazing. Christmas Day was always pork - a real special loin that was purchased at a small butcher shop and I have never been able to replicate the flavor. I have no idea what marinade the butcher used, I suspect it had caraway seeds but the rest is lost to history. My family now does spiral ham instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink