Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:24 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,002 times

Advertisements

I cannot beat the canned chicken in the domestic category. There's just no way to beat something like that. What did that chicken ever do to deserve such a fate?

Of stuff I have personally eaten, I will throw in canned tamales, hash, mushrooms, spinach, and potatoes. The vegetables I listed just don't taste right when canned, nothing at all like the fresh or even frozen equivalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 04:58 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
canned dessert........vanilla pudding or tapioca? No thanks.............

Old 02-11-2010, 05:14 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,901 times
What if the whole chicken was in a jar instead of a can? Personally, it doesnt sound all that bad.

Now, when I think about what goes into a Vienna Sausage (mechanically separated chicken) and various other meat slurries, I get kind of wierded out.

Think about this the next time you eat a chicken mcnugget.

Meat slurry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mechanically separated meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suppose there are things in a can, like sardines, kippers, smoked oysters, etc, that I know are gross, but if given no other choice, I would eat them.

I like italian sardines in good olive oil!

I would make a great chicken chile verde out of that canned whole chicken that would knock anyone's socks off! The bones add flavor.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
What if the whole chicken was in a jar instead of a can? Personally, it doesnt sound all that bad..
What do you think that people did before the refrigeration? They canned whole chickens at home. It is still done by the Amish and is a great way of preserving meat.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
I cannot beat the canned chicken in the domestic category. There's just no way to beat something like that. What did that chicken ever do to deserve such a fate?

Of stuff I have personally eaten, I will throw in canned tamales, hash, mushrooms, spinach, and potatoes. The vegetables I listed just don't taste right when canned, nothing at all like the fresh or even frozen equivalent.
Ewww, I forgot about canned tamales. Yuck! DH bought a can for Mexican night at our house recently. It's just not right!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
In the 1970s, my army food when out in the field was C Rations. These came in a small cardboard container box with some canned things and some pre-packaged things. The current vintage of freeze dried and vacuum packed MRE (meals ready to eat) that the military uses are gourmet compared to C Rations. I am not a fussy or picky eater, but I could not eat the canned scrambled eggs in C rations, especially if they were cold.

These days, the only canned food that I might eat occasionally is canned yams and canned pineapple slices. After the yams are heated up, the pineapple is served right on top of the yams. Quite tasty, and pretty healthy too.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
One of the worst things I ever tasted out of a can was the can of chopped ham & eggs from the MCI (Meal Combat Individual) rations back in the seventies. Eggs just don't do well in a can.

I worked around that by liking another meal that was unpopular, the ham and limas (or ham and m'fers, as we called them). I'd find a guy who liked the ham and eggs but didn't like the ham and limas and trade with him.

Other nasty canned items:

Vienna snausages
Spinach
Peas
Creamed corn
Succotash
Corned beef hash (the roast beef hash is good)
Squid in its own ink (my dog wouldn't even eat it)

I'm pretty sure this would qualify as disgusting:

Old 02-11-2010, 10:12 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
And I thought I was going to win with Canned Grapefruit Juice, until I saw that poor jellied Chicken.

But now if things in glass jars count as 'canned' (and people doing home-canning use glass jars), then a certain brand of Gefilte Fish, while second in visual hideousness to Sweet Sue's Chicken, probably tastes worse. This brand is extra-Kosher, because it's made in Israel (by hostile Palestinians, from the taste of it), and has so much flavor enhancer that two bites make me dizzy. Anyway, it has the same jellied coating that makes Sweet Sue's Chicken such a visual treat (we rinse off the fish, to get rid of as much sugary jelly as possible).

And in the non-Kosher category (about as un-Kosher as you can get), I'd nominate PICKLED PIG LIPS, in giant glass jars, from Winn Dixie. I was in Louisiana for the day, and turned the corner in the grocery, and there they were. A whole huge shelf filled with giant jars of the things. They were white, and floating in a pink liquid (bloody brine?)...each jar containing enough of them to feed a large gathering. Can't tell you about the taste, though. Obviously, that's not gonna happen....

Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
PICKLED PIG LIPS
You win.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
I had to go look...........

http://pic.pbsrc.com/spacer.gif

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink