Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 06:51 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,105,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
A course (usually taught in 6th grade) on run-on sentences would be of great benefit to you.

You just don't get it.

Home construction does not bring stability to the area.

Investors are the main reason for the current mess in SWFL.

After the grammar lesson, take some time to read past articles on SWFL. Maybe learn why & how it got to the place that it is today.

As for the sexual predators, it's no joke and jvelte is sensible enough to know how to be aware.

Then, after the grammar lesson & history lesson, take some time to read up on the economics of a city such as FM & CC and the unique challenges that businesses deal with in that part of the country.

Hard to afford a house when you don't have a JOB to pay for the mortgage, utilities, taxes, upkeep, food, etc. Hard to find a job when companies do not move to the area but rather leave the area due to the challenges SWFL faces that go beyond sexual predators and overabundance of empty homes.

Maybe learn about the true cost of home ownership & employment when you are researching economics.
Sorry for the poor grammar, I know that can be offensive for some. I didn't do well in that subject, I didn't see a way to make a living off of it. But it's too bad I didn't get your advice on researching economics before because maybe then I wouldn't have to work the grueling 8 hours a week I do now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:17 PM

208 posts, read 613,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
A course (usually taught in 6th grade) on run-on sentences would be of great benefit to you.

You just don't get it.

Home construction does not bring stability to the area.

Investors are the main reason for the current mess in SWFL.

After the grammar lesson, take some time to read past articles on SWFL. Maybe learn why & how it got to the place that it is today.

As for the sexual predators, it's no joke and jvelte is sensible enough to know how to be aware.

Then, after the grammar lesson & history lesson, take some time to read up on the economics of a city such as FM & CC and the unique challenges that businesses deal with in that part of the country.

Hard to afford a house when you don't have a JOB to pay for the mortgage, utilities, taxes, upkeep, food, etc. Hard to find a job when companies do not move to the area but rather leave the area due to the challenges SWFL faces that go beyond sexual predators and overabundance of empty homes.

Maybe learn about the true cost of home ownership & employment when you are researching economics.
Dang, that was harsh! Why so mean?

Some people are math geniuses, or science whiz, some are even history buffs. Not everyone is grammatically gifted. This does not make them stupid.

You should never speak down to other people.

My Father couldn't spell at all, but started a company and turned it into a multimillion dollar company with hard work and dedication. He could build his own circuit boards (this was before they were mass produced), but couldn't even spell the word "circuit".

We all have our gifts in life.

Some people dwell on everything negative, others think about how to change negative things to positive ones.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 PM

Thanks for sticking up for me I have been crying helplessly in a corner in the fetal position all night. And I agree everyone has their own special gifts. She has a teachers license so I should have expected I would be graded.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,748,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Thanks for sticking up for me I have been crying helplessly in a corner in the fetal position all night. .
Now there's a visual I could have done without.....

Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 PM

208 posts, read 613,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Thanks for sticking up for me I have been crying helplessly in a corner in the fetal position all night. And I agree everyone has their own special gifts. She has a teachers license so I should have expected I would be graded.
That made me laugh really hard. Thanks!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,407,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post

His take on the current state of affairs is that after talking with others he knows,(realtors, rental agencies, title companies, some of the largest builders in the area) and analyzing the trends, the area is losing "households", and will likely continue to do so. The homes being rented are being rented to people that have just been foreclosed on several blocks away, and typically do not complete the first years lease period. OR rented to people coming here, for cheap housing, and find they cannot find employment, and do not complete the first years lease period. The tenants are using the current situation, gaming it, as it were, as a merry go round of moving from one place, going behind on rent, and moving to the next, because landlords are desperate to lease the property to someone with a pulse. The rental figures are a sham, and theyre being used to lure buyers to invest. The numbers of vacant units available, by some of the larger "investors", and property management outfits that have been here for years, extends into the hundreds.......
I had a very bad feeling that was what was going to happen.

Southwest Florida needs to get retirees in and fast. It's the only thing that will keep it somewhat afloat. But so, so many retirees saw their money dry up.

It wouldn't hurt if they knocked down the CDW homes, too. Not one bit.

Why are we not reading and hearing more about this? Are there less CDW homes than I was thinking?

Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I had a very bad feeling that was what was going to happen.

Southwest Florida needs to get retirees in and fast. It's the only thing that will keep it somewhat afloat. But so, so many retirees saw their money dry up.

Why are we not reading and hearing more about this? Are there less CDW homes than I was thinking?
they are out there, I have a neighbor on my right that doesn't have it but he was telling me that 2houses down the renters were given a notice by their landlord that it was in their home and the landlord told them that it was advisable for them to leave and if they decided to stay was at their own risk... they have all had the sympton of chronic coughs (even their dog) but so far they've stayed.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,748,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Excellent Idea, Hik!

I agree. Actually, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this as an alternative fix for the "remediation" problem...

There certainly has to be an ample number of vacant, foreclosed homes, built in the same general time frame as those with CDW, that do not have the CDW issue. Wouldnt it be cheaper in the long run, to simply give an affected family the option of swapping into one of those "clean" homes, and simply plow the bad one under?

Seems it would be a win win. You automatically decrease the housing surplus by two units per family, and save the health of the innocents that stumbled into the mess through no fault of their own, as well as remove the problem for future buyers. Not to mention the costs of medical expenses, and future litigation against mortgage companies, builders, suppliers, etc.

Of course this is something that may be too far into the realm of basic "common sense" so it likely wouldnt happen........There's no angle to work, therefore, no money to be made, so nobody will go for it.........

Old 07-21-2009, 07:21 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,407,809 times
Quote:
Of course this is something that may be too far into the realm of basic "common sense" so it likely wouldnt happen........There's no angle to work, therefore, no money to be made, so nobody will go for it.........
Bingo.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:40 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,936,346 times
Quote:
In the end, it is all related to employment..Either you need to work for a living, or you DO NOT.
My favorite restaraunts are those that I can get in and out of quickly, so I can get to work.
Dont have time to fish, I have to work
I had a boat, once. But since I work on boats, the last thing I want to do is come home, and work on my own boat. I find antique trucks, and a shady work area much more enjoyable.
Dont have time to devote to groups, I work.
Dont travel around the state much, I work. When I have the $$, I generally dont have time. When I have time, I generally dont have the $$. That's the cyclical nature of work/cash flow in SW Florida, catering to tourists, during "season".
Of the places I've been in this state, farther north(panhandle area) and the Keys are places I find enjoyable. The Keys in particular have the gorgeous blue green water, and a small town feel mixed with a touristy vibe that make it a real relaxing getaway. The water around SW Florida is brown and grungy in comparison. The gulf stream doesnt flush the crap out of the area like it does on the east coast and thru the Keys. Couple that with the downstream flow from the Caloosahatchee out of Lake Okeechobee and the water is actually quite nasty here. The beaches are typically fouled with some form of a) fecal bacteria, b) red tide, c) red algae, that is harmless, but stinks like hell, and piles up on the beach, so you have to walk thru it to get to the water's edge.
All in all, your post is the perfect example of what we have been saying all along. If you are independantly wealthy, or otherwise, dont need to work for a living, (outside of healthcare)this can be paradise. Otherwise, beware.
Geez...see? I TRY to be nice and ask people's opinions, and I get complainers. You can't tell me you do nothing but work! I work 6 and a half days a week and still have time to boat! I MAKE time to have some fun! Weekend nights we like to go out and hear local music! There must be SOME of that down there! We love the Keys too! We've been there FIVE TIMES!!! And we live a LOT further away than you do!! We are NOT independantly wealthy, I would tell you what mrs.cool makes per hour, but she'd kill me it's so embarassing. If you want to have a good time, you'll make the time.
Why would you move to SW Fl which has world class fishing, some of the world's top beaches, and not go to the beach, boat, or fish???
And whoever made the remark about how things are rosy while the real estate agent is there, and then what do you do when the AC breaks?? Well, I guess you'd fix it. But if you can't afford to, I guess you'll have to be hot. Whoopee. How about being in Wisconsin and the FURNACE dies on a weekend night when it's 20 below? I'll tell you what happens THEN if you can't afford to fix it. Your pipes freeze and burst and you freeze to death. Hmmm....I'll take the broken AC. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area