Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,957 times

Advertisements

My friend who daughter attends Am' Heritage, just called me this minute to let me know her daughter will be staying with us for two weeks this summer after she gets out from camp. Our daughters are best friends... She complained that it was cold in SFL today and yesterday.

I told her I canceled my plans to move, and boy was she upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 AM

15 posts, read 100,168 times
No one can decide for you. I lived there almost 20 years and left to move to the beaches in S.C. Lived in the Ft Lauderdale-Hollywood area right on the beach. Now is a bad time to "move" as home prices and conditions are not stable, unless you are using a trusted bank and realtor. Weather is good, humid in summer, unless close to the beach, and still it is hot. Winter is nice and cooler (70s), not humid and is pleasant, the best. Traffic is always dense all over. Jobs are typically service and most all pay low wages. If you are a professional type, have the job ready before moving. The "shine" of paradise wears off quickly, when the reality of routine living shocks you back to today. Insurance for real estate is high! South Florida is a total difference from the Orlando area, 3-4 hours drive northward. Orlando is cooler in winter by far, humid/hot in summer, and spread out too. That City has fewer odds of a hurricane being in the middle of the state! But, it has/does get them, as well as tropical storms. Season is June thru Nov 30th.

Remember the hurricane risk! Also, getting away from hurricanes requires travel northward and the hurricanes could follow you to your destination too. The state is narrow, so moving away from a hurricane by driving to the west side/coast does not work. Best is have a place and stay where you are, but, beach areas are urged to vacate, depending on hurricane strength and direction.

Condos are expensive and ALWAYS remember, they charge EXTRA monthly "maintenance fees" on TOP of your mortgage!! Fancy places or not, it is expensive and can range from a few hundred to several hundred dollars a month! Almost like a second mortgage payment! It supposed to cover security, maintenance etc, but: "Maintenance" REALLY means staff payroll NOT UPKEEP! The cost of building repairs are always passed ON to YOU as a resident/owner, and come out of the blue and are VERY high if the building is older (1-20 years range) to replace the A/C roof condenser, roof , paint, elevsators, on and on. Be sure you really check this and FULLY understand how much you may have to pay, it will kill you!!

Good luck and if you vist first, you MUST stay at least a month to fully grasp the flow. A short trip will NOT give you any flavor or idea!

Last edited by Fortunekookie; 01-23-2009 at 03:29 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunekookie View Post
No one can decide for you. I lived there almost 20 years and left to move to the beaches in S.C. Lived in the Ft Lauderdale-Hollywood area right on the beach. Now is a bad time to "move" as home prices and conditions are not stable, unless you are using a trusted bank and realtor. Weather is good, humid in summer, unless close to the beach, and still it is hot. Winter is nice and cooler (70s), not humid and is pleasant, the best. Traffic is always dense all over. Jobs are typically service and most all pay low wages. If you are a professional type, have the job ready before moving. The "shine" of paradise wears off quickly, when the reality of routine living shocks you back to today. Insurance for real estate is high! South Florida is a total difference from the Orlando area, 3-4 hours drive northward. Orlando is cooler in winter by far, humid/hot in summer, and spread out too. That City has fewer odds of a hurricane being in the middle of the state! But, it has/does get them, as well as tropical storms. Season is June thru Nov 30th.

Remember the hurricane risk! Also, getting away from hurricanes requires travel northward and the hurricanes could follow you to your destination too. The state is narrow, so moving away from a hurricane by driving to the west side/coast does not work. Best is have a place and stay where you are, but, beach areas are urged to vacate, depending on hurricane strength and direction.

Condos are expensive and ALWAYS remember, they charge EXTRA monthly "maintenance fees" on TOP of your mortgage!! Fancy places or not, it is expensive and can range from a few hundred to several hundred dollars a month! Almost like a second mortgage payment! It supposed to cover security, maintenance etc, but: "Maintenance" REALLY means staff payroll NOT UPKEEP! The cost of building repairs are always passed ON to YOU as a resident/owner, and come out of the blue and are VERY high if the building is older (1-20 years range) to replace the A/C roof condenser, roof , paint, elevsators, on and on. Be sure you really check this and FULLY understand how much you may have to pay, it will kill you!!

Good luck and if you vist first, you MUST stay at least a month to fully grasp the flow. A short trip will NOT give you any flavor or idea!
Good advice.

Hey, you live in kinda of my second home. I've been going to Myrtle Beach twice a year on vacation for the last six years or so. SFL beaches can't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:09 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Hey Tonyc, i think you are on the fence about SFL huh. I don't know if I would agree about the beaches though. Miam/Ft. Lauderdale, about as close as you will get to carribean as anything I know and I lived in PR for a bit, so I know a little bit of what I'm referring to. I think it all depends on your take. I completely agree about the job situation! I also think if you are looking for a southern feel then SFL is not the place for you. It is full of too many Northerners, who have not completely been unwound. I think (could be completely off about this), that SFL runs a little faster than most other places in Florida, but is still a lot slower (to me) than NYC. I think if you want a true southern feel, home town type of place. SC, NC, VA, TN, AL are states that are better suited for those types of people. SFL will do me just fine, I'm not sure I'm ready to slow down so much.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:33 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Hey Tonyc, i think you are on the fence about SFL huh. I don't know if I would agree about the beaches though. Miam/Ft. Lauderdale, about as close as you will get to carribean as anything I know and I lived in PR for a bit, so I know a little bit of what I'm referring to. I think it all depends on your take. I completely agree about the job situation! I also think if you are looking for a southern feel then SFL is not the place for you. It is full of too many Northerners, who have not completely been unwound. I think (could be completely off about this), that SFL runs a little faster than most other places in Florida, but is still a lot slower (to me) than NYC. I think if you want a true southern feel, home town type of place. SC, NC, VA, TN, AL are states that are better suited for those types of people. SFL will do me just fine, I'm not sure I'm ready to slow down so much.
Ditto for me and I agree wholeheartedly. Listen folks, there's nothing wrong with S. Carolina or any other place being appropriate for YOU. Florida is not for everyone.

Like Chelsa, I like the proximity of S. Florida to P.R. and the islands. I think it's as close to the Caribbean as one can get and still be in the USA. Plus I love the easy access to NYC via plane, etc.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Chelc..u have to visit Myrtle Beach http://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/ , SFL beaches can't come anywhere near it. SFL has the edge if ur into surfing though, not that it gets real big, but still decent.

I'm on the fence because I know I'll never be able to get my salary and sustain my lifestyle there. So for right now spirit-$9-club and I will be best friends.

Last edited by tonyc; 01-23-2009 at 07:53 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 07:54 AM

I know what you mean about your consideration for moving here. I have been to Myrtle beach (remember lived in MD for a while, so next to Ocean City, Myrtle Beach seems like a real vacation), and the waters are nice, but not crystal blue like Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. Unless, they put something in the water to clear it up I don't remember it being that clear and not nearly as warm. Jeesh what job do you have that you take all these vacations - LOL. I did want to pick your brain about DC VA. My firm has an office in DC and I'm thinking perhaps, I'll move in that direction. I just really want something different for my boys. You lived in NY and I think you can agree that it is not the best place to raise 2 boys who live for sports. If they were models or into theatre or something artsy, I would think there was no better place, but for what they are into, I don't think this is the place. Funny thing is a big part of me thinks that once they are out of college NY is where they will head back to - I could be wrong!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean about your consideration for moving here. I have been to Myrtle beach (remember lived in MD for a while, so next to Ocean City, Myrtle Beach seems like a real vacation), and the waters are nice, but not crystal blue like Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. Unless, they put something in the water to clear it up I don't remember it being that clear and not nearly as warm. Jeesh what job do you have that you take all these vacations - LOL. I did want to pick your brain about DC VA. My firm has an office in DC and I'm thinking perhaps, I'll move in that direction. I just really want something different for my boys. You lived in NY and I think you can agree that it is not the best place to raise 2 boys who live for sports. If they were models or into theatre or something artsy, I would think there was no better place, but for what they are into, I don't think this is the place. Funny thing is a big part of me thinks that once they are out of college NY is where they will head back to - I could be wrong!
Chelc...MD/DC/VA is one of the best places on the east coast to live. The job opportunity here is excellent. You should be even able to get your current salary here or close to. I moved here totally by accident; I sent my resume out and got an offer for more that I was making in NYC. I was much younger then and I missed the club life etc bigtime, and the fast pace etc.. And the rest is history... As far as the kids go, there's no better place I think - they will love it here. There is just so so much for them to do and you can still fly to SFL for $9, and take a 3 hour drive when you wan't some white castle...lol

Old 01-23-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Miami water clear..negative.

I stayed at the Westin Diplomat in Hillandale; rooms cost $500 night. Guess what, ruined 3 of my board shorts because of tar in the water.

South beach - riddled with seaweed and had to walk like a 1/4 mile (seem like...lol) to get into the water.

Surfside....well lots of good eyefood, nice slope and good waves.

FLL ...on point, short walk into the surf...was heaven, not clear water though. But crystal clear if you compare to the murky waters of OC or Dewey.

Crystal clear = clearwater beach, west coast ......

Last edited by tonyc; 01-23-2009 at 08:19 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 08:54 AM

what is this 9$ club you are referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area