Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,076,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Now this is a funny story...my friend does not like dairy products...some...he is just a very "fussy" eater. So he is ordering his food and specifically tells the waitress he does not want any cheese on his salad or sour cream on his potatoes...she asks him if he is lactose intolerant...and he says he is...okay...fast forward to dessert....they have cheesecake, strawberry shortcake with real whipped cream, homemade cherry pie with vanilla ice cream, the waitress rattles off the choices...and my friend wants cheesecake. The waitress tells him it is made with dairy products....and would make him "ill" because of his lactose issues...so he chooses the strawberry shortcake instead, and she brings it out...no whipped cream. He really wanted the whipped cream....but made such a big deal about no dairy products on his dinner...he is too embarrassed to go back on it...she even brings him coffee with fake creamer because of his "lactose intolerance"....I laughed and laughed....and told him to give her a big tip....
Jasper, that is TOO funny! That's what I call a 'convenient' intolerance to whatever food/product someone dislikes. No real intolerance involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I got a strawberry huller recently, one of those pincher things that digs out the top and core of a strawberry, and I used it last night. AWESOME. What a handy little thing!

Amazon.com: Chef'n StemGem Strawberry Stem Remover: Kitchen & Dining

Love it.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Have you ever eaten something really yummy? Maybe you were just extra hungry? Or the food just tasted so good...I am not a "fish" person...but ate some fresh caught trout the other day...right off the fire. It was breakfast..and still cold outside...and that fish was SO good...maybe everything is better when you are camping?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
Fresh caught trout sounds delicious right now!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:16 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Have you ever eaten something really yummy? Maybe you were just extra hungry? Or the food just tasted so good...I am not a "fish" person...but ate some fresh caught trout the other day...right off the fire. It was breakfast..and still cold outside...and that fish was SO good...maybe everything is better when you are camping?
Hunger is the best relish.

Several years ago, I went camping with my husband's family. They used to do a yearly get-together with other families. Everybody brought RVs or tents. It was a big event and we all took turns cooking, although because of the size of the group there was lots of sharing and pitching in. My husband had brought up some nice filet mignon that a friend had given to us. Somebody had lime, another person had some cilantro, we found some cumin somewhere ... we ended up making fajitas in a skillet over the campfire. They were AMAZING and everybody still talks about that night.

Also, I'll never forget one time, when I had worked through lunch and was famished late in the afternoon. I have problems with my blood sugar so being very hungry makes me weak and sick. I finally got away and went downstairs to the coffee shop, where I ordered my usual: a BLT on wheat toast with light mayo. It was seriously the best sandwich I had ever eaten. I don't eat bacon anymore, but it was crispy just right, with good crunchy lettuce and ripe tomato and the right amount of mayo. Best sandwich ever.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:31 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
After the birth of my first child I was starving. The hospital kitchen was closed and I hadn't eaten in over a day. I will never forget the kindness of one of my nurses that went down to the hospital kitchen and made a cheese sandwich for me, which was all she could find. That was the best cheese sandwich ever.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:35 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpeaksinfo View Post
Where can i find all the recipes?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/recipes/

Old 07-27-2012, 06:15 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Wow, I am either going to need to quit drunken baking, OR my oven is broken. Tonight, we just had a few leftovers for dinner, so I decided to bake some package mix brownies. I firmly beleive I set the oven as I have a thousand times, and set the timer for 35 mins, per package instructions.
After about 15 mins, DH said, "Did you spill something in the oven?" I can't think of anything. So, after about 30 mins. I pulled out the brownies, and they were black on both sides.
I have never burned anything in my life, except on the grill. I fear it's the fault of my oven, but I will double check it when I'm stone cold sober tomorrow.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:01 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Default Wierd night at a restaurant

Okay, so this is not exactly a food post, but rather a dining out post. I know there's been lots of them before, but our dinner out last night, just about did me in.

We went to a local casual Mexican place last night. We'd never been there before so we decided to give it a try. It's a casual place, so I'm not expecting white linens or anything. That's fine. Anyway we go in and are seated immediately, in a back dining room. In the front dining room we notice they have a ginormous television which is turned on to some soccer match, in Spanish. Keep in mind, there were no Hispanic people eating in the restaurant. I was thankful we weren't seated in front of that. When we are seated, we notice there are 4 or 5 televisions on in our dining room, either on the same soccer match, or some infomercial for some kind of music collection with Debbie Boone. Thank goodness the volume was off on these TV's. I personally do not care for TV's in restaurants, unless its a sports bar or something, but I tried to ignore it. It was just that there were 2 of them, directly behind and over my hubby's head and every time I looked up at him, I saw them. I kept thinking, "I wish they at least had on the Olympics". In the background they had some Mexican music playing, but it was so weird and tinny sounding, I kept thinking it was my cell phone ringing.

Every time one of the staff came through the dining room, they would stare up at the TV with the soccer match on. Very annoying. Anyway, we ordered quickly and sat their eating the chips and queso they brought. Quickly, our food arrived. The waiter walked up, holding our plates and just stood there. He just stood there holding our plates and staring at the TV. We thought, maybe our drinks or something were in his way, so we pushed our drinks back, moved our silverware and the chips to the side and just sat there with our hands in our laps waiting for him put our plates down. He just stood there. Holding our plates and watching TV for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, he put the plates down. But instead of walking away, he just continued to stand at our table, staring up at the TV. At one point he just leaned on the end of our booth beside my husband. Staring. Just Staring. Finally after a few minutes he walked away.

In the mean time, while we were waiting for our food, another couple walks in. I'm guessing the man in probably in his 40's. The woman is probably in her 20's. They are seated at a rectangular table for 4, 2 seats on each side of the table, across from us. The woman puts one leg up in the chair and sits on it. Then she takes her other foot and plants it flat onto the empty chair next to her, so that her knee is up to her chest. She is wearing some pretty short shorts. Very lady-like! Anyway, she proceeds to sit there and scratch herself from her knee all the way down to her more private areas! I thought surely, when they bring her food, she will put her leg down, but NO! She ate her meal with her leg all up and spread wide open. She even had to reach around her own leg occasionally. There were no table cloths to hide any of this. Hubby and I just sit there and stared at each other. It was all I could do to not burst out laughing, or to just get up and walk out.

And on top of that, there was guy sitting behind me, and across the isle, who was sitting with one leg under the table, and the other out in the isle. His legs were at a 90 degree angle, and he was wearing shorts as well, so everyone was getting a nice look at his more private areas as well.

It was just the weirdest night. Were the people all raised in barns or what? And why do places like this put their TV's on channels that none of their patrons care about?

Sorry I just had to vent!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Okay, so this is not exactly a food post, but rather a dining out post. I know there's been lots of them before, but our dinner out last night, just about did me in.

We went to a local casual Mexican place last night. We'd never been there before so we decided to give it a try. It's a casual place, so I'm not expecting white linens or anything. That's fine. Anyway we go in and are seated immediately, in a back dining room. In the front dining room we notice they have a ginormous television which is turned on to some soccer match, in Spanish. Keep in mind, there were no Hispanic people eating in the restaurant. I was thankful we weren't seated in front of that. When we are seated, we notice there are 4 or 5 televisions on in our dining room, either on the same soccer match, or some infomercial for some kind of music collection with Debbie Boone. Thank goodness the volume was off on these TV's. I personally do not care for TV's in restaurants, unless its a sports bar or something, but I tried to ignore it. It was just that there were 2 of them, directly behind and over my hubby's head and every time I looked up at him, I saw them. I kept thinking, "I wish they at least had on the Olympics". In the background they had some Mexican music playing, but it was so weird and tinny sounding, I kept thinking it was my cell phone ringing.

Every time one of the staff came through the dining room, they would stare up at the TV with the soccer match on. Very annoying. Anyway, we ordered quickly and sat their eating the chips and queso they brought. Quickly, our food arrived. The waiter walked up, holding our plates and just stood there. He just stood there holding our plates and staring at the TV. We thought, maybe our drinks or something were in his way, so we pushed our drinks back, moved our silverware and the chips to the side and just sat there with our hands in our laps waiting for him put our plates down. He just stood there. Holding our plates and watching TV for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, he put the plates down. But instead of walking away, he just continued to stand at our table, staring up at the TV. At one point he just leaned on the end of our booth beside my husband. Staring. Just Staring. Finally after a few minutes he walked away.

In the mean time, while we were waiting for our food, another couple walks in. I'm guessing the man in probably in his 40's. The woman is probably in her 20's. They are seated at a rectangular table for 4, 2 seats on each side of the table, across from us. The woman puts one leg up in the chair and sits on it. Then she takes her other foot and plants it flat onto the empty chair next to her, so that her knee is up to her chest. She is wearing some pretty short shorts. Very lady-like! Anyway, she proceeds to sit there and scratch herself from her knee all the way down to her more private areas! I thought surely, when they bring her food, she will put her leg down, but NO! She ate her meal with her leg all up and spread wide open. She even had to reach around her own leg occasionally. There were no table cloths to hide any of this. Hubby and I just sit there and stared at each other. It was all I could do to not burst out laughing, or to just get up and walk out.

And on top of that, there was guy sitting behind me, and across the isle, who was sitting with one leg under the table, and the other out in the isle. His legs were at a 90 degree angle, and he was wearing shorts as well, so everyone was getting a nice look at his more private areas as well.

It was just the weirdest night. Were the people all raised in barns or what? And why do places like this put their TV's on channels that none of their patrons care about?

Sorry I just had to vent!
Was the food good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink