Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 01:08 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Hmm, never had a problem with the drivers in Dallas. On the other hand I have a problem daily with the drivers here lol. Dade has a garbage highway system considering it's more populated than the other two counties but I don't think Broward is bad for it's size between 595, 95, the turnpike, 75, the turnpike extension and the Sawgrass and the gridded 4/6 lane streets every mile or so. Palm Beach is catching up with all of that construction all over the place, Southern Blvd up there was converted into an east-west expressway so that helps. No, it's not comparable to DFW because the layout of the area isn't comparable to that sprawling "metroplex", but the planning is MUCH better here. Most (not all) of the roads are at their limits at buildout here as opposed to being past their limits, that is good planning. I think the number one thing they need to work on is light timing. A few roads have it right but the majority are awful for getting stuck at every other light.

Speaking of which, I would live here over Dallas any day, and I could of lived there too.
Bro, when I would leave work for home in Dallas I would see the most ridiculous accidents. It was very common to see cars flipped over or on their side. I remember one day I was going out after work. I saw three accidents with in a two mile radius and all unrelated. Also, you know that lane where you can pull over if something is wrong with your car? Well in Dallas they use that damn thing to pass you if you are going to slow for their taste. That place was something else. Nice people though, I mean REALLY nice.

As for planning here. They need to recognize cheap oil is gone bye bye. They need to start planning for mass transit and moving people to the city core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 01:13 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post

As for planning here. They need to recognize cheap oil is gone bye bye. They need to start planning for mass transit and moving people to the city core.
Planing for THEN . I'm not talking about planning for the FUTURE. This state is running itself into the ground in that regard, I may have to join the exodus myself for that reason and no not to Charlotte. Here is the real problem; what city core?

Old 07-13-2008, 01:48 PM

44 posts, read 121,459 times
Quote:
see bold comments
My response is in italics

Also desirable because:
*Inherent beauty of the area subjective, not everyone agrees
REPLY: ok, sure - it depends on what you like (as does everything). seems to be a fairly popular opinion, but ok.

*Multitude of fun activities within an easy drive (beach, sports, great shopping) multitude is a stretch, especially when compared to more affordable areas. I have lived in NYC, three cities in Florida and one city in Texas. I have also been to every major city on the eastern sea board and Chicago. South Florida isn't anything special.
REPLY: not sure you got me on this one. Setting water sports and fantastic sport fishing aside, I think South Florida has recreational activities on par with anywhere. Of course, we do not have mountains or snow skiing. Shopping is comparable to other large cities in the country, it just may not all be in one place...but just about every desirable store has a presence in S Fl.

*Low tax environment (no state inc tax, relatively low sales tax. YES, property taxes are high) cost of living is high in relation to wages, so taxes mean nothing at the end of the day when the average person is not making it. This is why the huge out flow of residents.
REPLY: taxes mean nothing for the average person? Politicians should try to take that angle in the fall when they want to raise them and see how that flies. Last time I checked, state taxes are taken out of one's paycheck before they have the funds to go shopping or pay their rent (and notice the cost of living).

*Very good road system You should travel more. I lived in the Dallas area and south Florida doesn't compare. Actually, from all my travels I don't see how South Florida supposed is so great a road system.
REPLY: agree on the fact that i should travel more. Not sure my family would agree though. I fly 2-3 times a week on average. Have been to nearly all 50 states and several dozen countries. Have lived overseas in two countries. NYC resident for 10 years. One of the great things about S Florida relative to other areas of the country is the ability to travel long distances in a reasonable amount of time on nicely conditioned roadways.

*Pockets of very good public education (depends on school) Same is true for many metro areas, this doesn't make this place a great buy
REPLY: true, but it is an essential for a desirable area

*Easy access to/from major east coast and midwest cities (~3 hours or less for Atlanta, Chicago, NY, Boston) I can do the same travel in less time from Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte etc so again this is not a selling point.
REPLY: perhaps, but it too is an essential thing for an area to have to be attractive, in my opinion. I am not trying to say S Fl is better than the cities you mention on any of these points. Also note that I said easy. As an aside, how many direct flights a day are you getting from Nashville to New York? Is it less than 25? What about international flights (Atlanta being the exception)?

Much work needs to be done to attract larger corporations to the area. Also need to concede that part of the reason wages are lower is because many ppl want to live here and the cost of living was quite a bit lower. That is by far the silliest thing I have ever heard.
REPLY: supply and demand of human capital silly? OK.
More people want to live in Chicago, NYC, Boston and many other places than they ever will want to live in S. Florida. Hence, the huge populations there.
REPLY: higher paying industries (e.g. financial sector and big corporate jobs) and more demand for human capital in those areas. Florida is dominated by service oriented small businesses.
However, you get paid a HECK of a lot more in these places too, for comparable job types.
REPLY: why do you think this is?

Not to mention the cost of living is similiar. I can rent a 3 bedroom in Brooklyn NYC for the same amount I pay for a 3 bedroom here in Ft. Lauderdale.
REPLY: please tell me the neighborhood and I will tell my friends to move there.
I would also double my income, half my travel expenses and city tax I can get back from federal. Food is also cheaper
REPLY: when are you relocating? sounds like a no-brainer.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broward resident View Post
My response is in italics

Also desirable because:
*Inherent beauty of the area subjective, not everyone agrees
REPLY: ok, sure - it depends on what you like (as does everything). seems to be a fairly popular opinion, but ok.

*Multitude of fun activities within an easy drive (beach, sports, great shopping) multitude is a stretch, especially when compared to more affordable areas. I have lived in NYC, three cities in Florida and one city in Texas. I have also been to every major city on the eastern sea board and Chicago. South Florida isn't anything special.
REPLY: not sure you got me on this one. Setting water sports and fantastic sport fishing aside, I think South Florida has recreational activities on par with anywhere. Of course, we do not have mountains or snow skiing. Shopping is comparable to other large cities in the country, it just may not all be in one place...but just about every desirable store has a presence in S Fl.

*Low tax environment (no state inc tax, relatively low sales tax. YES, property taxes are high) cost of living is high in relation to wages, so taxes mean nothing at the end of the day when the average person is not making it. This is why the huge out flow of residents.
REPLY: taxes mean nothing for the average person? Politicians should try to take that angle in the fall when they want to raise them and see how that flies. Last time I checked, state taxes are taken out of one's paycheck before they have the funds to go shopping or pay their rent (and notice the cost of living).

*Very good road system You should travel more. I lived in the Dallas area and south Florida doesn't compare. Actually, from all my travels I don't see how South Florida supposed is so great a road system.
REPLY: agree on the fact that i should travel more. Not sure my family would agree though. I fly 2-3 times a week on average. Have been to nearly all 50 states and several dozen countries. Have lived overseas in two countries. NYC resident for 10 years. One of the great things about S Florida relative to other areas of the country is the ability to travel long distances in a reasonable amount of time on nicely conditioned roadways.

*Pockets of very good public education (depends on school) Same is true for many metro areas, this doesn't make this place a great buy
REPLY: true, but it is an essential for a desirable area

*Easy access to/from major east coast and midwest cities (~3 hours or less for Atlanta, Chicago, NY, Boston) I can do the same travel in less time from Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte etc so again this is not a selling point.
REPLY: perhaps, but it too is an essential thing for an area to have to be attractive, in my opinion. I am not trying to say S Fl is better than the cities you mention on any of these points. Also note that I said easy. As an aside, how many direct flights a day are you getting from Nashville to New York? Is it less than 25? What about international flights (Atlanta being the exception)?

Much work needs to be done to attract larger corporations to the area. Also need to concede that part of the reason wages are lower is because many ppl want to live here and the cost of living was quite a bit lower. That is by far the silliest thing I have ever heard.
REPLY: supply and demand of human capital silly? OK.
More people want to live in Chicago, NYC, Boston and many other places than they ever will want to live in S. Florida. Hence, the huge populations there.
REPLY: higher paying industries (e.g. financial sector and big corporate jobs) and more demand for human capital in those areas. Florida is dominated by service oriented small businesses.
However, you get paid a HECK of a lot more in these places too, for comparable job types.
REPLY: why do you think this is?

