Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
And again, there's so much chat going on here that I wish I could have joined in on today... you all sure do have fun in the course of a day!

Kimba, so glad that baby is home at last, and I hope she continues to thrive - you and your daughter likely won't get much sleep for a while, but you know how worthwhile it is.

George, congrats on the successful salad dressing, likewise to Rickers for fajitas, HawaiiLover for experimenting with Panko and arsbadmojo on the sushi! We had a lot of adventuresome types out there today, I see. And George, love that photo of your furry family members; I can sure tell who's boss in your household.... Just like in mine, I'm sure!

We had such a grand time with our weekly dinner guests this week. They're great kids, and the conversation is non-stop laughter and hilarity, plus recipes. They both wanted the recipe for tonight's main course, and since Elston expressed an interest in it as well, I'll post it here.

Posole (Mexican pork and hominy stew)

1 lb. lean pork, cut in stew-sized chunks
Oil
1 qt. beef or chicken broth
1 Tbsp. chili powder (or more to taste - we use at least 2 Tbsp.)
1 tsp. dried cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder OR 3-4 cloves garlic, mashed
2 tsp. dried onion flakes OR 1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. black pepper - can use chipotle pepper for a nice smoky flavor instead
1 (28 oz.) can white hominy, drained
Fresh cilantro, chopped

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and place a small amount of oil in the bottom. When oil is hot, sear the pork chunks on all sides, working with just half at a time to prevent crowding.

Return all pork to the Dutch oven and add the broth, spices, (and garlic and onion, if using fresh) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain the can of hominy and add that to the stew; simmer for 30 more minutes.

Serve in soup bowls with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro over the top. We like this with good fresh corn tortillas, and the authentic way to eat it is with a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice stirred in at the last minute.

Pico de gallo is a favorite dip that we make to go with all sorts of dishes. It's basically just chopped up Roma tomatoes with chopped onion, fresh cilantro, a jalapeno (or two) and salt to taste. The ratio I like is about 4 - 5 tomatoes to one small onion to a seeded jalapeno, with a good handful of chopped cilantro mixed in, but there's no singe "right" set of quantities or proportions. Adjust to suit your family.
This sounds really tasty. By the way, what is a hominy?

I'm going to try this the next time my hubby goes out of town. I would have made it tonight but I already thawed some hamburger for a casserole.

Tonight I am making a ground beef,cheese and rice casserole thing. I will let you all know how it turns out. If it tastes good enough for a second run through I will post the recipe.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:24 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
The ribs may get done in the oven tonight. There is a possibility of a thunderstorm in our area. I would most welcome a good booming storm with lots of rain. Ribs from the oven can be eaten too. Still not sure what we should have with them. To hot to use the oven for baked beans. I should learn how to make them in the toaster oven. Fried okra would be great but it is not in season yet. Maybe a dream will come in a nap or my wife will figure it out.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Noma - I am having your booming thunderstorm as I type! Eek!

Dinner tonight will be a vegetable rice casserole and some veggies.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Well, Diva TRIED to "short sheet" me! LOL...she got so frustrated she gave up and said "Well, mom, I really wanted to do this but is just too hard so... I am just gonna tell ya what I was gonna do..." I guess she saw it on Disney Channel and thought it was the best idea ever! LOL.... She got just as much of a kick out of telling me though... she was rolling on the floor laughing! I guess when you are six it is just the idea that matters It really was funny just having her tell me about it actually... She is so funny... I made the bed and got to sleep in peace....
LOL This is great! I'm glad my 8 year old missed that on Disney. It's something he would love to try. He called me at work yesterday and said that school was cancelled today. Then he yelled April Fools.

Jaxon, can't wait for Survivor tonight!!

I just don't know what to do for dinner. Between Survivor and soccer practice I may just grab a pizza on my way home from work.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 AM

722 posts, read 1,511,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
This sounds really tasty. By the way, what is a hominy?
Hominy is corn soaked in lye (corned corn)

Dinner tonight is tomato pie, never done it but sounds great, so I will give it a whirl.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:28 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Good afternoon all-we made it home about 2 hrs. ago and I'm all unpacked and re-organized, grabbed some milk, yogurt and fruit at the grocer. Tonight we will be going to our local Cheers!!!!!!

Trip was again smooth and uneventful-thankfully. We took our time for sure on this one but enjoyed. We checked into the hotel and ordered take-out or room service and just relaxed.

Sis-in-law and hubby are coming for the weekend and Mr. L wants me to make scampi-so big shopping tomorrow.

In a way it's good to be home only so quiet!

Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Lace - Welcome home!!! So glad your trip back was safe and sound! Relax and enjoy.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Glad you are home safe and sound. We may have grilled veveeta sandwiches tonight in your honor. Well truth be told I don't feel up to doing the ribs and I don't have any rub in the house for them either.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:58 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,417,496 times
Welcome home Lacey You always miss the ones you love but again love being back in your own home.

Tonight's dinner~ soup and turkey clubs.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:14 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Well, Chatterbox and I stopped off at my folk's to see them since they got home early from their trip. It was nice to chat and relax. Then I spent about two hours cleaning out my flowerbeds in the backyards and getting them ready... just in time as I have some of the perennials popping up right now. I forget what the heck I have there so it will be a nice surprise when hey bloom. I'm glad to have my chives popping up though- I missed them

So Chatterbox is soaking in the tub as she was my little helper and covered in dirt! Right now she is swimming away I am getting to type away LOL....

I picked up a pizza that I can just heat and serve from WalMart while we were buying some gardening supplies this afternoon.... they actually make a decent ready made pizza! I am quite impressed.... not many ready made pizzas impress me but theirs do. So, that will go into the oven when Diva gets home.... and then we will head BACK to school for the night.

Hope you all have a lovely evening.... I need to dry my fish off....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink