Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,916 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't understand why Lehigh Acres has gotten such a bad rep. I've lived here for about 3 years and love it. I moved my family here from the midwest and was warned about all the horrible crime and conditions in Lehigh.

Now, after being here for awhile, I honestly don't see what people were talking about. I watch the local news every morning, and 90% of the "bad crime" happens in Fort Myers and Cape Coral, with Lehigh Acres rarely ever mentioned.
But, for some reason, the people that live in Fort Myers and Cape Coral refuse to acknowledge this fact. I'm beginning to think that they need to feel like their cities are better and are using Lehigh as their scapegoat. It's a prestige thing, or something.

We're only 20 minutes from downtown Fort Myers, but only go there for doctor appointments, and sometimes the mall, mostly because the traffic is worse, and we've only been to Cape Coral twice in three years. We prefer the open space of Lehigh Acres to the hustle-bustle of the cities.

One thing that I found funny was while talking with a nice lady from Cape Coral. She was putting down Lehigh Acres left and right, telling me that we should move to the Cape. Then, we started talking about hurricanes and that she always has to vacate her home whenever a hurricane is heading her way because she lives so close to the Gulf. I asked her where she went during the storm...to which she looked down at her shoes and mumbled that she rode out the hurricanes at her sister's house in LEHIGH ACRES. LOL! Lehigh is far enough inland to avoid the storm surge and the elevation is high enough to avoid the flooding.

She bad-mouthed Lehigh into the ground, but this is where she runs to when the storms are coming. I found that little tidbit amusing.

As far as buying a house goes...to me it depends on if you're looking for a home or an investment. I bought a house here in Lehigh for next to nothing, and could care less whether the value of the property goes up or down. We love it here and have no plans of moving in the future.

There is one thing, though. If you have any issues with Hispanic people you probably wouldn't like it here. There are a LOT of Hispanics. When you walk into the Walmart in Lehigh, english is the second language, lol.

So, yes, there are people that like living in Lehigh. The weather is great, the people are nice and everything is spread out with plenty of room to breathe.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 AM

31 posts, read 89,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLboy View Post
Personally, I don't understand why Lehigh Acres has gotten such a bad rep. I've lived here for about 3 years and love it. I moved my family here from the midwest and was warned about all the horrible crime and conditions in Lehigh.

Now, after being here for awhile, I honestly don't see what people were talking about. I watch the local news every morning, and 90% of the "bad crime" happens in Fort Myers and Cape Coral, with Lehigh Acres rarely ever mentioned.
But, for some reason, the people that live in Fort Myers and Cape Coral refuse to acknowledge this fact. I'm beginning to think that they need to feel like their cities are better and are using Lehigh as their scapegoat. It's a prestige thing, or something.

We're only 20 minutes from downtown Fort Myers, but only go there for doctor appointments, and sometimes the mall, mostly because the traffic is worse, and we've only been to Cape Coral twice in three years. We prefer the open space of Lehigh Acres to the hustle-bustle of the cities.

One thing that I found funny was while talking with a nice lady from Cape Coral. She was putting down Lehigh Acres left and right, telling me that we should move to the Cape. Then, we started talking about hurricanes and that she always has to vacate her home whenever a hurricane is heading her way because she lives so close to the Gulf. I asked her where she went during the storm...to which she looked down at her shoes and mumbled that she rode out the hurricanes at her sister's house in LEHIGH ACRES. LOL! Lehigh is far enough inland to avoid the storm surge and the elevation is high enough to avoid the flooding.

She bad-mouthed Lehigh into the ground, but this is where she runs to when the storms are coming. I found that little tidbit amusing.

As far as buying a house goes...to me it depends on if you're looking for a home or an investment. I bought a house here in Lehigh for next to nothing, and could care less whether the value of the property goes up or down. We love it here and have no plans of moving in the future.

There is one thing, though. If you have any issues with Hispanic people you probably wouldn't like it here. There are a LOT of Hispanics. When you walk into the Walmart in Lehigh, english is the second language, lol.

So, yes, there are people that like living in Lehigh. The weather is great, the people are nice and everything is spread out with plenty of room to breathe.
Thank you, I read this forum daily but have never really posted. I moved to Lehigh after looking around everywhere, I like the openess, I have a few neigbors but not many. I see wildlife all the time it is not for everyone.

And yes all of the people I have met that live in the Cape or Fort Myers think I live in a waste area.

But when you have room to walk your dogs, while seing foxes and deer. Not much traffic, and peace and quiet.

As for hispanics,even though I am white I came from California, so I have never had a problem with English as a second language, but so far for us going on 2 years, is finding good authentic mexican food, everywhere around here we have tried is all tex-mex.

Anyone know where to get a authentic chile verde burrito, as I use to get at the local carerceria's or mercado's in California?

Just my two cents.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeysgrl View Post
Thank you, I read this forum daily but have never really posted. I moved to Lehigh after looking around everywhere, I like the openess, I have a few neigbors but not many. I see wildlife all the time it is not for everyone.

And yes all of the people I have met that live in the Cape or Fort Myers think I live in a waste area.

But when you have room to walk your dogs, while seing foxes and deer. Not much traffic, and peace and quiet.

As for hispanics,even though I am white I came from California, so I have never had a problem with English as a second language, but so far for us going on 2 years, is finding good authentic mexican food, everywhere around here we have tried is all tex-mex.

Anyone know where to get a authentic chile verde burrito, as I use to get at the local carerceria's or mercado's in California?

Just my two cents.
There is no way of telling what is around anymore, but try Bonita Springs. We could always get good, authentic food there. Lots of mom and pops owned by Mexicans. Be on the lookout for authentic taquerias on Old 41. The old Taco Aridente on Bonita Beach Road (beach side of 41) is now Taco Mix and I hear it is pretty good.

My husband grew up in swFlorida and only goes authentic. He's a Mexican food connoisseur. Bonita was always the place to go for the good stuff. Very friendly and welcoming people, too.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Lehigh Acres is a nice part of Ft. Myers.. We lived in La Belle when we moved down there in 2004 and commuted from La Belle to Ft. Myers everyday. I worked at the Perkins Restaurant on 884 by Walmart..

Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Lehigh Acres is a nice part of Ft. Myers.. We lived in La Belle when we moved down there in 2004 and commuted from La Belle to Ft. Myers everyday. I worked at the Perkins Restaurant on 884 by Walmart..
Been there at that time, my friend. If you waited on me I am quite sure I gave you a good tip.

By the way, the last time I went to Perkins it was a few months ago, in Knoxville, and the quality is way, way down. Bummer.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:56 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
The Perkins on Del Prado is good. You can get a home style meal for $7.99

Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
The Perkins on CC Parkway is the best one. I went to the one on Del Prado a couple times and it was so so... Perkins seem to be hit and miss recently.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:56 PM

8 posts, read 18,455 times
what are the best areas in lehigh if your looking for housing (buy or rent)

its it north west and south west parts? think its Centennial and Westminster?

ps. im an out of towner

Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
The Perkins on CC Parkway is the best one. I went to the one on Del Prado a couple times and it was so so... Perkins seem to be hit and miss recently.
The last time I was in the one on CC Pkwy the hostess looked at her watch when we walked in, at 7:00PM. They close at 10:30PM. Then, they were vacuuming while we were eating.
Sorry for straying from the OP

Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,784 times
I have to agree Perkins is not a place we are impressed with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area