Not to mention the cost of living is similiar. I can rent a 3 bedroom in Brooklyn NYC for the same amount I pay for a 3 bedroom here in Ft. Lauderdale.
REPLY: please tell me the neighborhood and I will tell my friends to move there.
I would also double my income, half my travel expenses and city tax I can get back from federal. Food is also cheaper
REPLY: when are you relocating? sounds like a no-brainer.
Tell your friends to look in Flatbush, bedstuy, parts of crown heights and the list goes on. I know that city, was born and raised there. As for when I am leaving, have done a few interviews and as soon as I have a job im gone. As for the other stuff you said, not really going to respond, they were to far into the realm of subjectivity/opinion to have any real intelligent debate on.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Tell your friends to look in Flatbush, bedstuy, parts of crown heights and the list goes on.
To me, that's the equivalent of looking for housing in Sunland Park, Hammondville Rd area in Pompano, Deepside, Carver Ranches, etc...not raised there or here but born there and went to high school here and have some real roots both places. I think it could be objectively said that it is cheaper, but not MUCH cheaper to live in an equivalent area (well there is no real such thing but quality-wise) here than there when you tally the costs of everything else.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
To me, that's the equivalent of looking for housing in Sunland Park, Hammondville Rd area in Pompano, Deepside, Carver Ranches, etc...not raised there or here but born there and went to high school here and have some real roots both places. I think it could be objectively said that it is cheaper, but not MUCH cheaper to live in an equivalent area (well there is no real such thing but quality-wise) here than there when you tally the costs of everything else.
No disrespect but you know absolutly nothing about Brooklyn if that's what you think. There are places in Bed Stuy that very few places in Ft. Lauderdale could even compare to. The same goes for parts of Flatbush and even parts of CH.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:14 PM

Can you really get a 3 bedroom brownstone on the GOOD side of Bed-Stuy for under 2000 a month? We should continue this through DM, but I have to see to believe. You can't really compare any Brooklyn neighborhood to any Ft. Lauderdale area neighborhood so it's not even worth using those kind of comparisons. The only thing you can really compare is reputations within their respective place and how true the reputations hold. I know Flatbush even at it's worst isn't East NY but it still is what it is.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Can you really get a 3 bedroom brownstone on the GOOD side of Bed-Stuy for under 2000 a month? We should continue this through DM, but I have to see to believe. You can't really compare any Brooklyn neighborhood to any Ft. Lauderdale area neighborhood so it's not even worth using those kind of comparisons. The only thing you can really compare is reputations within their respective place and how true the reputations hold. I know Flatbush even at it's worst isn't East NY but it still is what it is.
Yep, As for Flatbush, as I said, I will put up its best to Ft. Lauderdale's best and Ft. Lauderdale will lose hands down. All of Flatbush is not the same. And yes I can find comparible rents in compariable safety to areas in Ft. Lauderdale for the same price range.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:40 AM

100 posts, read 354,723 times
I must say that everyone is running form Ft lauderdale and we are coming back. The grass is not always greener. Charlotte's job market is not great here. They are talking about Wachovia base leaving here. Yes it is beautiful, but it you are a person that likes culture, or is used to things being right there do not look for it here in Charlotte. We miss the beach and the people. The people that have transported themselves here are not the nicest people around and they seem to all have problems that they are running away from.That is just my 2 cents worth no offense to anyone. Hopefully we will be back down there by summers end.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:15 AM

167 posts, read 199,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingcharlotte1966 View Post
I must say that everyone is running form Ft lauderdale and we are coming back. The grass is not always greener. Charlotte's job market is not great here. They are talking about Wachovia base leaving here. Yes it is beautiful, but it you are a person that likes culture, or is used to things being right there do not look for it here in Charlotte. We miss the beach and the people. The people that have transported themselves here are not the nicest people around and they seem to all have problems that they are running away from.That is just my 2 cents worth no offense to anyone. Hopefully we will be back down there by summers end.
Welcome back and good luck to you .... we have neighbors here in Weston who just moved back after four years in Alpharetta , Georgia which is thought of as a paradise by some on this forum .... he is an executive with Verizon and I guess missed the ocean , diversity , water sports & tropical vegetation ... felt Alpharetta was boring , hated the traffic , air quality and racial tensions in Atlanta ... his family also thought the exclusive right wing Christian thought that permeates the area was awkward for his a Jewish family .... he also said there was a "fake nice " mentality in many of the people .. whatever that means ?

I like Alpharetta and Charlotte as I have been to both places ... would I move there in lieu of Weston or South Florida , probably not . I guess to each his own , but I do know of many cases where people have moved back from NC & Georgia ... I guess not everyone can get this "cesspool" that is South Florida out of their hearts !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area