Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:07 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,681,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
just a quick check of a nearby school.

Grade 11 - PSSA Results (2008)
About the PSSA
What is it?
The PSSA is an annual test used to measure a student's mastery of the state's grade-level academic standards. The PSSA also evaluated how well school programs enable students to master the standards.
Which grades and subjects?
Students are assessed in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing.
How is it scored?
Students are rated at one of four levels: below basic, basic, proficient and advanced. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

On the 2008 PSSA, 36% of Louis E Dieruff High School Grade 11 students met or exceeded standards in Math. This is lower than the Allentown City School District average of 38%, and lower than the Pennsylvania state average of 56%.
School

36 %
District

38 %
State

56 %

Reading

On the 2008 PSSA, 42% of Louis E Dieruff High School Grade 11 students met or exceeded standards in Reading. This is lower than the Allentown City School District average of 43%, and lower than the Pennsylvania state average of 65%.
School

42 %
District

43 %
State

65 %

Writing

On the 2008 PSSA, 82% of Louis E Dieruff High School Grade 11 students met or exceeded standards in Writing. This is higher than the Allentown City School District average of 76%, and lower than the Pennsylvania state average of 86%.
School

82 %
District

76 %
State

86 %

As you can see, there are issues everywhere, not just Florida schools.
This is one reason I homeschooled my children and the reason why they are now in AP and gifted classes.

I find most public schools are lacking, but then again, the government is running it. Every other job in USA is a merit type job, you do good, you get paid and keep your job. Public schools pay people for not doing the job and you are guaranteed your job. How screwed up is that? What about the children?

I am sure the school choice thing was started for good reasons, but if they can't include good private schools, including cyber, religious etc...in those choices, it is really no choice. It is still the government.
and sent my older daughter to private school for 3 years. Private/parochial does not automatically equal better. Depends where and the individual child. Then you have the factor that at some point it rests solely on the shoulders of the individual child. You can have a very motivated kid at a terrible school excel and an unmotivated kid at a very good school do poorly.

There are a LOT of factors involved. It isn't just any one thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:19 PM

812 posts, read 1,678,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
How is the FCAT cosmetic?
It's a 'number' that takes a snapshot of how certain students did at a particular time. Given the large # of variables involved, it's not perfect. There is NO WAY to 'perfectly' score a school objectively.

The REAL bottom line of my statement is that an education is what ALL the stakeholders put into it, not just what some kids happened to get on a test.

I'll give you an example from long before F-cats.

I was taking a history class in 8th grade as a transfer student. I missed all the material for the first 1/2 of the year, but was still obligated to take the comprehensive final. As I took the timed test desperately trying to do my best, I got through the 1st 50 questions with about 5 minutes to go. I "Christmas tree'd" the last 50 questions. I failed that test, but guess what? I got 23 correct on the front 1/2 and 30 correct on the back 1/2 that I shotgunned. Now can you imagine if I would have known the front 1/2 better and passed based on my randomly filling out the answers?

Anyway, back to my bottom line. All stakeholders have to play their part and for the parents and students, you got to be willing to do more.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:20 PM

208 posts, read 613,128 times
Quote:
Depends where and the individual child. Then you have the factor that at some point it rests solely on the shoulders of the individual child. You can have a very motivated kid at a terrible school excel and an unmotivated kid at a very good school do poorly.

There are a LOT of factors involved. It isn't just any one thing.
I agree with these statements. Totally true.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:25 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,523,565 times
Quote:
just a quick check of a nearby school.

Grade 11 - PSSA Results (2008)
About the PSSA
What is it?
The PSSA is an annual test used to measure a student's mastery of the state's grade-level academic standards. The PSSA also evaluated how well school programs enable students to master the standards.
Which grades and subjects?
Students are assessed in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing.
How is it scored?
Students are rated at one of four levels: below basic, basic, proficient and advanced. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

On the 2008 PSSA, 36% of Louis E Dieruff High School Grade 11 students met or exceeded standards in Math. This is lower than the Allentown City School District average of 38%, and lower than the Pennsylvania state average of 56%.
School

36 %
District

38 %
State

56 %

Reading

On the 2008 PSSA, 42% of Louis E Dieruff High School Grade 11 students met or exceeded standards in Reading. This is lower than the Allentown City School District average of 43%, and lower than the Pennsylvania state average of 65%.
School

42 %
District

43 %
State

65 %

Writing

On the 2008 PSSA, 82% of Louis E Dieruff High School Grade 11 students met or exceeded standards in Writing. This is higher than the Allentown City School District average of 76%, and lower than the Pennsylvania state average of 86%.
School

82 %
District

76 %
State

86 %

As you can see, there are issues everywhere, not just Florida schools.
This is one reason I homeschooled my children and the reason why they are now in AP and gifted classes.

