Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:48 AM

809 posts, read 2,317,109 times

Advertisements

That's they way they were brought up and some Cubans can be loud but can also be the nicest and sweetest people on earth.
You are right, just like some people can be prim and proper, meak and meager in demeanor yet be rude as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:47 PM

242 posts, read 315,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
To me it's about the same, just different cultures, and both American and Mediterrenean cultures have their qualities and flaws. In those particular countries you can find rude and helpful customer service people, just like in the USA. Yes they smile less and don't use pleasantries, but when you are not used to them, you don't miss them. I'm used to both systems, having lived in the USA and in Colombia(which is similar to Europe in that sense) so as long as I get things done, I don't care to be called Mrs Princess or being asked how I am doing today. At the same time, some customer service in the USA is fake, but some are more genuine and don't sound like robots. I had a culture shock when I arrived to the USA with small talk, but with time I ended up behaving like the average American so much that some people from Colombia found me fake when I was really being genuine, I wasn't doing on purpose, I had just totally forgotten that small talk and smiling are not common there. To me it's natural and I don't find it phony or fake, just different.

When I visited France, Spain and Italy I knew what to expect so it wasn't shocking. The only thing that shocked me a little is how some Madrilenos go out of their way to help you, even when it's not part of their job description.

As far as Miami, we have a share of rude people, but I wouldn't say the majority is like that. Some come from countries or states where people are not used to pleansantries or small talk. Some come from Caribbean countries where talking loud and going straight to the point is common. Sometimes people confuse loud voices with rudeness and that is not always the case. It can be annoying for sure, but it doesn't necesarily mean they're rude. That's they way they were brought up and some Cubans can be loud but can also be the nicest and sweetest people on earth.
Rudeness is often down to your own perception and how you interpret people's behavior from your own upbringing. I do not expect anyone working in customer service to be my friend, or to call me by my first name. As long as you're professional and not an a**hole, I'll be happy with that.

Before we went to Paris a few months ago, we went to a French restaurant in Miami Beach. I was expecting French-type customer service, but got the American customer service instead, i.e. the waiter constantly coming to our table asking if everything was okay. In France, they did exactly what I wanted them to do, i.e. be professional and courteous, but left us the hell alone to eat our meal in peace, without having to rush.

The thing that irks me in South Florida isn't the poor customer service that people complain about a lot: it's the general lack of respect and manners that I encounter a bit too often. It's often simple stuff like barging into the elevator before you have the chance to get out of it, or not putting the "next customer" thingy down at the grocery store so that you can start placing your groceries on the conveyor belt.

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that Florida on the whole is a very transient state of new towns and cities that haven't yet developed a sense of community (for the most part). Many people come here to escape or to have fun in the sun, rather than become a part of a community.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:32 PM

153 posts, read 249,005 times
Call me weird, but I prefer it that way. I have never understood why Americans demand so much from waiters and store clerks.
This is an astute observation. I don't have an answer, but I share your befuddlement.

Perhaps because we're paying their salary. Having said that, I always go out of my way to be nice to people in the service industry because they're constantly exposed to rude customers.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:12 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,713,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicKaysen View Post
Call me weird, but I prefer it that way. I have never understood why Americans demand so much from waiters and store clerks.
This is an astute observation. I don't have an answer, but I share your befuddlement.

Perhaps because we're paying their salary. Having said that, I always go out of my way to be nice to people in the service industry because they're constantly exposed to rude customers.
Maybe that's the problem. Their employers should be paying their salary, not just the required slave $2.30/hour wage (in the case of servers). At least slaves got room & board. Don't think any waiter could afford to room and/or board on that salary. Our payments should only have ever been tips for exemplary service. We shouldn't have to demand anything. Their employers should be training them, not their customers. There'd be more professionalism and less turnover if this were the case as well.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:23 PM

75 posts, read 175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
The "mojority " still rules ... what does that mean ... and if it is what I think you mean it is a weak argument . Who is the majority here ...where and when was the tribal council vote .. did I miss it ?

The "constant meaness" .. huh ... yes again there are a holes here , but also a lot of nice good people ... maybe you should re examine your network of friends and the venues you frequent .. or maybe you are a little too sensitive ... it is a tough world out there ... butch up a little .
when i say majority i mean most people on here agree with the statement about south florida if your really dont understand that i really dont know what to say about you.

There is no way i mentioned anything about each of everyone in south florida is like that..I did not say there was not one single nice person...I know a lot of decent people...
Resort to calling me too sensitive.....so your saying everyone on here is "too sensitive" when they experience people being real nasty to them in public places on a regular basis...

All Im simply stating is that there is a lack human decency in the area on a higher level that I've experience before...Its just my statement. you may have yours and thats ok and fine with me...you may think its great because you may live in WESTON or in one of those mansions in PARKLAND and have a driver who run errands for you...but for the regular class guy like me who experience the real area Im just giving you my take.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:04 PM

810 posts, read 1,579,601 times
Lightbulb And the word of the day is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
The "mojority " still rules ... what does that mean ...
it means people who drink mojos rule Broward.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:18 PM

810 posts, read 1,579,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphantmale View Post
I'm just curious as to how this started. Its seems like the South Florida Area never used to be like this.

Is it all the people here moving from the new york area where its tought that you have to step on people's feet to get ahead?

Is it because of all the cultural difference and most people dont know that much about each other?

Is it because most people here come from a 3rd world country and they have have a make money now, fast, and anyway i can so i can send back home attitude?

Why is it like that, Im curious, i never been anywhere in the world where its so extreme.
Dear Triumphantmale

Please tell us more about yourself.

What made you join city-data? You have only participated in this thread
Why are you picking on certain groups like New Yorkers and Immigrants?
What places have you traveled to?
Why the curiosity?
What made you pick your screen name? Moderator cut: no need to get snarky

Last edited by fauve; 09-22-2010 at 03:40 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphantmale View Post
when i say majority i mean most people on here agree with the statement about south florida if your really dont understand that i really dont know what to say about you.

There is no way i mentioned anything about each of everyone in south florida is like that..I did not say there was not one single nice person...I know a lot of decent people...
Resort to calling me too sensitive.....so your saying everyone on here is "too sensitive" when they experience people being real nasty to them in public places on a regular basis...

All Im simply stating is that there is a lack human decency in the area on a higher level that I've experience before...Its just my statement. you may have yours and thats ok and fine with me...you may think its great because you may live in WESTON or in one of those mansions in PARKLAND and have a driver who run errands for you...but for the regular class guy like me who experience the real area Im just giving you my take.
I live in Parkland after many years of school and hard work ... nothing was given to me and I am proud of that ... I live in a nice home .. no not a mansion and no I do not have a driver or butler ... lol ... your response tells me that maybe you should look inside yourself .. maybe you are part of the problem .. I find that most , not all but most people will treat you with respect and will be courteous when they are treated as such .. South Florida is no different from the rest of the country in that respect ... again maybe you should examine your negative attitude and circle of friends ... try and surround your self with positive people ... there are plenty down here . Do we have some a holes in South Florida .. no doubt ... rude drivers .. for sure ... but I have also met some of the best people and made great friends down here .

Old 09-21-2010, 08:38 AM

143 posts, read 416,181 times
Well I am here only a month- yes one of "those" NE people- but I have found things pretty much the same in terms of public behavior. Most people are friendly enough to help me when I ask a question. A few restaurants have been slower on the service side, but nothing has struck me as out of the ordinary. People have held doors open for me & my kids in lots of places. Unlike home, there is no jockeying for street parking as there are large parking lots everywhere.

Even when I waited an unbelievable, excruciating 6 hours to get my FL drivers license (BTW with all 3 kids in tow), people were courteous & took turns with the limited seating. There may have been rioting in NJ if people had to wait that long!

Drivers are maybe more aggressive than in the suburbs I am used to - I have to get used to u turns & left turns from the same left lane!
And the road rage shooting incidents I have seen on the news does make me a little nervous.

Selfishness, greed and the like is and always have been (unfortunately) common. But no doubt the use of good manners has diminished greatly.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:04 AM

75 posts, read 175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Dear Triumphantmale

Please tell us more about yourself.

What made you join city-data? You have only participated in this thread
Why are you picking on certain groups like New Yorkers and Immigrants?
What places have you traveled to?
Why the curiosity?
What made you pick your screen name? Moderator cut: no need to get snarky
1. I joined city data to give input on a city that i grew up in and lived in for about 10 years....Im in this tread because a question was lingering in my mind and i WANTED to ask the SouthFlo community their opinions.

2. No. Im not picking on no specific group of people..I know each and every individual is different not to judge by color of skin, culture, or any other background. No Im not picking on immigrants or New Yorkers.

3. I have traveled to Asian countries such as Singapore, European countries such as Italy, and various places in the states such as California and Texas for example.

4. My curiosity is explained throughout this thread. and has been answered...by a lot of people...And ...

I want to take this time out to thank all the people who participated in this discussion. This was just a simple discussion not meant to offend anyone like the person that Im replying to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area