Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,330 times

Advertisements

Hi there -- we are looking at potentially moving to Ft. Collins from Canada and I am looking at high schools right now -- and would love some opinions. My son is going into Grade 11 (my daughter into Grade 8) - but as he only has two years left - I want to make sure we narrow our house hunt to where there is a good high school. He is super brainy (yes nerdy!!) and is currently in a private IB school just to give him that extra challenge. So something either IB or AP. Athletics are not an issue However he is really into music -- plays piano and drums. Basically I want to find a school with a high level of academic challenges for him. It definitely doesn't have to be private -- we just chose that option as our public schools were iffy. We are not religious and I know a lot of private schools are faith based. Any thoughts?

My daughter also goes to the same school -- as it is K-12, but it looks like she would have one year of middle school there? She is a competitive swimmer and the pool there looks awesome. That is her primary concern!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 12:41 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
There are basically three choices: Fossil Ridge (SE part of town), Fort Collins (East side), and Rocky Mountain (West side). FR is in a clique-ish part of town, and I've heard complaints of bullying, shaming, and pettiness. RM is probably a bit rougher around the edges. Don't know much about FC, but would guess it might be the least problematic of the three.

Compared to Canada though, all the schools in the area would probably be significantly different from what your kids will be used to. I've found a large element of culture shock in this town. As with any important move, visit first.

What city in Canada are you coming from? Fort Collins is only about 160,000, and does not have what Denver or Colorado Springs - for example - have.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-30-2018 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,330 times
Thanks! We are in Calgary, Alberta so used to the mountain feel. But it is a city of over a million people -- so I am nervous about the size of the city. My husband's job may be transferring us there so the decision could be made for us. Would rather not move in the last two years of high school but we may have to. My kids are pretty flexible -- we have moved before -- but still, a little nerve wracking

Old 07-30-2018, 03:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
another choice (and the ONLY choice for me..) Homeschool or college,

Colorado has some options for attending College instead of HS. I would not subject a nerdy / intelligent / talented 11th grader (who just moved to town) to a US Public HS. Ft Collins has options for Community Colleges (2 choices) + CSU programs.

https://www.cde.state.co.us/postseco...legehighschool
http://www.cpr.org/news/story/when-r...hnical-schools
Colorado Expands Students' Options for Earning High School Diplomas - High School & Beyond - Education Week

or consider a different state... (Income tax free WA (...+ high left coast wages) offers FREE Full time college instead of High school (since 1990). HI and IL also have programs, but are not FREE)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

You can probably do similar in CO if you pay for tuition. No need for a HS diploma when you get an AA degree / direct transfer to University as a Jr instead.

Nearly all our Canadian friends homeschooled (We lived on in the Gulf Islands while there.)

Old 07-30-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaandjenn View Post
Thanks! We are in Calgary, Alberta ... a city of over a million people -- so I am nervous about the size of the city. My husband's job may be transferring us there so the decision could be made for us.
That is helpful information. We formerly lived in one the largest cities in the US (over a million people), and the small size here is very noticeable. Plus, our former city was diverse and international, so this former agricultural town is limited in comparison (including culture-wise).

Hopefully you will like it here and find it sufficient. We are making plans to return to where we are from; partly because jobs in my field are lacking here, and because we want our kids to have the opportunities that we had formerly. Everything looked good here before relocating, but we ended up taking steps back rather than forward...

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-30-2018 at 04:03 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 01:49 PM

401 posts, read 486,914 times
Hey! I am an Aussie living in the North Colorado area, we moved to this area 6 years ago and have no regrets. My hubby is American (full disclosure)

Public High Schools - The best reputation is probably Fossil Ridge High School.

Other Options such as Charter Schools - This will depend on what spaces are available.

Liberty Common Charter School - k-12

Ridgeview Classical Charter School - K-12

I would check those websites out and see what you think. School tours are one of the best ways to get a feel that can be hard when moving from overseas though

Old 08-01-2018, 05:30 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That is helpful information. We formerly lived in one the largest cities in the US (over a million people), and the small size here is very noticeable. Plus, our former city was diverse and international, so this former agricultural town is limited in comparison (including culture-wise).

Hopefully you will like it here and find it sufficient. We are making plans to return to where we are from; partly because jobs in my field are lacking here, and because we want our kids to have the opportunities that we had formerly. Everything looked good here before relocating, but we ended up taking steps back rather than forward...

Good luck to you.
I think Calgary is the Canadian city that has the most in common with the Front Range. I don’t think the culture shock will be too great. Calgary reminds me in many ways of a smaller Denver.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 08-01-2018 at 05:41 AM..

Old 08-01-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I think Calgary is the Canadian city that has the most in common with the Front Range. I don’t think the culture shock will be too great. Calgary reminds me in many ways of a smaller Denver.
Maybe, but Calgary is about 1.2 million people, compared to only ~164,000 here. It's also an economic powerhouse compared to FC. "The Calgary CMA is home to the second-highest number of corporate head offices in Canada among the country's 800 largest corporations" - per Wiki. Fort Collins isn't even notable compared to Denver, let alone the entire US.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
DENVER!!! who said anything about Denver! OMG... the sky is 'browning'

Hi there -- we are looking at potentially moving to Ft. Collins from Canada

yup... If OP wanted to be in a USA city LIKE Calgary.. (which hopefully they do not)... SLC would be the first choice and an EZ and frequent flight. 'Prairie situated' Denver would be another 3-4th place option.) If you must (ick)

Since the J-O-B in is Ft Collins, I will trust the OP can find just the right spot there (and a LOT closer to WY!!! for good schools (including a very inexpensive and excellent U) / good people / great recreation) an no income tax. (in case it is possible to telecommute a few days / week)

Old 08-01-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
DENVER!!! who said anything about Denver! OMG
SkyDog77 did in post #7. That's who I was talking to. I even quoted him above my own comments.

Pour a drink and take a deep breath Mr. OMG...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-01-2018 at 09:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area