I find most public schools are lacking, but then again, the government is running it. Every other job in USA is a merit type job, you do good, you get paid and keep your job. Public schools pay people for not doing the job and you are guaranteed your job. How screwed up is that? What about the children?

I am sure the school choice thing was started for good reasons, but if they can't include good private schools, including cyber, religious etc...in those choices, it is really no choice. It is still the government.
Yes, we are all saying it is everywhere...but, again, it's a SWFL forum, so it makes sense to discuss the schools in SWFL & not, let's say, Park City, Utah. And I will not compare b/c while the tests are standardized, every state has a different test, so it's not a uniform system. High test scores in one city do not nessarily mean the schools are far better than an area with lower scores. But a pattern of low performance or high performance does say something about the area.

And while it is easy to sit and blame the teachers and administration for the problems, those who have never taught (sitting in a classroom for a day or two to observe isn't the same thing...that's like my husband on the weekends saying he understands what it is like to be a SAHM...)...what about the parents who just don't give a darn? What about the students who are verbally and physically abusive? If a chair thrown at you by a student or students tell you to "shut the F up"...it's all teachers & admin? Or parents who come to school and are intoxicated and try to pick up their children and fall down the steps and pass out? Teachers are not taking the tests, the students are, so in the end, who's to blame? A teacher cannot force a student to learn or care. A teacher cannot force a parent to spend time with their children doing remedial work or basic manners and hygiene. And if for one moment a person does not think these things effect education...

If the parents don't give a darn or are very antiauthoritative, their children face an extreme uphill battle that even the best teacher may not be able to help. Students who come to school from abusive homes; students who live on Cheetos and Pepsi and are in 3rd grade...I've seen many a teacher in tears at the end of the day. Not b/c of "bad" students,but b/c of what their students go home to every night.

There are severe problems in this country's public education system but to blame it all on teachers & admin is not fair nor is it right. Everyone needs to take the blame, that includes parents, teachers, admin and students. I'm both (teacher & parent) & believe that it all starts at home. I spent 3 1/2 months researching preschools to be laughed at when speaking about it at a neighborhood picnic..."You did what? It's only preschool! Just send him to the one down the street. It's quick & cheap.". That mentality is what fills our public schools.

Not everyone can homeschool, be it jobs (dual working parents) or ability, and trust the school to educate their child. I am very interested in homeschooling and my best friend has been doing it for several years but I do not believe it is fair to say that anyone can homeschool if they want. That just cannot be for some people. But there are factors FAR beyond test scores that determine an education and effect it both inside and outside the classroom.

SWFL does not have a good history of providing quality education for many reasons. One of the biggest problems has been the incredible midyear moves of students, both into and out of the area due to the economy over the past few years. Another is RFI practices (reduction in force that occurs after contracts) and hiring freezes that have all but hampered consistency.

Lee County school choice was started for a publicity move and it has only segregated the system that much more.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:34 PM

208 posts, read 613,128 times
LOL! I will have to say...I agree with you too!! I surprise myself sometimes!

I do not think testing is the way to decide if a school is good or not.
Children are all different. I have 4 and not one of them learn the same. One needs to hear it, one needs to read it, one is even a hands on type. Testing is one way that excludes a very intelligent portion of the student body.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,364,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

Lee County school choice was started for a publicity move and it has only segregated the system that much more.
This is off the top of my head, but I am fairly sure that School Choice was court-ordered. It ran out several years ago, but the schools have continued the practice. I think it was 2002 or 2003 that they were no longer on court order.

Like I said. The FCATs tell the tale to a certain degree.

When Lauren went to Rayma C. Page, it was a brand new school, just opened up. The first day of school, one of the kids had to go to the principal's office. This is Kindergarten.

Half the kids in the class were Spanish. They couldn't speak English. Bless their little hearts. They looked eager to learn but the teacher couldn't speak Spanish! How fair is that to them?

In five weeks, my daughter did not bring home one paper that was completed in class. Instead, she brought home ALL her papers to do as homework.

The poor teacher was stuck with a class where she couldn't communicate with half the kids and she had a couple of kids that were severe disciplinary problems.

The school is in south Fort Myers, near Island Park. Nice area, very bad school. And it was not our choice. They put her in it, even though we applied the first day that School Choice picks were opened.

After dealing with the rude people for ten years, this was just the icing on the cake. The FCATS are now bearing out the quality of that school.

Up here, kids are taught manners and as you can see from the test scores, the schools are much better. And I PURPOSELY bought a house right next to one of the best elementary schools in the system. It took me THREE YEARS to find the perfect house.

When you have kids, moving is very serious business.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,364,007 times
Quote:
LOL! I will have to say...I agree with you too!! I surprise myself sometimes!

I do not think testing is the way to decide if a school is good or not.
Children are all different. I have 4 and not one of them learn the same. One needs to hear it, one needs to read it, one is even a hands on type. Testing is one way that excludes a very intelligent portion of the student body.
I agree with this. Kids have different learning styles, but if you read my post above, you can see why I moved. Our daughter was our first priority.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:30 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,523,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
When you have kids, moving is very serious business.
And when we finally got to SWFL, it was after years of moving around (b/c of the military & we were SO excited to possible settle down) & when I started to research the schools, all other little things started to poke their heads out...it's amazing what comes out of the woodwork when you start to question the question [No, we did not have time to research SWFL. That's a whole other story.]

Do I sit around moping and thinking life is a bowl of dogfood that has been handed to me? No.

But when children come into the equation and when so many other factors are put before their basic needs (not on purpose), I start to get way over zealous.

And for those who felt it necessary to say I am a horrible teacher based on my posts...this board has always been an excellent venting ground for me. The welfare of my students was first and foremost when I taught & giving them the ability to feel confident and believe in themselves meant FAR more to me than any test. I've been on the internet so much the past few days b/c I am working on a thesis, am very overtired and a little burned out, and procrastinating like the best of them.

There are very large pockets of SWFL that are not welcoming to young families in many ways. There are other areas that are much more condusive, particulary outside the region.

The point is NOT that some area is better than another.

The point is that there are very real and very concerning problems in the area that specifically impact families with school age children.

I am not saying that if your child attends a SWFL school they are bound for utter failure. But, more than likely, you will face issues in SWFL that are not the norm in many other parts of this country due to the demographics and professional makeup of SWFL. To cover it up with walks on the beach and fishing doesn't work b/c like paint on a house, that starts to fade.

My family and I are at a point in our lives where education and the welfare of our children is top priority. And they are young children, not teenagers. So, boating, going bar hopping, and golfing don't factor into being of extreme importance, if any. We hope to brace some college loans for our children, so there goes extra money.

And retirees no longer need to worry about quality of schools or city programs that are offered for children. Many cities offer free or very cheap summer programs in math, science and the arts. That's not having the city babysit your child; it's giving your child the opportunity to learn, explore and discover.

Last edited by 121804; 07-22-2009 at 03:42 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 03:34 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,934,652 times
But like 121804 said, "This is a SW Florida forum" All this discussion has shown it's not just SW Florida schools, it's everywhere in the US! Look at the bright side you could live in South Carolina, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, East St. Louis, Brookyn all horrible school districts!!! If you are a good parent and teach your children well (Crosby Stills & Nash) they will be successful no matter what school they go to. If not, then you will reap what you sow.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:36 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Yes I'm am here on vacation, but my life in new england isn't any different, and no I am not a factory worker at this time, No I don't require a lot of sleep ( I can rest as much as I want when I'm dead) . I don't take my kids out bar hopping but my son likes to wack the hell out of a golf ball on the driving range (I'm not into golfing) And although 12084 and I have not agreed on this thread I have read a lot of her posts on SAHM and share a lot of her views on that subject. The reason why I'm on this forum during vacation is because you guys are just so damn interesting I can't help checking out what going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area