Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 PM

22 posts, read 57,851 times

Advertisements

We are going to be temporarily living in Weston for about 6 months. It looks like we will be in corporate housing in the San Michele condos complex. Everything I've read so far sounds and looks good, but i just read about a stabbing there last year at the basketball courts, and on another city-data thread, I read that that complex has had "troublemakers" lately.

I'm guessing these are isolated incidents, but I'm curious to know if this is a safe complex in general. Weston looks great and the crime stats are the safest of any place I've ever lived, but I'm still a bit uneasy. Moving to a new place sight-unseen is tough!

Thanks

Wanderer362
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Do you have to go with St Michelle or do you have other choices?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM

San Michele had the largest places available, which is somewhat important because we have 3 kids. I think there may have been another location, St. Andrews, but location-wise, it was not my husband's preference.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
I actually think St Andrews is nicer than St Michele. On the other hand, St Michele units have garages, while St Andrews don't.

Also here is an old thread about them

Weston apartments

Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Are you really worried about a single stabbing incident from a year ago? For what it's worth, I don't think the stabber was even from Weston and know for a fact that the victim was not. San Michele should be fine.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Are you really worried about a single stabbing incident from a year ago? For what it's worth, I don't think the stabber was even from Weston and know for a fact that the victim was not. San Michele should be fine.
Yeah, the more I thought about it the more I realized that there are probably many times as many similar incidents in my very safe, fairly large city. On paper, Weston is WAY safer than any place I've ever lived.

Moving to a new place without ever stepping foot there can be a bit anxiety-inducing, but Weston sounds fine, and so does San Michele.

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 PM

984 posts, read 4,318,031 times
I believe it's a decent and safe enough place, plus it's very well located (it's Weston). But it's a problematic complex and from residents/former residents reviews it doesn't seem good at all. I've had previous experience with badly managed/problematic complexes - now I always do various checks on the internet, on the bldg. itself, about the management company/owners, etc. I'd recommend doing that further. But it's probably okay, no really major worries.

Here are the reviews from the people at the complex from some internet research: San Michele Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Weston apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com - Gables San Michele Reviews | View Gables San Michele Ratings, Maps, Rentals & Photos | Weston Florida - https://plus.google.com/103584427820...98/about?hl=en

Old 11-19-2013, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,503 times
Well I have many more complains about San Michele

San Michelle Apartments at Weston Sucks

Why they Suck?

NO PAKING SPACE FOR VISITORS AND A SWEET TOWING BUSINESS
They will tow your visitors car no warning, no ringing on your bell, its all about sweet money between South Broward Towing and San Michelle Management, $200 bucks a pop mmmmmmm

THIN THIN THIN PAPER WALLS
I can hear my neighbor snore, take a dump, fight, cry, phone calls etc. this apartments have the worst sound isolation on the planet

HORRIBLE AND EXPENSIVE WASTE MANAGEMENT
You’ll be obligated to keep right in front of your home entrance a big ass smelly trash can
for just $75 a month m m mmm

PRICE WILL GO WAY UP IN YOUR NEXT RENEWAL
Don’t expect a small increase, it will be one of those that hurts

DOGGY **** EVERYWHERE
PUP PUP PUP, Dont adventure to walk on the grass unless you are into a weird cult

MEAN MANAGEMENT
They will be really friendly until you sign, after that friendship is over

THE CABLE COMPANY SUCKS
Forget about Xfinity you’ll be obligated to deal with ADVANCED CABLE COMMUNICATIONS mmmm, slow internet, expensive, horrible service

this are just some of the reasons why we think San Michelle Apartments at Weston Sucks

there are more, please come and see for yourself

Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM

Default OP here. :)

Well, we just left Weston about a month ago after 5 months there. We did in fact live at San Michele, in a townhome owned by Oakwood corporate housing. It was paid for by our employer, so we probably had a different view based on the fact that we were not paying for it.

Parking? Awful. But we had one car and a garage and driveway so we were fine.

I completely disagree about the thin walls. We often remarked at how we never heard a peep from other townhomes next to us. We were in a 3 bedroom, 3 story place.

Waste management . We did not pay for it, so no issues there, but omg the ugly huge garbage cans. We kept getting notices to put ours by our garage instead of by the road, and the apartment management gave us fines for it, but we did not have to pay those ourselvses. The things were huge and ugly and moving them back 10 feet didn't make a difference at all.

No issues with dog poop. Never.

We found them to be really quiet, generally clean, although landscaping needed help, the pool needed a major cleaning, and the playscape was dangerous crap.

Our main issue was that Weston is a giant, boring, miserably suburban strip mall of generally unfriendly people (don't try to tell me they are friendly. I'm from one of the friendliest towns in the nation and also lived in Chicago. I found Chicago to be way friendlier than Weston.) Also, the librarians are bitchy and grumpy. Teens roam the town and the town center and are really out of control, spoiled rich kids.

Sorry, Weston, but I'm glad I got out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_godin View Post
Well I have many more complains about San Michele

San Michelle Apartments at Weston Sucks

Why they Suck?

NO PAKING SPACE FOR VISITORS AND A SWEET TOWING BUSINESS
They will tow your visitors car no warning, no ringing on your bell, its all about sweet money between South Broward Towing and San Michelle Management, $200 bucks a pop mmmmmmm

THIN THIN THIN PAPER WALLS
I can hear my neighbor snore, take a dump, fight, cry, phone calls etc. this apartments have the worst sound isolation on the planet

HORRIBLE AND EXPENSIVE WASTE MANAGEMENT
You’ll be obligated to keep right in front of your home entrance a big ass smelly trash can
for just $75 a month m m mmm

PRICE WILL GO WAY UP IN YOUR NEXT RENEWAL
Don’t expect a small increase, it will be one of those that hurts

DOGGY **** EVERYWHERE
PUP PUP PUP, Dont adventure to walk on the grass unless you are into a weird cult

MEAN MANAGEMENT
They will be really friendly until you sign, after that friendship is over

THE CABLE COMPANY SUCKS
Forget about Xfinity you’ll be obligated to deal with ADVANCED CABLE COMMUNICATIONS mmmm, slow internet, expensive, horrible service

this are just some of the reasons why we think San Michelle Apartments at Weston Sucks

there are more, please come and see for yourself

Old 12-05-2013, 04:30 PM

Also, we witnessed a lot of bullying between the town's kids. We'd see kids as young as 6th grade roaming town center and saw some really sad mean things. Not physical bullying (although we did see some teens fist fighting once) but a lot of mean girl stuff. I think because it is generally safe (well, except for the double-homicide by crossbow this week) people get the feeling that their kids are safe wandering around. And they probably are, but this leads to a LOT of unsupervised kids roaming around. I saw it all the time at Town Center. Once a teen girl ran up to my husband and asked him for a hug. She was very forward and it was weird and he refused and told her to behave herself. Just lots of wild kids there. I got the feeling there were a lot of parents with no clue what their kids were up to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area