Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Chelsa1075

Quote:
Wild - you never got back to me on whether or not you would come back to NY with your kids.
Yes and no, lol let me know if you want me to clarify.

Quote:
I realize that florida may not be the right fit for you, but do you think that your situation would be better in NY?
yes and no see answer 1 lol
Quote:
I'm being genuine about that question. Brownstone?? You can forget unless you have a million or more to spend on that.
Cousin bought his in bedstuy for 198,000 at the height they were 500,000. You mark my words, by the end of this it will be 198,000 again.

Quote:
That is due to all the gentrification going on here. And believe me I think it is a good thing to bring a neighborhood up, but the problem is then the backs of the people that the neigborhood was built on are priced out. So, there are pros and cons to that. As far as home prices go here, they haven't taken the hit that the rest of the country has. For the life of me, I can't figure out why.
Not sure where you are getting this from. Home sales in Brooklyn were down in the double digits, same in Manhattan and every other borough. The difference between NYC and Miami is the bust happened later in NYC than it did in Miami. Wall Street money propped up NYCs prices a lot longer. If Wall Street's fall would have happened in concert with the housing bust you would have seen prices in NYC nose dive. But along with that you would have seen a far faster exodus out of the city. To clarify what is happening. Imagine a race in two different cities. One starts at 10 in the morning and one starts at 5 at night. The one at 10 will finish its stages far faster than the one at 5 will. well that is what you are seeing with NYC's housing bubble. NYC home prices fell the last time this happened during the S&L (Savings and Loan) days and it will sure enough happen again. You also have retards who own homes in NYC who don't understand economics. As more job lay offs come, they will get it through there thick skulls, the game is over. Those home prices are unsustainable. There is no where that will be saved from what is happening. NYC is also seeing a adult population decline. The over all population decline isn't take a huge hit because it is being offset by child births. The comptroller of the city issued that statement in 2007. 2008 will have been no different when the numbers are released.

Quote:
Most of the homes are crap in my opinion. I don't really find a home built in 1905 that hasn't been remodeled since 1950 to be desirable, but if it were the right price, I would consider it. These people selling these homes still think that they should get clost to 500k for a house that is attached (townhome in Florida), with 1 bathroom no yard and maybe a garage. What sense does this make. Yes, yes, yes, it is the price you pay to live in the best city in the world!?!? Well, you can have it. I'd rather live modestly in a 4/2 with a pool in the backyard. I'll deal with the rudeness, I'm a NYer baby as nice as I am now is how nasty I can be - WATCH OUT- lol. Crazy driving, i'm probably one of them, I really like to get to where I'm going, no time for procrastinating. However, I will use my turn signal. I will never settle for a job that I know is not paying me what I'm worth, I will continue to look until I get a job that affords me a comfortable living style. I didn't sit around in NY, so just because I move to another state won't mean that all of the sudden, I become lazy or less ambitious. Truth is I don't exactly have the most glamorous career, if that is even what one would consider being a legal assistant. For me it is a job that I perform well, but 5:00p comes and I get to go home.
to each their own, I hope you find what you are looking for here or whever you end up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
MisterNY .... I was just in Atlanta for a seminar ( one week ) I had never been there , but just an observation it may be tough for a New Yorker to adjust . Other than Buckhead and parts of Midtown , I was shocked at the amount of vagrants and derelicts in the city , as well the traffic was mind numbing and the smog was real bad as well ( that was a shock ) .. but what really got to me seemed to be the "phony " conservative southern nice of many of the people I met and what seemed to be underlying racial tensions . I don't know as a former New Yorker myself I would not be able to adapt to Atlanta ... have you looked at other cities in the south like Charlotte or Houston .. I have been in these two cities many times and I got a real sense of hospitality and friendliness there .

Rock,
I go there quite often (every 2-3 months on avg). It has its pros and cons, but I actually like it more than South Florida. I am going again soon (2-3 weeks). I'm used to the traffic. I tried to stay in traffic in the mornings and evenings on I-85 and I-75, just to gauge whether or not I would be able to tolerate it. It's bad, but nothing I haven't seen. People are a lot nicer up there than they are down here, and to me it's a bigger city/metropolis than Miami or Ft Lauderdale. (speaking of the Metro area). You are right about the vagrants/bums though. Quite a bit in the city.

I'm also the type to keep to myself. The small circle of friends and family I have is enough for me in my life. I dont do much socializing with strangers anymore. I'm very courteous and considerate in public and with strangers but that's it. I dont see it as being rude, just a way to simplify my life (not sure it's good or bad, but easier on me) I realize, the less people, the less issues.
They can keep the fake Southern charm to themselves.

I went through Charlotte (just passed and stayed for a very short time), but didn't really spend the amount of time that I have in Atlanta. This summer, I will be going for a week to Charlotte to see what the city has to offer. I went to other parts of NC, but they were too slow for my liking. Greensboro and Raleigh, although nice are still slow. Downtown Greensboro reminds me of Downtown Orlando. Nice, but too small and too slow.

I want a balance of city life and realtive proximity to a good suburban area. Atlanta at this point seems to fit the bill for me in the South. I have a good amount of friends and family there. Friends and colleagues from NYC that moved there are liking it. I already have an offer to work up there this year (starting August, that's if I take it). I'm waiting for my wife's interview date confirmations. She's an RN).

I dont want to live in Texas. Been there, I dont really care for it. A friend and his family relocated to Austin recently, and invited me for a weekend. I will be flying there soon, (sometime Memorial weekend) . (I love to travel btw )

Old 02-20-2009, 09:50 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i know some really good people there still, difficult to believe when my late great uncle and aunt retired there from NYC it was a paradise. now mean streets, no jobs, hurricanes, 20 ft snakes and alligators.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Rock,
I go there quite often (every 2-3 months on avg). It has its pros and cons, but I actually like it more than South Florida. I am going again soon (2-3 weeks). I'm used to the traffic. I tried to stay in traffic in the mornings and evenings on I-85 and I-75, just to gauge whether or not I would be able to tolerate it. It's bad, but nothing I haven't seen. People are a lot nicer up there than they are down here, and to me it's a bigger city/metropolis than Miami or Ft Lauderdale. (speaking of the Metro area). You are right about the vagrants/bums though. Quite a bit in the city.

I'm also the type to keep to myself. The small circle of friends and family I have is enough for me in my life. I dont do much socializing with strangers anymore. I'm very courteous and considerate in public and with strangers but that's it. I dont see it as being rude, just a way to simplify my life (not sure it's good or bad, but easier on me) I realize, the less people, the less issues.
They can keep the fake Southern charm to themselves.

I went through Charlotte (just passed and stayed for a very short time), but didn't really spend the amount of time that I have in Atlanta. This summer, I will be going for a week to Charlotte to see what the city has to offer. I went to other parts of NC, but they were too slow for my liking. Greensboro and Raleigh, although nice are still slow. Downtown Greensboro reminds me of Downtown Orlando. Nice, but too small and too slow.

I want a balance of city life and realtive proximity to a good suburban area. Atlanta at this point seems to fit the bill for me in the South. I have a good amount of friends and family there. Friends and colleagues from NYC that moved there are liking it. I already have an offer to work up there this year (starting August, that's if I take it). I'm waiting for my wife's interview date confirmations. She's an RN).

I dont want to live in Texas. Been there, I dont really care for it. A friend and his family relocated to Austin recently, and invited me for a weekend. I will be flying there soon, (sometime Memorial weekend) . (I love to travel btw )
Georgia also has water problems because of all the sprawl. I remember they were trying to get boundaries re drawn with Tennessee so they would have access to more water. Droughtville

Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Yes, I would like you to clarify - please.

Perhaps you are right about some parts of Brooklyn declining, but lets be fair that most NYers are not running to live in Bedstuy (even if that is the home of the best rapper to ever grace us - thought I'd throw that in :-))

Look up home prices in Woodside, Jackson Heights, Astoria, LIC - the prices haven't fallen that much and the schools aren't even great in these neighborhoods, they are marginal at best. Look at Whitestone, College Point, Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck, areas with great schools, not that much cheaper than last year and they are not convenient at all commuting wise. Each of these places would easily take over 1.5 hours to get to the City. Might as well live in Jersey, Connecticut, LI for that.

I'm talking about quality of life here. Are there nice areas in Bedstuy? Sure, but right around the corner is the gutter and you know that as well as I do. I know the are well enough to know that I wouldn't tell people, sure it is a great place to live and your kids will get top educations there. You moved away for a reason right?

At this point in my life I'm less concerned about what I can do and what fun I will have staying in the city versus, what I think my kids need. Funny thing is that I think once all is said and done, they will probably come back here to try things out for a bit. And good for them, if that is what they choose, but I want to show them something else in the meantime. I have friends who have never been anywhere else and are scared to leave NY because how can they live anywhere else (small place to live when you are so limited).

Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 AM

Hey Mister - DC sounds like it may be a good fit for you - the suburbs of DC are closer in proximity than those in NY and are much nicer. Imagine Queens/Brooklyn being suburbs. Maryland and Virginia both are beautiful states and offer excellent education. I'm afraid that there really isn't going to be any place that is fast on the scale you are looking for. The thing I learned to stop doing is saying oh this is the way we do it in NY - no one likes to hear that and DUH you are not in NY anymore (general statement not directed towards you). The first time I visited Orlando I expected way too much. I got off the plane and saw pretty much all the same faces I saw in NY, culture wise. Lots of Indians, spanish, white, Asians, etc. But whoah, that is the only way they are the same. I really have to say that I thought of Orlando as the most boring place on the PLANET. If I had gone to Alabama, I think it would have been different. Here is why, mentally, I did not prepare myself for the slow down and oh yes there is one. Had I gone to Alabama I would have said things are going to be different, so I have to relax and mentally I would have. All too often people from the big city (NY in particular), think that because the area is saturated with NYers it will be similar if not the same. You and I both agree that NY is so different from SFL. I am a firm believer that there is NYC and then everywhere else. Not that NY is better, but it is just a different place and there really isn't any other place in this world that operates quite like NYC. There are places that come close, but they are in other countries, Paris, London, Tokyo and Hong Kong, similar, but still so different.

At some point you just get tired of the everyday grind - it wears you down. At least with me it has. I think every person should visit and even live in NYC at some point in life. there are so many experience to be had here. But to make it the place you live forever unless you have lots and lots of money!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I was in plantation with the iguanas. Not to far from the post office. Those iguanas were the size of a full sized "hot dog" I don't know the real name of those dogs but you know what I am talking about. HUGE man, and they would ravish our garden. It was very annoying.

I have a kid and wife but man I just hate to much space. By space I mean backyard. My ideal situation would be a brownstone or a house like one somewhere. Maybe a greystone in Chicago or one of those Victorian homes in San Fran or something. I love those type houses. Not to big, backyard small enough. My ideal situation would be to live somewhere that I could have no car. Could walk every where or take mass transit.

I have a TON of friends in Atlanta. Prices are falling there too man, you should look into it. A friend of mine had a two bedroom apartment in the heart of downtown Atlantat for 800 a month. Another friend of mine has a 4 bedroom out there. I never asked him how much he paid but I know his monthly payments is something like 800 or so a month. That is not a adjustable rate mortgage either.

Damn lizards. I hate those things. I hear you on the yard thing. It's not the grass that bothers me, it's all the plants and everything else that need the most maintenance that bothers me. I could deal with a few trees and some grass, but that's it. The wife has been warned.

The types of residences you mention, you can find them in Metro Atlanta. Brownstones are even available. If you can find a job in the city, and have an Apt/Brownstone or Loft in Metro Atlanta, you'd be fine. If I were single, or had one child, I'd do the same.

I have a cousin that moved from NYC, and bought a loft in Castleberry Hill. Works downtown and would not go back to NYC. He takes the bus to work sometimes, and rides his bicycle around to do other things. It's ideal for a real city dweller. You may want to look into it. I think what differentiates us two is space, but I love the city life (but with the wife and kids ). That's why I cant stay too far from it. I can park my car somewhere and take a train or bus, walk all over and I'm good.

I know prices are falling. A friend of mine is a realtor, and will be taking me all over to check out homes and land lots (Foreclosed and rehab homes as well. She told me there are deals to be had). I am going to see what's out there.

Check these out:

local townhomes in Atlanta Metro:
http://www.ianmarshall.com/files/wes...e%20condos.jpg

Brownstones in Atlanta:
http://www.condoatlanta.com/images/B...esAtHonour.jpg

http://www.condoatlanta.com/images/B...sAtDecatur.jpg

I think you would enjoy that and the city convenience.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Chelsa1075

Quote:
Yes, I would like you to clarify - please.
I am a economist by education (have a degree in it) so this is where I am coming from with what I am about to say. America has whats called a F.I.R.E. (Finance, Insurance and Real Estate) economy which is dying. Places that were heavily dependent on those industries are not going to do well. Those that are more diverse, have more mom and pop shops and have a stronger local economy will weather this far better than F.I.R.E. economy based ones. NYC is definitely a F.I.R.E. economy based city to the hilt. So, my prognosis for it isn't very good. But the same is true of Florida nd in particular South Florida. However IF this wasn't the case I would move back to NYC and raise a family in a heart beat. Even with what is going on I would move back only because I have tons of family there. As things get worse we can help and depend on each other. So yes I would go but no I probably wont go because of whats going on and what I think is going to happen. To be honest I would like to leave America. We shall see what happens.

Quote:
Perhaps you are right about some parts of Brooklyn declining, but lets be fair that most NYers are not running to live in Bedstuy (even if that is the home of the best rapper to ever grace us - thought I'd throw that in
Rakim is from Long Island

Quote:
Look up home prices in Woodside, Jackson Heights, Astoria, LIC - the prices haven't fallen that much and the schools aren't even great in these neighborhoods, they are marginal at best. Look at Whitestone, College Point, Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck, areas with great schools, not that much cheaper than last year and they are not convenient at all commuting wise. Each of these places would easily take over 1.5 hours to get to the City. Might as well live in Jersey, Connecticut, LI for that.
As I said it takes a long time for prices to go down. It takes a equal amount of time for prices to deflate as they do to inflate. Just track when prices started going up until the time prices started decline. Then you can figure out how long it will take. EVERY time this has happened (80s, 30s, 1800s) it comes right back down. But again it takes time, its not over night. Just see what happened last time. They always say "yeah but this time is different" but it is never different. Ponzi Schemes dont work, they are unsustainable.

Quote:
I'm talking about quality of life here. Are there nice areas in Bedstuy? Sure, but right around the corner is the gutter and you know that as well as I do. I know the are well enough to know that I wouldn't tell people, sure it is a great place to live and your kids will get top educations there. You moved away for a reason right?
Im not from Bedstuy, but I would live there. I am Muslim and my son goes to a private Islamic school and it would be no different if I moved back home so the level of public schools aren't something that equates into my situation. As to why I moved, it wasn't becuase of quality of life. It was family reasons.

Quote:
At this point in my life I'm less concerned about what I can do and what fun I will have staying in the city versus, what I think my kids need. Funny thing is that I think once all is said and done, they will probably come back here to try things out for a bit. And good for them, if that is what they choose, but I want to show them something else in the meantime. I have friends who have never been anywhere else and are scared to leave NY because how can they live anywhere else (small place to live when you are so limited).
Your friends don't want to leave becuase they are not disasstified. Once disasstification sets in theyw ill leave (if it does) as I say, to each their own. Friend of mine tried to convince me to move to Atlanta, but I hate the place. Told him, he live his life and I will live mine. As long as he is happy that is all that matters and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Damn lizards. I hate those things. I hear you on the yard thing. It's not the grass that bothers me, it's all the plants and everything else that need the most maintenance that bothers me. I could deal with a few trees and some grass, but that's it. The wife has been warned.

The types of residences you mention, you can find them in Metro Atlanta. Brownstones are even available. If you can find a job in the city, and have an Apt/Brownstone or Loft in Metro Atlanta, you'd be fine. If I were single, or had one child, I'd do the same.

I have a cousin that moved from NYC, and bought a loft in Castleberry Hill. Works downtown and would not go back to NYC. He takes the bus to work sometimes, and rides his bicycle around to do other things. It's ideal for a real city dweller. You may want to look into it. I think what differentiates us two is space, but I love the city life (but with the wife and kids ). That's why I cant stay too far from it. I can park my car somewhere and take a train or bus, walk all over and I'm good.

I know prices are falling. A friend of mine is a realtor, and will be taking me all over to check out homes and land lots (Foreclosed and rehab homes as well. She told me there are deals to be had). I am going to see what's out there.

