Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:12 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,521,525 times

Advertisements

The unemployment rate rose to 11.4 percent in Collier, up from 10.1 in May and 6.8 percent a year ago. In Lee, it was 13 percent last month, up from 12.5 percent a month earlier and 7.9 percent a year ago, according to the Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation.

There were 16,709 unemployed residents in Collier last month. Lee had 35,784 residents out of work.

Statewide, the unemployment rate was 10.6 percent in June, up from 10.3 percent in May. There were 970,000 state residents without jobs out of a labor force of 9,192,000.

The nation’s jobless rate is 9.5 percent.

Florida’s unemployment rate hasn’t been this high since October 1975 _ when it stood at 11 percent.

The state lost 392,800 jobs, or 5.1 percent, in June, compared to the same month a year ago. That was higher than the national rate of decline for June, which was 4.1 percent over the year.

Declines began in construction, but now have spread to nearly all the other major industries in Florida."

Jobless rates rise in Lee, Collier counties » Naples Daily News

Perfect time to pack up the kiddies and move to FL! Hey, the realtor says so as do the retired neighbors! They can't be wrong because nothing can be as awful and terrible as shovling snow!.....

What some have no idea about is that the number of residents in Lee County who count in the population and are retired or snowbirds....a 13% unemployment rate in a retiree-based city is enormous. And many of those who live in Charlotte (all of 2 cities) commute to Lee, Sarasota or Manatee (which is at 11%) for employment.

I'm not trying to be smug b/c I live in a city that is hovering around 10%. But I am truly grateful for our current employment and guess sucking up crappy weather, be it hot or cold, is better than being unemployed.

Just wondering where info can be found that compares the quality of new construction...being lurred by sun & cheap homes is very much "buyer beware" in SWFL.

Last edited by 121804; 07-17-2009 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 09:57 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,348,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Ya well I am not from Boston where the people are pretty obnoxious. I am from Western MA, and it is a whole different world out there. People are NOT like that out there. Not a lot of traffic, we don't drive like Boston people either... And contrary to what others think, people here SUCK at driving, Florida is the worst place to drive... Been here 15 years, and it has not gotten better. It's not retirees either, it's mostly anyone else but elderly or retirees... Crappy weather???? LOL.... It's not all sun and happiness here, it's stupidly hot, humid, and the air is NASTY...
Yeah. I LOVE nhkev's post. Perfect. But I'm not from Boston, either. I'm from a little town south of Worcester on the CT line. It's more than an hour to Boston. No traffic, no lines in restaurants, the people are nice and the area is very, very pretty with lots of beautiful, historical places and homes. Florida was a shock to the system.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

Perfect time to pack up the kiddies and move to FL! Hey, the realtor says so as do the retired neighbors! They can't be wrong because nothing can be as awful and terrible as shovling snow!.....

What some have no idea about is that the number of residents in Lee County who count in the population and are retired or snowbirds....a 13% unemployment rate in a retiree-based city is enormous. And many of those who live in Charlotte (all of 2 cities) commute to Lee, Sarasota or Manatee (which is at 11%) for employment.

I'm not trying to be smug b/c I live in a city that is hovering around 10%. But I am truly grateful for our current employment and guess sucking up crappy weather, be it hot or cold, is better than being unemployed.

Just wondering where info can be found that compares the quality of new construction...being lurred by sun & cheap homes is very much "buyer beware" in SWFL.
Great job with the stats!

Just remember, now, some people are special.

They still have not released Knoxville's numbers. In May it was 8.8. The best we can hope for, up here, is that July's will be better. I'm finally starting to see "Help Wanted" signs.

I wonder how long some of those slapped together homes will last, I really do, especially in that weather.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:07 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,784,554 times
Ahhhhh, I knew I missed CD, and had to come back. Missed the bickering, and people trying to prove how great FL is that are not even here, or ever lived here....LOL. The northeast is WAYYYY better looking than here, unless you like for sale, foreclosure, or yard sale signs. Or if you like low pay, or NO pay(can't say it's only FL with that issue). Maybe it's the relentless heat from April to November. ya, ya, ya.... It's cold up north and it rains/snows... Well guess what, it does here too. Less the snow. Love FL in Jan/Feb, but otherwise Blahhhhh....

Old 07-17-2009, 01:43 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,521,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Great job with the stats!

Just remember, now, some people are special.

They still have not released Knoxville's numbers. In May it was 8.8. The best we can hope for, up here, is that July's will be better. I'm finally starting to see "Help Wanted" signs.

I wonder how long some of those slapped together homes will last, I really do, especially in that weather.
What's the going rate of repairing a home with chinese drywall? And yep, found out the condo we rented in PG has chinese drywall. Our landlord must be a wreck...not only did she lose a crapola amount of $$ (as she begged us to stick it out 3-4 more months so she could get in some snowbirders b/c she was losing so much $$) but now she is stuck with that problem! And she was a decent lady from NJ who always posted the FL temperature on her website everyday along with "Another sunny day in Florida"!...how sweet...wonder how she is doing now....

I remember driving through Deep Creek in Punta Gorda (a rather large and more varied demographic as compared to Punta Gorda Isles & asking the realtor how old some of the homes were b/c they looked 10,15 + ...Her response "2-3yrs old" She also continually would mention if we could go through a private builder, go that route, to avoid the big builders. Then a huge national builder started playing a scheme and her opinon quickly changed as she saw $$ signs. We actually took her advice, found a private builder who was just the greatest guy. Got TONS of info from him. Even considered buying a lot & building. Then, we start to see the sh$t hitting the fan as my husband comes home from work as says "I was told to lay off half my staff today". For this reason & some other, I have a great belief in the Almighty. We'd be stuck in Port Charlotte (where the lot was) in a overpriced home and unemployed! And PC is the last place I'd want to be unemployed. But we so badly wanted a home for our children that we were close to believing what we needed to....

Quickly built & cheaply built. We didn't even go with new construction when we bought up north. Unless we can afford a private builder and be part of the material buying process...no thanks to new construction. We have a large Pulte division by use that always reminds of SWFL: biege, biege, biege and all the same exteriors...blah.

I get sick of the snow just like everyone else, but I've seen the other side & I'll take the snow, thanks!

SWFL International Airport is quite nice as are some hotels in Bonita Springs. A week there in the winter (Feb/Mar in particular) is all we need.

As I've said, cheap doesn't always mean good

Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 PM

I hear both of you.

121804: I feel so badly for your landlord. That is just awful. There are a lot of very nice folks in swFlorida that didn't deserve this. Sure there are jerks, but if nothing else, I think of the kids. My only niece and nephew live there and I am just heartbroken. I don't even want to think about it.

It's funny how you start to miss snow. It took years for me, but I missed it. Now, we have a dusting a couple of times of year. It usually melts in a couple of hours. Just enough. I call it "Winter Lite!"

Yeah, I can definitely believe in the almighty, too, when I think about how we were able to get out of swFlorida. But then I don't believe, because I realize that there are lots of people stuck there, I am not special, and they did not deserve it.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Ahhhhh, I knew I missed CD, and had to come back. Missed the bickering, and people trying to prove how great FL is that are not even here, or ever lived here....LOL. The northeast is WAYYYY better looking than here, unless you like for sale, foreclosure, or yard sale signs. Or if you like low pay, or NO pay(can't say it's only FL with that issue). Maybe it's the relentless heat from April to November. ya, ya, ya.... It's cold up north and it rains/snows... Well guess what, it does here too. Less the snow. Love FL in Jan/Feb, but otherwise Blahhhhh....
I've been on here for almost three years and it seems like there is this endless line of people that have never lived in swFlorida, but know more than the people that have. It never changes.

So...You just might NOT be qualified to live in SW Florida IF.....

You think you really know what it's like to live there, even if you never have.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:18 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,099,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've been on here for almost three years and it seems like there is this endless line of people that have never lived in swFlorida, but know more than the people that have. It never changes.

So...You just might NOT be qualified to live in SW Florida IF.....

You think you really know what it's like to live there, even if you never have.
I kindly disagree with you on this for one reason - The endless line of people don't know more about the area but they do know more about themselves, My experiences have been completely different than many posts I read here, Granted the longest consecutive time I've ever spent in fl was 3 months, but for anybody trying to suggest that I'm going to like or hate something either way is silly. Now for me personally it's not just the weather because Arizona is hot year round also, but I don't see Arizona as offering the things that I like to do when I'm not working. The difference is also that if I lived there I would do exactly the same things that I do when I vacation there, and I can say that because my life is like a permanant vacation. And it's not just a money thing because there were times in my life when I was only making $6 hr and My lifestyle wasn't much different, just the toys that surround it are more expensive. An Rv vs a tent, fishing from the boat as opposed to the shoreline, driving to a trailhead as opposed to biking to it, but I had just as much fun back then. Regardless of where you live,,, LIVE.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Granted the longest consecutive time I've ever spent in fl was 3 months, but for anybody trying to suggest that I'm going to like or hate something either way is silly.
My statement says nothing about liking or hating it. It simply states that you do not know what it is like to live there until you actually do it. Three months is sure better than most people, but you still haven't LIVED there.

Further, how come you don't? You have some investment properties in Cape Coral but you still live in New Hampshire. If it is no different, then why don't you just move down?

This is more so on the big "Florida" forum, but I have seen an endless amount of people that will actually answer posts about weather, how they like living there, etc, and they don't live there yet.

You know what I mean. "How's the weather? Does it get really hot in the summer?" And you get some guy that goes on and on about how it really isn't that bad. The problem is the guy has never lived there. He's one of those people that's been wishing to live there and never has. And the original poster has no idea he's reading a post from someone in New Jersey.

Or the type that thinks that even though the unemployment rate is so high but that they think they will get a job because these people out of work don't REALLY want to find a job.

It's nice to say, hey, I'd work as a store clerk or clean someone's house. Like no one else has ever thought of that or applied for those jobs. Give me a break.

By the way, I didn't really mean you, kev. You don't actually do any of that. And I hope you didn't think I was referring to you.

Also, a couple of years ago a woman from New York said something similar to your statement. No matter where you live, you get up and go to work, go home, help the kids with homework, go to bed, do it all over again. True but not true.

I've done all of that in three different places and the quality of life was vastly different in swFlorida.

And I am the queen of making due. I understand making your own fun. Trust me. But weather, rude people, unemployment, traffic, etc., does affect your life.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:36 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,099,278 times
There are several reasons why I don't live there , one of which is that I am a very established entertainer in Fanuel Hall in Boston and don't feel like starting over in a new place when it's not needed, also my wife does work in the health care field and is very comfortable with her surroundings right now and would only consider a relo for a promotion because her company has an awesome relocation program that financially would be a windfall, most of our family is around the Boston area (for now). And as I have stated previously The whole area is in a transition and is going to have some very unpleasant times ahead, I wouldn 't have invested there if I thought it wasn't going to come out of it for the better, The people that are buying are largely cash buyers or people that can afford to live there, the other group is the first time homebuyers who couldn't or shouldn't have bought the houses during the boom, that now can, short term it's going to be hard, tough times will end and I think the cape will come out stronger than the road it was heading down in 2004, Unfortunatly I don't feel the same about lehigh, just my opinion it's going to be an undesirable area for a very long time.

and I disagree with the lady from new york about waking up go to work etc etc etc That's why I left Mass because I found myself constantly getting into that rutt to me that's not living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area