Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:36 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,766,438 times

Advertisements

When my kids were in elementary school, they took PBJ sandwiches for lunch nearly every day. Every day. A sandwich, some fruit (apple slices, grapes, orange slices), a small bag of chips. They were active. Outdoor recess for 30 minutes through 6th grade. Usually some after school activity (soccer, baseball, taekwondo, music lessons). All were skinny little sticks. One still is. Two are now "built" since they started lifting weights, and one does P90X or the Insanity workouts.

PBJ worked great because it did not need to be cold, would not spoil, and the whole kit and kaboodle could be tossed (baggies, paper sack). I tried the regular lunch boxes for a time....nothing more disgusting than a lunch box that has gotten "lost" then found a week later. Happened more than a few times, so to paper and plastic we went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 06:31 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,491 times
Default What's in the lunchbox today?

Anyone want to do a what's in your lunchbox ongoing thread? My kids are only in their 3rd week of school and I already need some inspiration. I try to look on pintrest to get ideas but hearing from real people, not professional bloggers would be great. I pack for two girls, 2nd and 11th grade. Today was:

2nd grader--wheat thin crackers, deli roast beef, colby jack cheese cubes, raisins, carrots with ranch, Cheetos and apple juice.

11th grader-- a flatbread wrap with roast beef, swiss, lettuce, tomato, and mayo, yogurt, apple, carrots with ranch, water.

Trying to think of something other than a sandwich for tomorrow. Maybe a quesadilla??

Old 09-03-2015, 06:12 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,470,404 times
Sorry, can't help you with ideas. I will say a quesadilla sounds good.
I can tell you what I packed my nine year old for today's lunch. I packed a salami sandwich on scali bread with watermelon slices, a fiber one oat bar (don't ask, he loves 'em), and a carton of vanilla milk.

Last edited by magicshark; 09-03-2015 at 07:08 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 06:47 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,980,478 times
Pizza rolls, Inca corn, tangerine, grapes, brownie, almonds.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 PM

2nd grader cheese quesadilla, apples, grapes, yogurt, apple juice
11th grader chicken and cheese quesadilla, apples, grapes, yogurt, carrots, ranch, water

Old 09-03-2015, 02:04 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
2nd grader- a bagel with ham on it, an apple, graham crackers, goldfish as a before school snack.

She doesn't like leftovers, so cold lunch is always that- cold. I don't use pinterest, don't cut her sandwiches into shapes, don't leave little notes (except on rare occasions) etc.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:27 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
My husband hated his school lunches as a kid because he would only get 1/2 of a sandwich with one slice of deli meat, 1 slice of cheese and the bread was stale. There was never a snack except one time she gave him cheese doodles. They weren't poor but my MIL was VERY frugal. His father would give him money for lunch and say don't tell you mother. He even had to bring home the used sandwich bag for reuse.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:39 PM

Whoot Whoot FRIDAY!!!!!!
The girls will be getting English muffin pizza, they can pick their toppings. They will also get sugar snap peas, pineapple chunks, and chocolate chip cookies. Sending a thermos of milk with the little on, not sure is big sis will want milk or water. Have a great long weekend everyone.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:10 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My husband hated his school lunches as a kid because he would only get 1/2 of a sandwich with one slice of deli meat, 1 slice of cheese and the bread was stale. There was never a snack except one time she gave him cheese doodles. They weren't poor but my MIL was VERY frugal. His father would give him money for lunch and say don't tell you mother. He even had to bring home the used sandwich bag for reuse.
That isn't frugal....that is called having issues and being cruel.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:10 PM

Nothing fancy for the little today
Bologna and cheese sandwich, pickles, strawberries, grapes, chex mix, and a thermos of juice.

The older one works part time at the grocery store and they had samples of a sandwich that she fell in love with, so we got the stuff to make it. Pastrami and pepperoni with a soft garlic cheese spread on sweet Hawaiian bread, she had the same sides as little sis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink