Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:13 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

Looks OK to me.

I'd give it a year or two to mature, and see if "innovations" have really been "experiments". Automakers seem to use those two words interchangeably, although consumers usually are the ones to find out. The last generation Taurus (2000-2006) was a very good car; solid powertrain, decent ride, inexpensive.

On another note, it still looks like the new model of the Taurus is based on the same platform as the present model, but with (much) more pleasing sheet metal. I think the current one shares parts with the Volvo S80, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,766 times
The name of this particular car was the 500. They were selling it concurrently with the Taurus, which they were trying to discontinue, but was still outselling the new 500. I wish they kept the name 500 for this car, it was much more nostalgic. Taurus is geeky, sounds like an old man car. But it will never capture the market from Honda or Toyota regardless, once a company loses the market, it is almost impossible to get back. Especially, when the competition makes cars that easily go over 300K miles with only regular maintainance.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:34 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I'd certainly buy this car over any Camry or Accord, awd please.
Yes, but anymore the average american citizen doesn't know where a specific model is made ...such as a good number of Toyotas are assembled in this nation as well as some european cars now...so its really hard to say what and what is not "built in America" can't go by the name, Ford , Chrysler and so on...

Old 02-12-2009, 06:16 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
That's not a bad looking Taurus, actually. I don't care for the tail lights, but the rest of the car looks pretty good. If the build quality is good, then it should be a big seller. I have had the current generation Taurus/Sable as rental cars and they are light years ahead of where they were just a few years ago. So, if the trend is continued in the next iteration, it should be a worthy Camry competitor, though the Camrys in recent years are American made too.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:41 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
He bad experience was from an early 2000 model.
I had a horrid experience with a 1999 Taurus.

This 2010 model LOOKS very night but I wonder if the build quality has improved?

Old 02-13-2009, 12:04 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
I want to party like its 1986.

I remember my aunt/uncle was one of the first people in our city to buy a Ford Taurus. It was late 1985 and the Taurus had just been released. It was a good car, but the first year models were plagued with recalls if I remember correctly. Theirs looked like this car, but it was a "fancier" model, with the keypad entry on the door and cornering lights. In 1988, they bought another, like this and a plainer model. Still was a better car than our neighbors van... same year Ford introduced the Aerostar van and our neighbors bought one. It was a top of the line XLT model. Nice and comfy, but it had alot of problems starting around 1991.

Gen 1 Ford Taurus... this is a GL model.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 AM

366 posts, read 1,374,302 times
I would never buy it, but if I was going to, I would buy one that was a 6 month old prior rental (because thats where 75% of Ford cars go anyway) for half the price of a new one/

Old 02-13-2009, 07:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Depwends on if they up the qaulity;otherwise i will never buy another domestic car personally. They five hundred dollar you to death after three years.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
I guess people who can stand the ugly looks of the camery and accord might like this. But it's time put a trunk on cars again!!!! These cutoff half way design jobs are horrible, and I don't care what kind of car it is.
Thank CAFE standards for this. The "cut-off trunk" look is done to reduce drag and increase fuel economy.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I'd certainly buy this car over any Camry or Accord, awd please.
Word has it AWD is in the offering, possibly as part of a twin-turbo package reviving the SHO name. This is basically a Volvo platform that is already fitted for and implements AWD. Unfortunately it's one of those silly Haldex systems that sends all the torque to the front wheels until they slip and only then does it send any torque to the rear wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln