Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 03:18 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,002,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
What time where bars/clubs open until back in the 80s in Lauderdale?? I think last call/closing today is 3/4 am... Were things open later back then??
Last Call was 2:00am for the vast majority of clubs in Ft Lauderdale in the 1980s (a State law), because I remember everyone would go to Denny's for an early breakfast. My Go-to Denny's was at Commercial and US1 - and it's still there. I was there a just a few years back, and reminisced of the old days with my waitress, who had worked there for over thirty years! She agreed those were wild times.

But I believe there was a County 'Exemption' for clubs around the airport to remain open until 4:00am.

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 07-04-2021 at 03:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 07:01 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
What time where bars/clubs open until back in the 80s in Lauderdale?? I think last call/closing today is 3/4 am... Were things open later back then??
They closed at 2:00am.

One of the only places that stayed open until 4:00am was City Limits.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,761 times
Default Cypress Creek Bowling alley

JUST was passing by 62nd St. and remembering the LATE night stops at that bowling alley on the way home.
Was at the Fire Station that responded to that tanker explosion, we kept a piece of the metal and made a wall clock out of it for Station 88 as a remembrance.
Remember around Ft. Lauderdale for Roland's, Christopher's, Yesterday's, Wooden Spoon, Whale & Porpoise, the OLD Bootlegger's (before Shooters was there), Dirty Nellie's, Roccies, Pete & Lenny's, Stained Glass Pub, Pierce Street Annex, Danny's & Studebakers (both W. Oakland Pk. Blvd), all the Big Daddy's, Mangoes...............to name a few oldies but Goodies.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:06 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regg 72 View Post
JUST was passing by 62nd St. and remembering the LATE night stops at that bowling alley on the way home.
Was at the Fire Station that responded to that tanker explosion, we kept a piece of the metal and made a wall clock out of it for Station 88 as a remembrance.
Remember around Ft. Lauderdale for Roland's, Christopher's, Yesterday's, Wooden Spoon, Whale & Porpoise, the OLD Bootlegger's (before Shooters was there), Dirty Nellie's, Roccies, Pete & Lenny's, Stained Glass Pub, Pierce Street Annex, Danny's & Studebakers (both W. Oakland Pk. Blvd), all the Big Daddy's, Mangoes...............to name a few oldies but Goodies.
Bowling alley- early 80's a bomb went off in that parking lot. I lived miles away and it rattled the windows of my bedroom! Bowling alley got sold and turned into a park and ride/tri rail lot.

Tanker explosion was terrible, people got BBQ'd in their cars when a high speed train hit the tail end of a tanker truck full of fuel.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...424-story.html

Old 01-19-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
And then there was: Fat Johnny's! (Commercial or Oakland, I think)

"Fat Johnny sez, Put Some South in Yer Mouth!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Fat Johnny's became the Bangkok Inn.

Fat Johnny used to sit in a rocker alongside the road urging people to "Put Some South in Your Mouth!"
The address is 1576 E. Oakland Park Blvd.

Originally it was a Red Barn restaurant built in the late 1960s and owned by Foodcraft, Inc. You can still see the distinctive roof and square vent topped with a chicken weathervane.

Became the Bangkok Inn around 1985, then Food Lover's, and most recently Rendez-Vous Bakery and Bistro for the past 15 years.

Old 09-14-2022, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,687 times
Default missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Not sure if it has been posted in the 48 pages but the two infamous strip clubs in Oakland Park/Ft Lauderdale have had their last pole dance!

Solid Gold was demolished years ago and is a fast food restaurant now. Pure Platinum was in Oakland Park so they got a pass for a few extra years but it to is now shuttered forever (2017). I had been to both, but not in many many years. At one point the Crazy Horse (Sample Rd/US1), Thee Dollhouse (Sample/US1) and SG/PP were the 4 hottest adult clubs in Broward County. I never made it to Thee Dollhouse but I helped girls get through college at the other 3!

Motley Crue even mentioned these places in one of their hit songs.....
You missed the best one.
Thee Dollhouse was the best!

Old 06-24-2023, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,144 times
I’m like 2 yrs late to this thread

The 3rd owner was Raymond “Sonny” Abruzzese. He also played for the Bills and the Jets with Joe Namath. Sonny was my uncle. He and Joe were best friends and college roommates.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherihodges View Post
I’m like 2 yrs late to this thread

The 3rd owner was Raymond “Sonny” Abruzzese. He also played for the Bills and the Jets with Joe Namath. Sonny was my uncle. He and Joe were best friends and college roommates.
I mentioned Abruzzese as the third Owner in this Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post

But who was the 'third' Bachelor here in FTL?

I think the third Bachelor in Fort Lauderdale was Raymond Abruzzese, another Bama teammate

Old 03-12-2024, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 421 times
You missed the big one! The Button!!!

Old 03-14-2024, 07:36 PM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disordered View Post
You missed the big one! The Button!!!
I think I saw Def Leppard there along with several local bands.
Maybe saw Def Leppard at the Hollywood Sportatorium....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area