Check these out:

local townhomes in Atlanta Metro:
http://www.ianmarshall.com/files/wes...e%20condos.jpg

Brownstones in Atlanta:
http://www.condoatlanta.com/images/B...esAtHonour.jpg

http://www.condoatlanta.com/images/B...sAtDecatur.jpg

I think you would enjoy that and the city convenience.
Honestly man, I absolutely hate Atlanta. I just wasn't feeling it at all. I was in Stone Mountain had access to a car. Went to little five point and every place else. Just wasn't my cup of tea. Had more to do with the mentalities than the actual city though. I must admit, I am a bit prejudice against southerners. Its my hang up. Not all of them are bad but some of them are just to ignorant for my taste. Chicago or the N.E. is my speed.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Hey Mister - DC sounds like it may be a good fit for you - the suburbs of DC are closer in proximity than those in NY and are much nicer. Imagine Queens/Brooklyn being suburbs. Maryland and Virginia both are beautiful states and offer excellent education. I'm afraid that there really isn't going to be any place that is fast on the scale you are looking for. The thing I learned to stop doing is saying oh this is the way we do it in NY - no one likes to hear that and DUH you are not in NY anymore (general statement not directed towards you). The first time I visited Orlando I expected way too much. I got off the plane and saw pretty much all the same faces I saw in NY, culture wise. Lots of Indians, spanish, white, Asians, etc. But whoah, that is the only way they are the same. I really have to say that I thought of Orlando as the most boring place on the PLANET. If I had gone to Alabama, I think it would have been different. Here is why, mentally, I did not prepare myself for the slow down and oh yes there is one. Had I gone to Alabama I would have said things are going to be different, so I have to relax and mentally I would have. All too often people from the big city (NY in particular), think that because the area is saturated with NYers it will be similar if not the same. You and I both agree that NY is so different from SFL. I am a firm believer that there is NYC and then everywhere else. Not that NY is better, but it is just a different place and there really isn't any other place in this world that operates quite like NYC. There are places that come close, but they are in other countries, Paris, London, Tokyo and Hong Kong, similar, but still so different.

At some point you just get tired of the everyday grind - it wears you down. At least with me it has. I think every person should visit and even live in NYC at some point in life. there are so many experience to be had here. But to make it the place you live forever unless you have lots and lots of money!

Chelz,
I'm not disagreeing with you. You are right about NYC. Why did many people leave NY to begin with? That's so true. I love the city, but wanted a change (just like you ), and also wanted more space. I did not want Florida (more like DC/VA at the time), but with the folks convincing me to move here and the incentives they gave me, I gave it a try. It was a professional mistake, and initially a financial one. No time for regrets. It was a lesson and there was some good that came out of it. It was not all negative. (here's why..keep reading)

At the same time, the folks made certain things easy for me, such as residence etc...I'm paying way less than what I would be paying in Atlanta, NYC and what people are paying here for rat holes. They bought two nice houses in West Pembroke Pines during the mid 90s for what anyone would consider dirt cheap now, and I am renting one of them.

They sold their NY property to move here, and bought two houses with a substantial amount of money. That made things easier for me, my wife and kids. We save more, are both employed, are frugal, live within (more like beneath) our means (no credit cards, no car notes, paid off school loans, no fancy lifestyle). We have a system where we only use one of our paychecks for all the bills in the house, the other we save. If I told you what we paid for rent, you would not believe it. I thank my parents everytime I write them a check. But we just dont like Florida. We're both from the Northeast, and do not like how things are here, and think we should take advantage of our options for now and move. We've saved a good amount and are planning our move, hopefully this year. If not, next year. (I can move in August, got a job offer already in Atlanta. I'm waiting on the wife).

I can't force you or anyone to live where they dont want to. I just give you suggestions and things to think about. I thought you may like Orlando since you mentioned small town living. It's no NYC or Atlanta, but it's a growing city, with its share of growing pains. I lived there, and liked somethings about it. It was too slow for me.

I love Maryland/DC area. VA is cool too. I dont know if I want to live there though at this point. I've been there numerous times, have a few friends that left NYC to live there, and would not move back to the city. It's not easy to come back to NYC, once you left, certainly with kids. I will always be a city boy at heart, but not sure I want to live in NYC again (maybe Long Island). Not with a wife and kids, anyways. I feel you.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM

I understand you completely Wild - see your situation is opposite of mine - all my family lives in Florid, not NY - none of them would ever return to NY. There done with here. That is my husbands attraction to Florida not mine. As I said before, I would live other places before Florida, but I'm compromising with my husband, we'll try Florida, if we don't like it then we will move somewhere else, not NY.

As for the friends who won't leave - they want to go, they just have a fear of the unknown. I don't have this fear, I'm willing to try anything out.

Love the Rakim omage(sp?) - that was great - he was fantastic too - matter of fact I just downloaded some old school to my Ipod yesterday.

I think it is fantastic that you can send your son to a muslim school, but let's say that was not an option, would you prefer to send him to an A school in florida or a public school in bedstuy - be honest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area