Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,716,694 times

Advertisements

We do the sandwich thing for my 3rd grader though I really want to stop that since lunchmeat isn't the best. She likes tuna, so occasionally I'll make her a tuna sandwich.

Try fave soup, stew, mac n cheese, pasta, etc. in a small thermos. My daughter likes salad so I'm going to try small salads and add ham or chicken, cheese cubes and pecans.

Different extras for my daughter include grapes, strawberries or an apple, granola or cereal bar, string cheese, Cheezits or some other type of cracker. MAYBE a few cookies every now and then, but not daily.

Don't forget the water or juice and a cute love note to surprise your son on occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 07:33 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,716,694 times
[quote=lisalan;15596907]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
^^I agree here. Pack it and if he doesn't eat it, then oh well. You can't be torturing yourself over this. Also, depending on his age, he may be able to start planning and packing his own lunch.

I went to a very strict private school that required parents to step away from preparing lunches at the start of the child's 2nd grade year. Thank GOD we could have peanut butter in my school. I ate it nearly every day with jelly or honey. My mom took her release from responsibility so well, she could not even bother to provide some guidance as to what I should pack for myself. I also got to pack for my little sister. In time, I figured it out and as an adult, pack my lunch to work 5 days per week.

As a kid, our lunches usually consisted of a sandwich or Campbell's soup in the thermos. A box of raisins. A few Oreos in a bag. An apple, banana, or grapes for a snack.

How about egg salad, or various lunch meats like chicken, turkey, pastrami, roast beef? I'm loving the little circular bread slices and bagel slices. I also love to make wraps with turkey, sprouts, cucumbers, tomatoes, cream cheese, whatever is on hand. Add a slice of cheese or string cheese on the side. Throw in a bag of Sun Chips, frozen Gogurt and a piece of fruit. These are all simple things he can start doing himself.

Does the school ban chocolate as well? Most kids with severe nut allergies will have reactions to chocolate.[/quote]

You know they do make chocolate bars that are peanut free.
Good idea on the wraps.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:41 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,024,798 times
I'm with the people who say pack what is available - he'll eat it if he's hungry. Way too early to let him boss around the cook in the kitchen!

I saw a cooking show that was dedicated to simple lunch packs for kiddos. I'll see if I can find the link.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,768,884 times
HHmmm sounds like dad taught him some bad habits. Us Dads tend to do that. I think Dad needs to fix this issue about pickiness. I'll bet if Dad and him make the lunches together the problem will go away.

String cheese and apples. Perfect meal. The string cheese can replace the sandwich. Send him to school with just an apple and some celery for lunch for a week. Maybe that will cure the pickiness.

My mom would have beat my ass if I complained about the lunches she packed.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:02 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,255,494 times
WHY is everyone so into forcing the kid to eat something he obviously doesn't want? I know many kids who'd go hungry before eating something they just don't care for.

One thing we never battle over is food-there are too many long-lasting effects that come from it. And since we all have to eat, for the rest of our lives- it's just not worth it.

Around here, you eat what is served or you find an alternative. There's always pb&j, some sort of leftover or something else that's quick fix. If you don't like what we're having, that's fine. I'm not forcing you to eat it. I gladly accept suggestions and requests on grocery shopping day and if they're reasonable, we can do it.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:22 AM

904 posts, read 2,876,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
WHY is everyone so into forcing the kid to eat something he obviously doesn't want? I know many kids who'd go hungry before eating something they just don't care for.

One thing we never battle over is food-there are too many long-lasting effects that come from it. And since we all have to eat, for the rest of our lives- it's just not worth it.

Around here, you eat what is served or you find an alternative. There's always pb&j, some sort of leftover or something else that's quick fix. If you don't like what we're having, that's fine. I'm not forcing you to eat it. I gladly accept suggestions and requests on grocery shopping day and if they're reasonable, we can do it.
Thank you. This is my way also. Did I mention that I am a school teacher? Let me explain what happens when you send things in a kids lunch that they don't like...they throw it away. That, to me, is a total waste of money. As for just not eating...hard for the brain to work properly when the body is hungry. That's all they think about....being hungry. Trust me. I bring snacks every day, at my expense, for the kids whose parents don't send snacks. These little bodies need fuel.
He is not bossing me around in the kitchen. We like what we like in life and he is always willing to try anything. I don't like mushrooms. Not matter how many times I try them, I just don't like them. Why should someone force me to eat them?

For the rest of you with ideas that are positve...thank you. Many, many good ideas here. Tacos went over well yesterday. I put meat in a thermos, lettuce, salsa, cheese, soft taco, seperate. He ate it Today...cold pizza. We shall see.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:55 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,255,494 times
That's good, VB. Maybe now that he likes the tacos, he may discover he likes other things made into tacos. Then maybe it could morph into lettuce wraps or something like that....it's a progress

One thing that I thought was AWESOME while we were living in NM... despite being economically strapped, the county we lived in provided ALL children, regardless of income, with breakfast, lunch and a snack- delivered to their room. Breakfast didn't start until school actually started, so everyone was sure to eat. The snacks were always fresh fruit- from the regular grapes and apples to starfruit, mangos and fresh pineapple.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:20 PM

50,416 posts, read 64,172,963 times
Wow, you just reminded me how awful making kids lunch was, and how come I just threw the $2.00, or however much it was, at the kids everyday instead of packing lunches. I know we all start out packing love into our grade school kids lunches, but trust me, you'll give up after awhile. I can testify to the fact that if you do, your kids will survive the chicken nuggets, french fries, pizza and mac n cheese (all served at the same time). If you serve the right stuff at home, they'll be OK.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 AM

904 posts, read 2,876,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wow, you just reminded me how awful making kids lunch was, and how come I just threw the $2.00, or however much it was, at the kids everyday instead of packing lunches. I know we all start out packing love into our grade school kids lunches, but trust me, you'll give up after awhile. I can testify to the fact that if you do, your kids will survive the chicken nuggets, french fries, pizza and mac n cheese (all served at the same time). If you serve the right stuff at home, they'll be OK.
Oh, I've gone that route as well. This is my 3rd child. I have packed lunches, bought lunches, done it all. My other two went through phases of eating at school, hating school lunches and back again. Last year my son ate at school almost every day. The cafeteria food in our school is aweful. I won't eat it!
Can't blame him for only eating the pizza and chicken nuggets.

Today's attempt...spaghetti.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I want to pay the money, I do. With three kids in school, though, it's about $7 a day. $35 a week. Over $140 a month. Can't do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink