Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you call your evening meal?
Dinner 27 81.82%
Supper 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:20 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,919 times

Advertisements

I was curious what people typically call the last meal of the day that they eat. I grew up calling it supper, since that is what my parents called it, however now I call it dinner. (probably for the last 14 years) I am wondering if it is more of a regional or age thing and/or both.

My parents are in their early 60's and live in Massachusetts, however a friend of mine posted on someones FB wall about getting together for supper and they are in my age range (early 30's) and they are located in Massachusetts as well.

I grew up in Mass, but started calling dinner around my early 20's and live in Florida now (moved here 6 years ago - already was calling it dinner) and I never hear anyone young call it supper here.

What do you typically call the last meal of the day that you eat/where do you live? It's a multiple choice poll.

Last edited by Shorty458; 06-07-2014 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 06:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Breakfast, Lunch, Supper in that order.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:22 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
Dinner.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:46 AM

36,422 posts, read 16,034,254 times
Dinner

Old 06-07-2014, 07:06 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,698,138 times
Dinner.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:31 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,079 times
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

My Grandfather was born in 1888 and called them Breakfast, Dinner and Supper.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:40 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
I was curious what people typically call the last meal of the day that they eat. I grew up calling it supper, since that is what my parents called it, however now I call it dinner. (probably for the last 14 years) I am wondering if it is more of a regional or age thing and/or both.

My parents are in their early 60's and live in Massachusetts, however a friend of mine posted on someones FB wall about getting together for supper and they are in my age range (early 30's) and they are located in Massachusetts as well.

I grew up in Mass, but started calling dinner around my early 20's and live in Florida now (moved here 6 years ago - already was calling it dinner) and I never hear anyone young call it supper here.

What do you typically call the last meal of the day that you eat/where do you live? It's a multiple choice poll.
We already have such a thread; I will find it for you.

Back from searching. I actually found two threads with polls! The polls don't have location but some posters mention location in their posts. Here they are:

Do you say dinner or supper for the evening meal?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...vs-supper.html

Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,552 times
Most of us eat breakfast, lunch, and supper around here.

One day, a lady I know said she was coming over after dinner. We ran errands in the middle part of the day, expecting her in the evening. She called late afternoon and asked if we forgot that she was coming over after dinner. To her, dinner is the noon meal! I explained, and we got a chuckle out of it.

I used to work with a gal who called the food that she ate for mid-morning break or mid-afternoon break "lunch." Instead of saying, I'm taking my break now, she would say, "I'm taking my lunch now." Never heard that one before.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:18 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
Breakfast, lunch, supper. The word "dinner" is reserved for a big meal in the middle of the day, as in Sunday dinner, or Thanksgiving dinner.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:20 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post

We always called it supper growing up, but as I got older I noticed that the richer and more educated people around me called it dinner, so I began to do the same. I still think of it as supper, though, and now that I don't give a rat's azz what the richer and more educated people think, I think I'll revert back to calling it supper.

Sunday's midday meal was always "dinner", though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink