Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you like best on your burger?
mayo 43 42.16%
ketchup 58 56.86%
mustard 45 44.12%
onions (raw) 49 48.04%
onions (fried) 24 23.53%
fried green peppers 7 6.86%
cheese 70 68.63%
BBQ sause 8 7.84%
lettuce 55 53.92%
tomato 64 62.75%
salsa 6 5.88%
other, I'll leave it in comment 27 26.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 02:03 PM

50,350 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If you eat burgers, how do you like them? Thick, thin, made with turkey, etc?

I found I like them smashed on the grill right from the beginning with crispy thin edges but juicy slightly thicker center.

I get a short ribs and brisket ground up for my burgers. It's the right combo for us personally. But I don't mind a regular ground sirloin or beef. I definitely don't like the really lean ones.
Holy cow, that would be a very expensive burger. I like to buy the market ground 80/20 from Sam's Club. It is good quality, and is usually about $3.99 or less. Charred and a bit pink would be my favorite, with no bun, mayo, low sugar ketchup, and all the veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 02:50 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
I never eat them at home. Part of the fun of burgers is going out for them. I like "good" cheeseburgers, but I'm not enough of a meat connoisseur to specify type of beef. It should be rare to medium-rare. I like rare better, but line cooks most places where I now live think a rare burger is done when it's still raw, so I usually order medium-rare. If I get American cheese, I prefer ketchup; with cheddar or Swiss, Dijon mustard. There is never mayonnaise, because mayonnaise does not belong with hot food.

I don't get fries, usually, unless they're included.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:34 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
If I trust the place I like my burger on the rare side of medium rare. With good char and some crispy bits. On a good bun - not too flimsy and not huge and crusty - just enough to soak up the juice without disintegrating.

On top - American cheese (sorry if that gives anyone fits), ketchup & Dijon or spicy brown mustard, lettuce, pickles, tomato if it's a good one (usually isn't).

Side - starchy hot fries - preferably double fried in lamb fat! Now I'm giving myself fits!

Old 03-04-2016, 04:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
my favorite is freshly ground chuck about 80-85% lean ...either ground myself at home,,,or bought in a store that I know still grinds it fresh

if you buy any burger that has a lean/fat % as in 90%...ask the meatcutter if it was ground right there,,,not shipped in from a thousand miles away,,,part of a million pound batch

Walmart does not have fresh burger,,,its shipped in....

many supermarkets now,,,,,bring in "case ready" burger,,,just open a box and fill the meatcase with packages of burger (they do this for efficiencies and trace-abilities)

only buy from stores that have meatcutters and ask which grade/description is "bench trimmings" ??
not case ready,,,not pre-processed tube burger .

ive ground hundreds of thousands of pounds of burger....from supermarkets to butcher shops to grinding at home

If anyone is concerned about getting sick from burgers...cook it to 160f and you will have no worries..

I like my burger medium rare....but I also know where it came from,,,,whole muscle fresh trimmings

with cheese and relish sometimes ketchup

Old 03-04-2016, 05:07 PM

23,519 posts, read 24,000,129 times
About a 80/20 sirloin patty (1/3 pound), grilled medium well. Lettuce, red onions, tomatoes, pickles and jalapenos. No sauces or mustard. No cheese or bacon either.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:12 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If you eat burgers, how do you like them? Thick, thin, made with turkey, etc?
I love my burgers a few different ways:

IN-N-OUT BURGER - Double-Double protein style (wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun). In-N-Out Burgers are near perfect so that is as simple as it gets.

World Famous Tommys Burger - Double cheese burger, no tomato, extra chili.

Neiman Marcus Cafe Burger - Grilled hamburger cooked medium with grilled onions, smoked cheddar, their secret sauce and on a brioche bun. One of the best burgers I've ever eaten.

Home Cooked - I pour 1/4 to 1/2 cap of hickory smoke flavor into the center of the meat patty ball, season with seasoned salt, pepper and garlic powder. Flatten ball into patty and grill over coals. Place on grilled whole wheat bun with spicy cheddar, mayo and baby leaf spinach.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Interesting the preference for rare.

I definitely do not like burgers rare or medium rare.

Don't like the taste or texture of rare so if has to be thoroughly cooked. Seems risky too with ecoli and all.
I can understand how you feel: Our son in law who loves his steak rare wants to cremate his burgers for the same reason. My understanding and I could certainly be wrong, the risk of ecoli is more likely from undercooked meat in restaurants than home cooked. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but was from original reports and info many years ago when ecoli became a well known threat.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:47 AM

50,350 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I didn't see the poll at first, but if you can get a sweet/hot relish, like Harry and David's, it is fabulous on a burger instead of ketchup.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
I like mine with a slice of cheese lettuce tomato and a splash of relish, this Shake Shack burger is close to perfection.=
http://aht.seriouseats.com/images/20...ckburger23.jpg

Old 03-05-2016, 09:31 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Onions cooked with the meat and pickles are all I need. Mushrooms, cheese and some kind of pepper may be added if I want it. Tomatoes are tolerable but ketchup is inexcusable. I'm a dry burger type who thinks sauces can ruin the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink