Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:08 PM

68 posts, read 133,442 times

Advertisements

I will be working very close to the Miami Intl Airport, but I am not sure that I want to live in Miami. I love Ft Lauderdale. Would I be crazy to consider that commute as opposed to other "safe" areas in Miami? It seems that most commutes are a minimum of 30 minutes anyway. I would appreciate any thoughts - especially if you have done something similarly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 12:16 PM

351 posts, read 1,126,507 times
I personally would not find that commute acceptable each day, but it may be tolerable depending on when you need to be at work. If you need to be in the office by 8:30, no way would I do that. If you can have more flexible hours, and arrive by 9:30, may be workable.

I would consider living further south (east Hollywood maybe).

Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 AM

482 posts, read 944,739 times
It's a horrible drive. Miami airport is at the BOTTOM of Miami. I would look at Kendall and places south of Miami

Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 AM

91 posts, read 219,151 times
maybe try davie, pembrook pines, or best west mirmar, traffic down the backside isnt awful, use google maps and use 75 to the palmetto or if palmetto shows yellow/red then use turnpike to dolphin. Its 25-30min from the 595/75 interchange to MIA and 40 in traffic.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:14 PM

423 posts, read 1,642,548 times
It is a difficult commute but trust me lots of people do it on a daily basis. You are probably better of living in West Miramar, Pembroke Pines or surrounding areas depending upon your priorities and budget.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:22 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I used to do that and worse. From north of Ft Lauderdale to Dadeland for a while, then to Kendall. The Sawgrass and Dolphin weren't as crowded back then though. If it is for a year or two, it might work. Another though is tri-rail and a ride share.

(Homestead is at the bottom of Miami, not the airport. Used to have to go there regularly as well.)

Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Where in Fort Lauderdale would you be living?

Also which side of MIA are you going to be commuting to?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:18 PM

That is interesting...I thought it would take longer from the 95/595 interchange. I will be working right off NW 67 and 34St - LeJuene and Doral area. It seems that all of the places that I look at in Miami (Pinecrest, Key Biscayne etc) require that I use the Palmetto which is a nightmare in itself (or in my very limited experience). It seems like it will take me 30-45 minutes to get to the office from those places. If it only takes 15 minutes or so longer to get from Ft Lauderdale in traffic, I would much rather live in FLL. My grandmother lives there and I have been spending time down there since I was 7 years old. I am an almost 50 year old single woman (about to be married) and I am just not into the whole party scene in Miami. But, at the same time, I really would prefer not to live in the suburbs again. In theory, I would be eligible to retire in 5 years and I don't want to live somewhere that I don't enjoy. To me, FLL has plenty of things to do, nice restaurants, a much better beach and a more "relaxed" lifestyle. I almost think it would be worth the commute during the week to have a nice place when I am not working. Please correct me if you have a different opinion of the "personalities" of the two cities.

I am not sure what I can find, but ideally I would like to be in the Harbor Isles area, right off of the 17th street bridge (33316) or the Las Olas area if I could find something in my price range. My daughter is a rising junior in high school so, while I would like to be able to use public schools, it wouldnt be terrible if I had to send her to private school for only two years.

It just seems that most of the people I talk to tell me I will be much happier in Broward. If I am going to be in Broward anyway, I thought I might be happier somewhere that I have some familiarity with.

I am a morning person, so I could probably avoid the morning rush hour. If the evening rush hour is not routinely more than an hour, I think I will be fine. Is that realistic? Any and all comments are very much appreciated!

Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Palmetto is indeed a nightmare.

But 30-45 min is not a bad commute by South Florida standards.

Something to think about - they are extending the express lanes on I-95 all the way to Fort Lauderdale area (to I-595). So it may be not too bad getting to Miami after that.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 PM

I had the 30-45 minute commute in mind so I appreciate your confirming it. So I don't think FLL would be that much further. And I did not know about the express lane extension so thank you for that information as well. I am starting to think it may be a real possibility!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area