Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:53 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,401,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Wow I never got to dictate my lunch. LOL. I ate what was sent or I traded w/ somebody. Orrrr I went hungry.

I make for my husbands lunches:

turkey, swiss, spinach and mayo on wheat
pastrami and mustard on rye
ham, swiss, and honey mustard
triscuits, cheese, and pepperoni with cucumber spears as a side
pesto pasta salad, sometimes with chicken, sometimes without
chicken fingers w/ honey mustard dipping sauce
^^I agree here. Pack it and if he doesn't eat it, then oh well. You can't be torturing yourself over this. Also, depending on his age, he may be able to start planning and packing his own lunch.

I went to a very strict private school that required parents to step away from preparing lunches at the start of the child's 2nd grade year. Thank GOD we could have peanut butter in my school. I ate it nearly every day with jelly or honey. My mom took her release from responsibility so well, she could not even bother to provide some guidance as to what I should pack for myself. I also got to pack for my little sister. In time, I figured it out and as an adult, pack my lunch to work 5 days per week.

As a kid, our lunches usually consisted of a sandwich or Campbell's soup in the thermos. A box of raisins. A few Oreos in a bag. An apple, banana, or grapes for a snack.

How about egg salad, or various lunch meats like chicken, turkey, pastrami, roast beef? I'm loving the little circular bread slices and bagel slices. I also love to make wraps with turkey, sprouts, cucumbers, tomatoes, cream cheese, whatever is on hand. Add a slice of cheese or string cheese on the side. Throw in a bag of Sun Chips, frozen Gogurt and a piece of fruit. These are all simple things he can start doing himself.

Does the school ban chocolate as well? Most kids with severe nut allergies will have reactions to chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 05:47 PM

16,180 posts, read 32,602,862 times
How old is he?

Have you asked him what he wants for lunch? Maybe you all can make a master list. Then you can plan menus for the week he will have had a "say" in what he takes. He gets to choose one fruit, one bread, one veg, etc. Whatever you decide upon.

Oh, and don't forget tortillas and pita pockets.

Basically, I would let him eat what he wants at lunch within reason or he could not eat at all. My kids pediatrician told me not to worry; kids eat when they are hungry. He was right. I had one son that always wore slims and was a little peanut and now he is a big football player. Go figure.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,352,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog;15595650[B
]PB&J is NOT ALLOWED??[/b]? What is this country coming to. Go Bologna and cheese. If he doesn't like it maybe he will lose some weight from all the high fat stuff hes been eating. Or get chicken/ham/turkey from the deli. If he wants something else he can prepare it.
The school is trying to protect children with anaphalaxis to peanuts and its an excellent move on their part.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:17 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,352,639 times
[quote=redjan1225;15595886]^^I agree here. Pack it and if he doesn't eat it, then oh well. You can't be torturing yourself over this. Also, depending on his age, he may be able to start planning and packing his own lunch.

I went to a very strict private school that required parents to step away from preparing lunches at the start of the child's 2nd grade year. Thank GOD we could have peanut butter in my school. I ate it nearly every day with jelly or honey. My mom took her release from responsibility so well, she could not even bother to provide some guidance as to what I should pack for myself. I also got to pack for my little sister. In time, I figured it out and as an adult, pack my lunch to work 5 days per week.

As a kid, our lunches usually consisted of a sandwich or Campbell's soup in the thermos. A box of raisins. A few Oreos in a bag. An apple, banana, or grapes for a snack.

How about egg salad, or various lunch meats like chicken, turkey, pastrami, roast beef? I'm loving the little circular bread slices and bagel slices. I also love to make wraps with turkey, sprouts, cucumbers, tomatoes, cream cheese, whatever is on hand. Add a slice of cheese or string cheese on the side. Throw in a bag of Sun Chips, frozen Gogurt and a piece of fruit. These are all simple things he can start doing himself.

Does the school ban chocolate as well? Most kids with severe nut allergies will have reactions to chocolate.[/quote]

You know they do make chocolate bars that are peanut free.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:21 PM

831 posts, read 1,587,626 times
My dd started middle school this yr and says the lines are too long to buy a lunch. I dropped her off at 8:05 and lunch is at 10:15 Somethings that she has taken so far or last year are: boneless bbq wings from the WalMart deli, olives and cubed cheese, sausage, egg and cheese on an english muffin, mac n cheese, bagel with cream cheese, pepperoni rolls, ham and cheese rolls (I get a bag of those frozen balls of bread dough to make dinner rolls, flatten them out, put all kinds of things in them, pinch to seal them, bake 'em, and she loves those for lunch) cream cheese and strawberry preserves on a big flakey croissant, Stouffers spinach suoffle, leftover pizza, pasta salad, egg salad, meatball hoagie, chicken cheese and olives wrapped up in a taco shell.

For side dishes I have a tiny little cup with a lid for ranch, the I send her mini carrots, broccoli, celery or cauliflower. I will sent a fruit cup or a frozen cup of yogurt. Apples, bananas, strawberries, pudding, jello, graham crackers with cream cheese and mini M&Ms, granola bars, 100 calorie packs, homemade cookies and muffins.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,291,508 times
Casserole... he will eat leftovers...right ?
Dried fruit.
Fresh fruit.
Rice Pilaf....Make his fav. rice brown is healthiest (don't tell him that) and crumbled cooked bacon, peas, corn, what ever his fav veggies are.
When I stayed with my Grandma I would eat cream cheese sandwiches. I know it sounds weird, but that's what I liked.

How old is he by the way ???????????????????????????????
Not to be rude...but he sounds picky & spoiled. You shouldn't worry so much. You try to give him options...my parents would of said, eat it or else I guess you'll be hungry.

As long as he doesn't have $$$ he'll have to eat his lunch.
In my day... I ate what my Mom gave me...or else I didn't eat.
If he doesn't eat lunch.... well I bet he'll eat dinner.

Thank goodness I chose not to have kids. Best decision I ever made.
I'm so happy I have dogs as kids. They are always happy & pleased what I feed them & they never complain.

Good Luck

Old 08-24-2010, 03:44 AM

904 posts, read 2,880,135 times
He's 9. Believe me...he is involved in this process. We are trying to come up with solutions that are healthy and that he will eat. As far as being picky goes. Yes, he is picky with lunch. At home he eats a lot more. His father is also very picky about food. He is very tiny and always has been.

A lot of good suggestions here. Thanks, thats why I asked. Trying tacos today.. Hope it goes over well.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:03 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,428,751 times
if he eats the stuff at home, but not for school ~~ hand him the lunchbox and let him make his own lunch. It would be a good "bonding" experience for DAD & son.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:06 PM

6,776 posts, read 13,585,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
if he eats the stuff at home, but not for school ~~ hand him the lunchbox and let him make his own lunch. It would be a good "bonding" experience for DAD & son.
Yeah...I mean he'll eat it at home, but not at school? Sorry that wouldn't fly with me. LOL.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,261,321 times
Maybe he's like me and leftovers just taste funny.

What about taking him to the store and letting HIM do the shopping (within reason, of course) and picking what he may like to eat- say try one new thing a week? Or maybe get him involved in the process of creating his lunch? I've always found that if they help- either in producing or preparing the food, my kids are more apt to try new things or expand their list of favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink