Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
Traction should be okay as long as there's no snow. But they might not last and even if they do I hear they're quite expensive.
Yeah! I might have to downgrade a bit.

I am not a speedracer anyway. I won't notice the difference. I can safely downgrade to something slightly lower end. My previous car has these great sporty pirellis. After awhile, when it was time for new tires, the tire guy started asking > why do you have these tires on this car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Well, all-season tires are terrible in the rain. Just something to be mindful of. I used to always joke about how all the idiots freaked out when it rained and drove so slow. Then I put all-season tires on an Accord. Terrifying. Tire Test: All-Season vs. Snow vs. Summer

Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, all-season tires are terrible in the rain. Just something to be mindful of. I used to always joke about how all the idiots freaked out when it rained and drove so slow. Then I put all-season tires on an Accord. Terrifying. Tire Test: All-Season vs. Snow vs. Summer
I that is really interesting. Well I guess I will need to test these tires out in the next heavy rain storm. My freeway exit tends to accumulate a huge amount of water near the edge of the lane. If you hit it wrong, you will hydroplane a bit. It has happened to me several times. ANd my old car did not have traction control or antilock brakes.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,775,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hi everyone! I have posted a few threads in recent weeks on my car shopping experience and decision. I thought I'd share my thought so far for anyone else considering the new Focus Hatchback.

I picked up my focus yesterday. I am 2 days in, and here is what I think so far.

First off, my driving pattern is a bit sporadic. I work from home, so I mostly drive around town short distances. A couple times a month, I have a 35 mile commute. I can typically time it to miss traffic, but if I don't it is stop and go for about 15-20 of the miles.

I got the Focus because I wanted a stylish hatchback and reasonable gas mileage. I was completely sucked in by the My Ford Touch.

My Car:
Sterling Grey Hatchback, Titanium Trim with the Winter Package, Handling Package, Moonroof and Leather Interior.

I didn't get the Park Assist, even though it was something I wanted because I was a little crunched for time and it was either sacrifice color or parking. I chose parking because the last new car I got I sacrificed on color and the one I got wasn't really me. I only wanted the rear parking camera, and I figure this is something that can be added aftermarket at some point if I really need it.

First impressions and likes:
On my test drives, I thought the focus felt far more polished than the competition and this pushed me other the edge.

Fit and finish is excellent, I saw a loose thread on one of the seats, and a tiny chip in the hood (I assume from transit for the dealer trade) otherwise the car looks great.

I really like the keyless entry and ignition. The only problem is I keep forgetting to take my keys out of my purse before piling stuff in and I have to dig them out so I can close my garage. I did leave my car and try to lock it up without turning off the ignition. This whole push button thing is going to take some mental adjustment. It didn't let me lock up with the sensor, so that was my clue.

The focus is surprisingly wide. It is a good 5 inches wider than my previous compact car, so I definitely have to concentrate and adjust a few times to get it into my parking spot (I have a tiny 3 car garage space in my apartment. The 3 cars are my focus, a circa-2000s Civic and a 1980s Porsche. We all need to park carefully so we can open the drivers side doors, passengers need not apply).

The Focus trunk is about half the size of my previous hatchback, this car is 6 or 8 inches shorter and the full size spare with the handling package take up a good amount of trunk space. I'll need to get better about keeping my car clear.

The handoff at the dealership:
When I picked up my car, I didn't feel like the salesmen was knowledgeable enough about MyFordTouch. I get the impression they haven't sold many of them yet. There was a lot of guessing to figure out where options were. This is one area where you'll probably need to reach out to the Ford team for support. They should look into getting some younger tech savvy sales people to help with this.

Friends and Family Impressions:
Over the holiday weekend, we saw a focus in the wild from across the freeway. I said to my mom, that's what my car looks like. She said, that's a stylish car. Considering my mom has absolutely no opinion on any car and would be hard-pressed to tell the difference from an Audi A6, a VW Jetta, a Civic, and an Accord, that is high praise.

I carted around my sister and a friend on the first day. My sister is plotting to copy me and get one in another color for her first car, and my friend loved it. Especially the heated seats and dual climate control. They found the seats comfortable and liked the ambient lighting.

First Drives:
On Sunday, I drove around town so I didn't really get a good sense of driving. MFT was a little flaky right after I drove off the lot. The voice activated button became unresponsive. After 10 minutes, MyFordTouch rebooted and updated. Since then things haven't been too flaky, but MyFordTouch is pretty slow. It takes a few touches for things to work. I also find it is easy to confuse it if you type too fast, and there is no way to look things up/force it to calculate a point of interest or street if it doesn't find it on it own. This feels like a work in progress, but offers good functionality. Using the voice for navigation is going to be easier than typing it in.

I was able to pair my phone easily, but I wish I could turn off bluetooth music streaming when my iphone is connected via USB. Also I found some issues if I left my phone plugged in when starting the car, music did not start playing. If I unplug/replug it works perfectly. Sound quality sounds decent. Still experimenting with Siri in my car. It looks like it is hard for her to hear. The mic is in the ceiling, so you need to speak up literally.

Overall I think MyFordTouch has a lot of promise, and I can't wait for the next update.

Yesterday, I took the afternoon off and took a drive to the outlets 40 miles away. I had a few things on my shopping list and I know I won't have many opportunities for highway driving in the coming weeks.

Handling was great. Things were pretty quiet. I was worried because reviews mentioned that the 18" tires increased road noise, but it was good for a compact car. When I replace these summer tires with all-season, we will see how things change. The cabin was quiet and the road was smooth. Passing was easy. Acceleration was good. The seat was comfy, All-in-all a good ride.

I love the heated seats! I get cold easily, and this is the perfect way to take the chill off. Also, I am very happy about the sunglasses holder, but I wish there were more interior compartments. I am struggling with where to put my change and bridge transponder, and keeping the center console organized.

During the stop and go in city driving, I did notice a manual transmission like "shudder" at low speeds (this car has a dual clutch automatic). It wasn't consistent but noticeable. We'll see how this wears over time.

Overall I am really happy with my focus. We'll see how things go with MyFordTouch. This is the first time I have had bluetooth in a car, and I know I'll be using it a lot. The voice commands are exciting, and seem easier than using the touch screen, but I naturally speak pretty fast, so it will be fun going through the training period.

Pros:
Handling
Stereo
Great front seats
Fit and Finish
Quiet interior
Dual climate control
Keyless entry and ignition
Ambient lighting (surprisingly useful)
Battery/signal strength on the MFT screen for my cell phone
Trip computer screen has the next direction for navigation

Cons:
Lack of interior compartments in the front
Small trunk
Lots of clicks to manage MFT
Did you, per chance, test drive the 2012 Hyundai Accent with 6 speed auto trans. boasting 40 mpg highway ? What did you think of it ? What kind of MPG are you routinely getting with your Focus now youve had it awhile ? Thanks.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Did you, per chance, test drive the 2012 Hyundai Accent with 6 speed auto trans. boasting 40 mpg highway ? What did you think of it ? What kind of MPG are you routinely getting with your Focus now youve had it awhile ? Thanks.
I have only had it a week. I'll post in a few with MPG.

I didn't test drive the Accent. I wanted something with better options, and a nicer interior. Also I only wanted a hatchback. Navigation, automatic lights and bluetooth were must haves for me, so it wasn't even on my list. Also I kind of really wanted a leather interior. So it was missing a few options

The Elantra Ground Touring was also deprived, no navigation option.

I looked in the Versa, and it felt a little plasticky and I don't think nav or bluetooth was an option. My list ended up being very short when it was all said and done.
  • Honda Fit (too noisy, few options)
  • Toyota Matrix (didn't love the interior)
  • Mazda3 (didn't love the interior, nav system after looking at the focus)
  • Nissan Juke (this was the #2 choice, it didn't feel quite as refined as the focus, had worse gas mileage and used premium gas)
  • VW Golf (I noticed they had downgraded on the interior, and felt too common -- this is a very popular car where I live)

Old 12-02-2011, 01:32 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
You do know that the Ford Focus also boasts 40MPG for 2012?

Old 12-02-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You do know that the Ford Focus also boasts 40MPG for 2012?
Yup but there is an asterix. It is only for one special trim with an option. All the rest get 37 or 38.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:23 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,228,459 times
Quote:
We did...and we chose the Hyundai Veloster

Old 12-02-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
We did...and we chose the Hyundai Veloster
I like how the Velostar looks

Old 12-02-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup but there is an asterix. It is only for one special trim with an option. All the rest get 37 or 38.
That is terrible jade. You have to give up a few miles per gallon to get the car that you want. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln