Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 05:12 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,744,624 times

Advertisements

I feel like the odd man out on this one since we never really experienced a hard-core shutdown. There was that relatively brief period in April/May of last year when all the restaurants closed their dining rooms. It had been ~15 years since I had gone to a drive-thru/pickup window, but that was basically the only option for a brief period. As soon as there were outdoor options and they had limited indoor seating, I was going back to restaurants in June. Since roughly June of last year I've been eating out only slightly less than in our pre-Covid days. I say "slightly less" because unfortunately some of my favorite places closed and never re-opened. And there were two fast-food places I "crossed off the list" when I saw they were not taking CDC protocols very seriously.

Keep in mind that some restaurants here are still only doing limited seating or no indoor dining at all, but it's up to the individual restaurants. Limited hours and seating have as much to do with the lack of coverage (help) than fear of an outbreak.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
We never ate out that much to begin with, and I'll still take a pass on indoor dining. Outdoors we have done a few times when the restaurant was taking appropriate precautions. We won't have immunity from our 2nd shot for about a week.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-01-2021, 06:43 PM

829 posts, read 629,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
We are vaccinated, but taking things slow - no rush to eat out yet. We will wait until this is over.

Been enjoying takeout and delivery meals from local restaurants though.
Same here. We don't feel this is over yet and the CDC is still not recommending even the fully vaccinated eat indoors at restaurants. We haven't eaten at a restaurant since March 2020 and we feel we can wait a few more weeks/months until things are a little more under control. That said, we are beginning to consider eating outside sometime soon. We've always preferred a late lunch/early dinner and that's typically when restaurants are less crowded too.

Friends are mixed - some have recently resumed eating indoors after being fully vaccinated, while others are also waiting - and since some of them are doctors, I feel we're making the right decision ... for us, for now.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:42 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I feel like the odd man out on this one since we never really experienced a hard-core shutdown. There was that relatively brief period in April/May of last year when all the restaurants closed their dining rooms. It had been ~15 years since I had gone to a drive-thru/pickup window, but that was basically the only option for a brief period. As soon as there were outdoor options and they had limited indoor seating, I was going back to restaurants in June. Since roughly June of last year I've been eating out only slightly less than in our pre-Covid days. I say "slightly less" because unfortunately some of my favorite places closed and never re-opened. And there were two fast-food places I "crossed off the list" when I saw they were not taking CDC protocols very seriously.

Keep in mind that some restaurants here are still only doing limited seating or no indoor dining at all, but it's up to the individual restaurants. Limited hours and seating have as much to do with the lack of coverage (help) than fear of an outbreak.
Same here, I've been going to restaurants since late last spring when they reopened for outside dining, once winter hit they allowed limited inside dining.
It's actually been kind of nice getting a table right away at some of the best places in town.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:48 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Yes, we started going to restaurants again as soon they reopened.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:23 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
It may ease your mind (if needed...) to realize that fewer than 1 in 300 people is contagious right now - so you'd need that peculiar situation where someone in your restaurant is contagious RIGHT NOW...
I've read that aerosolized coronavirus can stay in the air for 3+ hours indoors at a restaurant. So, not merely "right now" but also in the several hours leading up to your going into the indoors. It takes about 11 individual virus particles to infect a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
...and also that you are one of the folks with a vaccine that will catch COVID anyway. It happens. ...
Insert a Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry impersonation. "You have to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38mE6ba3qj8&t=102s

Old 05-01-2021, 08:27 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
And are you vaccinated or not?

I help elderly mom (both vaccinations a few months ago) and disabled brother (we finally both got 2nd shot 3 days ago).

I know most probably won't be like us, but we ate out today (on the patio) for the first time in over a year! Felt great getting closer to normal...the Huevos Rancheros were tasty that I got, and the omelets mom and bro got looked great! Crazy year...tired of cooking...We will go back there for $25 lobster Wednesday next week!

I been doing since covid started and since I am able to respond it means Im ok

Old 05-01-2021, 08:28 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
This "post-covid" spin after getting shot(s) is a dangerous construct. The OP obviously believes this to be true, and is probably in very good company.

This misnomer is what's going to keep Covid going way longer than it would otherwise.

It's a false security.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:36 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Yea its not post covid until its post covid AROUND THE WORLD. India and Brazil didnt do diddly and are paying the price. Its what we would see here except for the vaccines and getting rid of our own super narcissist leader and his rabid followers that will believe any nonsense.

See until its herd immunity world wide, its going to mutate in clueless countries and spread back if it happens to hit on a mutation that out foxes the vaccine. It needs to be isolated to point there arent enough unvaccinated humans for it to develop in and mutate.

Whats nuts, WE the taxpayers FUNDED the development of those vaccines developed here but gave the patent rights to the drug companies. There were Indian drug companies wanting to make the vaccines there but not allowed. CAuse apparently profits more important than worldwide herd immunity. Heard on news one company there bought rights to make the Russian Sputnik vaccine and it will be in production by June or July.

Greed will always be the death of the human species.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:16 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I wouldn’t consider us “post COVID”...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Nope. No eating out since March 2020 and no plan to restart until it is clear that vaccines are driving infection numbers in my area to a very low level. Probably some time in late June or even July.

I agree w/ the boave. I wouldn't consider us, "post COVID" either & who knows when it will be considered that. I'm not vaccinated, but even if I was...

Re: dining out, haven't done that since March 2020 & that was at Souplantation (aka Green Tomatoes). Dining out is nice, but no big deal to me honestly. I can get food to-go forever & prefer to eat in the comfortability of my own home in front of the TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink