Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you call your evening meal?
Dinner 27 81.82%
Supper 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 04:47 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times

Advertisements

we always said supper growing up .... dinner was something formal

from wiki the word supper......

Supper is a name for the evening meal in some dialects of English. While often used interchangeably with "dinner" today, supper was traditionally a separate meal. "Dinner" traditionally had been used to refer to the main and most formal meal of the day, which, from the Middle Ages until the 18th century, was most often the midday meal. When the evening meal became the main meal, it was referred to as "dinner", and the lighter midday meal was called "luncheon", with a later, nighttime meal then being referred to as "supper".[citation needed]

Contents [hide]
1 Etymology
2 Usage
3 See also
4 References
5 External links

Etymology[edit]

The term is derived from the French souper, which is still used for this meal in Canadian French, Swiss French, and sometimes in Belgian French. It is related to soup. It is also related to the German word for soup, Suppe. The Oxford English Dictionary, however, suggests that the root, sup, retains obscure origins.[1]

Usage[edit]

Supper may refer to, on largely class-based distinctions, either a late-evening snack (working and middle class usage) or else to make a distinction between "supper" as an informal family meal (which would be eaten in the kitchen or family dining room) as opposed to "dinner"; generally a grander affair (either or both in terms of the meal and the courses within the meal itself), which would be eaten in the best dining room, could well have guests from outside the household, and for which there might be a dress code.[2] It is common for social interest and hobby clubs that meet in the evening after normal dinner hours to announce that "a light supper" will be served after the main business of the meeting. Supper can also refer to the largest meal of the day.[citation needed]

In England and much of Canada, whereas "dinner", when used for the evening meal, is fairly formal, "supper" is used to describe a less formal, simpler family meal. In some areas of the United Kingdom, "supper" is used to describe an evening meal when dinner has been eaten around noon. In some northern British and Australian homes, as in New Zealand and Ireland, "tea" is used for the evening meal. In parts of the United Kingdom, supper is a term for a snack eaten after the evening meal and before bed, usually consisting of a warm, milky drink and British biscuits or cereal, but can include sandwiches.[citation needed]

In Ireland, a "chicken supper" is a meal of chips, gravy, onions, peas, and chicken breast. Similarly in Scotland and perhaps elsewhere in the United Kingdom, such as in Northern Ireland, a fish supper is a portion of fish and chips. The word is used also as a modifier in this way for a range of other similar meals, such as a "sausage supper", "pastie supper", or "haggis supper", and sometimes indicates the presence of chips.[citation needed]

In New Zealand it is similar – generally cake and tea/coffee served later in the evening, particularly when people have visitors.[citation needed]

The distinction between dinner and supper was common in United States farming communities into the twentieth century. In most parts of The United States and Canada today, "supper" and "dinner" are considered synonyms. In Saskatchewan, and much of Atlantic Canada, "supper" means the main meal of the day, usually served in the late afternoon, while "dinner" is served around noon. "Dinner" is used in some areas, such as Newfoundland and Labrador, to describe the noon meal as well as special meals, such as "Thanksgiving Dinner" or "Christmas Dinner", the evening meal being "supper". The word "Supper" is also regionally reserved for harvest meals put on by churches and other community organizations: "Fowl Suppers" or "Fall Suppers" (featuring turkey) are common in Canada, and "Bean Suppers" (featuring baked beans) are common in New England and especially the state of Maine.[3] In addition, the term "supper" is most frequently used in the American South.[citation needed]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 04:48 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Yep...I call it food. It can be eaten at noon, in the afternoon or late at night. Why does it have to have a certain name? Why are Breakfast, Lunch or Supper/Dinner the usual associated names?
In my younger days somebody would just holler "Chow Time"

Old 06-07-2014, 05:12 PM

99,539 posts, read 4,490,492 times
I was raised in the South and we called it supper. When I moved to California, everyone called it dinner and that's what i call it now.....except when I go back for visits to the South.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:53 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,792 times
Supper is what my "old" relatives say when its time to eat dinner.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:16 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times
It always seemed to me that people who used "supper" were usually from a generation older than mine. Now that I'm old, I hardly ever hear it anymore.

We've always called it dinner.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:41 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,410 times
Growing up my Dad would call it supper on Sundays. He would say it was time for supper. At my job we have a dinner break from 3:50 pm to 4:30 pm. They call it dinner break. I guess for me it is a late night snack when I get home.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:55 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack..........in that order.

Don

Old 06-07-2014, 11:01 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,405 times
Growing up, we ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Supper was a late night snack.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:53 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,182 times
With my work schedule the last meal I eat in a day I call breakfast.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:23 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,123 times
I've always lived in the northeast (NY) and although my parents (born in the early 1900s) called it supper -- and thus I did too, as a child and teen -- I started calling it "dinner" by the time I was in my early 20s. Not sure why; probably because most of the people my age (who are now Baby Boomers) called it that.

Has anyone ever done a "soda vs pop" poll with a similar structure? ;-) I bet that would break down pretty cleanly along coastal-vs-midcountry lines, with "soda" being coastal usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink