Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:39 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Chelsa I am from NYC and have been to Chicago. They are NOTHING like here. You have real communities in those places. People know their neighbors and there are more social activities and events going on. People trying to blame NYers or anyone else for the state of s. florida are misguided in their judgments (not talking about you). South Florida is VERY transient, thats what happens in a place like this when no one stays for long or moves around a lot with in the city/state/out of state. You never develop a real community. I think as things get worse people will be stuck in their place and this may then force things to change.
Could be - there are no real neighborhoods here that is the truth. Where I grew up in Astoria - I still see the old people that were old when I was young outside in the parks LOL. I will say this about Cooper City, I think out of all the places I visited in Broward this little city is the most neighborhood oriented place. I have actually met the parents of the kids my kids play with - we aren't barbequeing together but we say hello to eachother when we see one another. I have a feeling I will be much friendlier with the parents at the baseball field because we will spend more time around one another. Those people were the very same people I developed closed friendships with in NY - the difference is our kids have been friends since 5 years old and now well we are starting over but the kids are resilliant and will be fine!

My favorite line has become - "I'm from NY and that is shocking to me" people look at me like no way - it isn't possible LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,713,503 times
We were in Rochester last week and I couldn't get over how nice the people were. I started noticing it with the flight attendants and then it continued from there. It often feels like this country is made up of several smaller regions with completely different personalities. Upstate western NY was more what I'd imagine the Midwest to feel like, but as it's only an hour or so from Canada, maybe that was the influencing culture. Or perhaps, it just gets so darn cold in the winter that people try to make it as pleasant for another as possible!

However when I did get back to South Florida, I had a very memorable conversation that started slowly with a tram attendant who took us to our car and I thought, well, South Florida has some pretty nice people too. Maybe just a bit more on guard.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Could be - there are no real neighborhoods here that is the truth. Where I grew up in Astoria - I still see the old people that were old when I was young outside in the parks LOL. I will say this about Cooper City, I think out of all the places I visited in Broward this little city is the most neighborhood oriented place. I have actually met the parents of the kids my kids play with - we aren't barbequeing together but we say hello to eachother when we see one another. I have a feeling I will be much friendlier with the parents at the baseball field because we will spend more time around one another. Those people were the very same people I developed closed friendships with in NY - the difference is our kids have been friends since 5 years old and now well we are starting over but the kids are resilliant and will be fine!

My favorite line has become - "I'm from NY and that is shocking to me" people look at me like no way - it isn't possible LOL.
you need to travel around more down here then. I used to live in Plantation and in a certain part of plantation they would actually have BLOCK PARTIES! No lie, i was shocked and they had the shaved ice joints (remember those?) and the streets were blocked off and they had a DJ etc. Also in Wynwood, Buena Vista and other older parts of Miami on the east side I have seen scenes that reminded me of up north right down to the neighborhood grocery stores and people talking on the block and what not.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
We were in Rochester last week and I couldn't get over how nice the people were. I started noticing it with the flight attendants and then it continued from there. It often feels like this country is made up of several smaller regions with completely different personalities. Upstate western NY was more what I'd imagine the Midwest to feel like, but as it's only an hour or so from Canada, maybe that was the influencing culture. Or perhaps, it just gets so darn cold in the winter that people try to make it as pleasant for another as possible!

However when I did get back to South Florida, I had a very memorable conversation that started slowly with a tram attendant who took us to our car and I thought, well, South Florida has some pretty nice people too. Maybe just a bit more on guard.
You hit it on the head - once people warm up - most have some nice in them. I am a firm believer in you get what you give off most of the time. If you are a nice person - you get nice in return.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
It can be found in other areas, but again, I think it's the level that Miami has it which is so disturbing. This topic has been touched on many, many times. I think even the Miami lovers have told us that it is all about "me" in Miami.
I find more disturbing the fact that you have only visited Miami twice and go around making such negative statements about a place you are not familiar with. You don't seem like very nice person yourself based on your endless posts against puerto Ricans and cubans. You always seem to have a better than thou attitute just because some people are not used to southern hospitality. Southern hospitality doesnt make you superior. Understand that. Some people grew up in big cities where you don't go around saying hi to every person you see. That doesn't make them rude or evil people just different from you.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
you need to travel around more down here then. I used to live in Plantation and in a certain part of plantation they would actually have BLOCK PARTIES! No lie, i was shocked and they had the shaved ice joints (remember those?) and the streets were blocked off and they had a DJ etc. Also in Wynwood, Buena Vista and other older parts of Miami on the east side I have seen scenes that reminded me of up north right down to the neighborhood grocery stores and people talking on the block and what not.
They had piraguas - oh man! Remember Brooklyn Block parties - were they anything like those - man - those were the days - I know Wild - I don't know much about it down here at all - I don't know where to be at all. I like plantation, I like East Pines LOL - no gated communities - that takes away from a neighborhood to me but the schools are just so yuck in those areas that you have to give up one for the other. I was looking in Embassy lakes for a home and I must say it was beautiful and really did have a neighborhood feel - there is no corner store to buy milk but it really is a nice place - just has those damn gates LOL!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:

what high school did you go to and graduation year?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
They had piraguas - oh man! Remember Brooklyn Block parties - were they anything like those - man - those were the days - I know Wild - I don't know much about it down here at all - I don't know where to be at all. I like plantation, I like East Pines LOL - no gated communities - that takes away from a neighborhood to me but the schools are just so yuck in those areas that you have to give up one for the other. I was looking in Embassy lakes for a home and I must say it was beautiful and really did have a neighborhood feel - there is no corner store to buy milk but it really is a nice place - just has those damn gates LOL!
It sounds like you like the newer built homes but just without a segregated community. What you could do is try to find a area that has a I.B. program in the school and send your kid to it. For me i like older neighborhoods and older homes. To me they have more character. That or a condo near the water. Like a friend of mine once told me, "your a new yorker, living in Florida and you don't live near the water, then whats the point?!"

Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you like the newer built homes but just without a segregated community. What you could do is try to find a area that has a I.B. program in the school and send your kid to it. For me i like older neighborhoods and older homes. To me they have more character. That or a condo near the water. Like a friend of mine once told me, "your a new yorker, living in Florida and you don't live near the water, then whats the point?!"
LOL - I'm not a fan of the beach - yes, a Puertorican who could do without the beach LOL - I prefer a pool - I guess it was the time spent in Maryland that turned me onto that. I'm fine in Apartments or Townhomes - Houses are a lot to clean LOL. I do like older Brick homes but here some of the older home are just blah and I like the look of the newer ones minus the gates. Brick to me you never know how old it is - Stucco you can tell - again to me. I'm looking into the IB programs and seeing what is available. I just really don't want to keep moving around - I want my kids to have some roots and make their friends - 12 years old is so important I think - I am still best friends with the same girl I was best friends with at 12 - I love those girls - we don't talk every day but when we do it is as if we never skipped a beat.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
what high school did you go to and graduation year?
Why? I went to 4 different High Schools - St. Johns, LIC, (we will just say the more aggressive side got to me at these schools), North Hagerstown High School and finally I graduated from Bryant in 1993 on a Certificate of Merit I might add.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area