Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:25 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

As most of you know, I always rent a car for my little weekend trips with my grandmother. Normally they give me a Camry, Avalon or Impala and one time a CRV. This time I got a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL. This is the first time I have gotten a Ford and have not even driven a Ford since I drove a 06 Ford 500 (that I was also impressed with).

Well I was a skeptic, but when I first got in the Fusion I liked it. The instrument cluster really caught my eye... its very attractive and nicely illuminated. Also the lighted cupholders with a soft blue light and the lighted console are nice and neat features.

Quality... this really impressed. IMO, it was even better than the Camrys (2009-2010 models) I had rented. The switches seemed better, worked smoother, the entire dash is nicely padded with a high quality material and I didnt hear not one interior noise in the way of squeaks, rattles or those "ticks" you hear when the interior is changing temperatures... like plastic rubbing together.... its void in the Fusion.

The heat/AC controls are a little low, but not bad.

Drivetrain is what really impresses... on the newer Hondas, Toyotas, etc, the transmissions seem to "hunt" gears too much and you can feel them shift... in the Fusion, you can see the tach move when it changes gears, but you can barely feel it changing gears and it dont "hunt" for gears by upshifting/downshifting constantly like the later Camrys I have rented have.

If I were to buy a new car.... Ford Fusion would be on my list.

Have you driven a Ford lately?

Well, gotta go... heading off to South Carolina early in the AM. Takes only 3 hours, but thats long enough. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Nice! I rented an 06 Fusion for work a couple yrs ago and loved it then. I've heard its only gotten better

Old 06-24-2010, 08:09 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Yeah my buddy's girlfriend bought a new one, black pearlescent on black. We took it for a ride somewhere, I loved it.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
The fusion is a cool car. I have never driven or rode in one of them, but I loved my 1995 Contour SE V6 5 speed so much to know I would like it since they are basically an updated version of the Contour.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
The Fusion has really nothing in common with the Contour other than the blue oval. The Fusion shares much with the Mazda6 - both chassis and drivetrain. The Contour was related to the European Ford Mondial.

The Fusion is a very good car. We have a 2008 4 cylinder SEL - still pretty new but has been very good. Roomy, nicely finished, and handles much like a Mazda.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 PM

Yeah guys I am telling you I am impressed... not sure how they will rate in the long run in reliability, but so far (we all remember how everyone loved the Taurus when it debuted in late 1985, but it was not very reliable in its first couple of years). Times have changed though and the American makes seem to be much better than they were.

I really like this Fusion much more than I did the 2010 Camry I rented in November... even the quality (things like the turn signal switch) feel more "solid" than the Camry. The 2010 Camrys had this annoying interior "tick" sound from the hard plastics.... Fusion didnt have this, even over rough pavement. In the Fusion, the switches just feel right... even the knobs you adjust the vents with are not cheap plastic, but like like a padded rubber wheel. Outside, the panels feel solid... this is not a flimsey car.... feels like a heavy car, but handles like a sports car. Rides good too.

If I could afford a brand new car, the Fusion would be on my list.

I am going to snap some pics of it in the AM before we head out and post when I get back on Saturday evening.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The Fusion has really nothing in common with the Contour other than the blue oval. The Fusion shares much with the Mazda6 - both chassis and drivetrain. The Contour was related to the European Ford Mondial.

The Fusion is a very good car. We have a 2008 4 cylinder SEL - still pretty new but has been very good. Roomy, nicely finished, and handles much like a Mazda.
Maybe so, but isn't it the replacement for the Contour? Maybe I am wrong.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Maybe so, but isn't it the replacement for the Contour? Maybe I am wrong.
Yeah, according to Wikipedia, the Fusion was a replacement for the now defunct Contour, but it came 5 years later apparently since 2000 was the last year for the Contour and the Fusion didnt come around until 2005. My aunts best friend purchased a new Contour in 1995.... good car overall...I do remember tranny problems surfaced around 70K in 2003 if I remember correctly

Old 06-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, according to Wikipedia, the Fusion was a replacement for the now defunct Contour, but it came 5 years later apparently since 2000 was the last year for the Contour and the Fusion didnt come around until 2005. My aunts best friend purchased a new Contour in 1995.... good car overall...I do remember tranny problems surfaced around 70K in 2003 if I remember correctly
Yes, mine had the notorious 3rd gear grind too. I just lived with it. I managed to find the review I made of it 3 years ago...

1995 Ford Contour SE Review (r101086) - Carsurvey.org

Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 PM

Hers was an automatic... tranny was slipping or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Yes, mine had the notorious 3rd gear grind too. I just lived with it. I managed to find the review I made of it 3 years ago...

1995 Ford Contour SE Review (r101086) - Carsurvey.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln