Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 AM

208 posts, read 614,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
And you filled your children's mind with obvious wonderul values on self-righteousness, arrogance and supremacy.

Curious to know what homeschooling groups promote these values? The best is "...then the North is where you should live" Make sure to get out that Confederate flag!

Of course you homeschooled. Of course you have family in Naples...

I call b.s. on all of it.

Next in line, please.
My children are not self-righteous...they are hard working, individuals that know their rights. They are also compassionate, caring, studious, honorable women. Yes, they were homeschooled. I also graduated with a 4.0 in college. Got my RN and when I had children...oh my gosh...I decided to stay home with them and teach them. How could I think of them first...what was I thinking??? Oh yeah! I was thinking about them first and foremost.

I just do not understand your hatred...can't people enjoy things that you do not? Must we all be little robots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,453,231 times
I have five kids. Four of them went to the school systems in MA and CT. Our fifth, born in Naples, we yanked out of the Lee County schools after five weeks of Kindergarten. We found the school to be subpar, and School Choice to be a joke. We have been happy with the schools in Knox County.

But having said that...

I think we all need to do what is best for our children, and I am sure that Kristin, 121804, Kev and myself are all very good parents. Let's all just agree to that, okay?

Let's all get along.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:05 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,938,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
That is why I called where he was , " a place you call home". Home is where the heart is. It is where you feel comfortable and have fun.

I was in Naples for a several months every year for 10 years. 2 of my children were younger at the time and I homeschooled them. We loved it. Of course my parents lived there and took us everywhere that was wonderful. Boating, beaches, little restaurants, architecture...I fell in love with the place. My grandfather lived in SWF, my parents in SWF, aunt and uncle in SWF. Not one of them HATED it. My Dad called it his paradise.

I know times are tough, but all of you need to step back and start enjoying your life. Life is way too short. Why not start enjoying things with the people that matter the most in your lives.

I am a parent of 4 daughters. So, I qualify in the area of parenthood. My children are responsible, respectful citizens of this country. They have learned to work hard for what they want and not depend on others for anything. If they want it, they earn it. They also have my husband, their father and I as the first and most important people in their lives. My adult children are self-sufficient parents. Yes, I am even a grandmother! My younger daughters are just such a blessing. We decided as parents, to do things that the entire family can do together. We enjoy the time we have. No babysitters ever! If it isn't for kids, we do not go.

I also do not allow teachers, schools or counselors to have an impact on my children. Our values are taught at home. I have no problem confronting another person where my children are concerned. Schools can be awful places for young minds, that do not have support at home. My children are in school now, but will come to us and ask us our opinions on things. I have even went into the schools and had the principal, teachers and even the media, come to meetings when things were just not they way they should be. I have sat in classrooms and watched teachers and students.

The government has no place in raising children or in families lives. If you do not understand that, then the North is where you should live. You can join a nice teachers union and feel as if you are all powerful. You can nudge your way into private lives and feel it is your duty to fill the minds of youth with your values.

Some people are made for SWF. That doesn't mean they are stuck up, selfish or anything else. That is just a nasty statement. There are a lot of wonderful, fun loving people there. I take offense to that statement. My entire family is from SWF and not one of them was ever selfish or stuck up!

If you really hate where you are, move. Move to a place that you will be happy. If it is north, south, east or west...find a place, that when you wake up in the morning, you hit your knees and thank God he gave you another day to enjoy! Remember to thank him for having you born in this great country of ours. You have the opportunity to work hard and do fabulous things.
kristin4.....Will you marry me Just kidding, but every word you just wrote was golden!!
Just for your Information I DO have a daughter, we took her everywhere as a child, including bars/resturants, boats, vacations etc... we didn't take her golfing. (should have, she's an awful golfer) I am a musician, and we took her to many band gigs as a child with no apparent conseqences. Because of the environment we subjected her to, she grew up with knowleage of the adult world as well as with her many friends. I am sooo thankful that she didn't have to deal with a teacher like yourself and your negitive additude which sadly could effect a young persons life forever, your the kind that says "Life is awful, your never going to get ahead, why try!" Sure you'll deny that, but your posts say otherwise!!!!
After High School my daughter graduated from the University of Wisconsin, same as her mom and dad, (Go Badgers!!!) and now she is a producer at the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric, in New York City. She spent this past winter traveling with and reporting on President Obama!! Her long term goal is to be a Whitehouse press reporter, and as how she already has friends in the Whitehouse press , I would say that goal is achievable for her, and she's only 25 years old!!
So I would say my wife and I did an acceptable job of bring up our child and put her in the best possible positions to become succesful dispite her less than stimulating public education!! Thank you very much. Mr.cool

Old 07-22-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
After High School my daughter graduated from the University of Wisconsin, same as her mom and dad, (Go Badgers!!!) and now she is a producer at the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric, in New York City. She spent this past winter traveling with and reporting on President Obama!! Her long term goal is to be a Whitehouse press reporter, and as how she already has friends in the Whitehouse press , I would say that goal is achievable for her, and she's only 25 years old!!
What a wonderful career! You must be very proud and should be! I was a newspaper reporter for about ten years, up north.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:42 PM

812 posts, read 1,682,077 times
Oh by the way.... for people who deem school districts as unacceptable for cosmetic reasons (like their FCAT's) without experience in them I have to say this: Watch the movie October Sky.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
Oh by the way.... for people who deem school districts as unacceptable for cosmetic reasons (like their FCAT's) without experience in them I have to say this: Watch the movie October Sky.
Who mentioned FCATs? We've had our kids in the schools. So did my family. Gosh, my husband is a product of those schools. I'm still working on getting him up to speed!

But who mentioned ratings or FCATs?

And the by the way, they didn't take FCATs in West Virginia.

I don't get it.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Who mentioned FCATs? We've had our kids in the schools. So did my family. Gosh, my husband is a product of those schools. I'm still working on getting him up to speed!

But who mentioned ratings or FCATs?

And the by the way, they didn't take FCATs in West Virginia.

I don't get it.
I don't think you get it because you must be presuming I was taking a shot at you. That's why I put in the thing about not having experience which I know you do. I'm talking about anyone (not you) looking at the school system from a point of view that lacks personal experience. If I was slamming the system, I'd include myself at this point.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I don't think you get it because you must be presuming I was taking a shot at you. That's why I put in the thing about not having experience which I know you do. I'm talking about anyone (not you) looking at the school system from a point of view that lacks personal experience. If I was slamming the system, I'd include myself at this point.
I really didn't think you were taking a shot at me. I'm not really sure who you are referring to.

Honestly, I don't see many people coming on here that ask about the school scores. They ask about housing, prices, jobs, beaches, canals, short sales, Chinese drywall, real estate agents, etc., and then, almost as an afterthought, they ask about schools, and don't seem to know HOW to check them out. It's really pretty sad.

And a lot of times they don't ask anything. They just get on here and tell us how great it is going to be when they move there.

And I don't mean YOU!

And of course, if they are retired, then it really wouldn't matter.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
They just get on here and tell us how great it is going to be when they move there.
I become more and more convinced this is going to be a challenge daily, yet I let the inspection period slide, and to use a poker analogy; we are "pot committed". We are at the turn, and waiting for the flop.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I become more and more convinced this is going to be a challenge daily, yet I let the inspection period slide, and to use a poker analogy; we are "pot committed". We are at the turn, and waiting for the flop.
Got ya. I've been there before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area