Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:01 PM
BWV BWV started this thread

9 posts, read 29,207 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've been lurking and reading posts here for about a week now and I've learned so much, so thank you!

We're tossing around the idea of relocating to Fort Worth from Hartford CT, so I have lots of questions. My husband would most likely work near the AFB and we've never been big on commuting, so we'd be looking for an area within maybe a 20-25 minute drive. We're also an inter-racial family (Asian and white), so racial and ethnic diversity is important to us as we raise our 3 year old son. And since we have a 3 year old, a safe and friendly neighborhood is important, as well as decent schools. Any suggestions? I seem to keep coming up with Saginaw, but I'd like some suggestions. I'd love to come in under $200k, and since there are only three of us (and a dog), we don't need a gigundo home (not to mention, everything I'm seeing looks really big compared to our house here in CT anyway).

Are the master-planned communities predominantly white? Or is there a bit of diversity? I'm intrigued by the convenience of them (or at least they look convenient!)

Additionally, we are a little outdoorsy and like camping and hiking, will we be able to get outside in the area? Are there areas that allow for biking to a local store or restaurant? I keep reading about green belts and biking and walking paths, are they as nice as I'm picturing? (we've also lived in Minneapolis and I'm featuring the paved trails around the many city lakes...in case anyone has been there or knows that type of trail).

I felt like I had a lot more questions to pose once I finally got around to registering here, but now I'm blanking...I'll post again if I remember!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 01:03 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
I'm assuming you're talking about the Naval Air Station, which used to be Carswell AFB (which is on the West side of FW). First, the Asian/White thing - you should have no problem at all. My wife is Japanese and I'm white and we've had absolutely no problems in the 20 years we've lived here. There are mixed couples all over.

As far as housing goes, the Saginaw area would be a good choice. You do want to stay away from the White Settlement area, which is close to the NAS - it's just not a safe area. If you prefer to live South of the NAS, you might look at the Ridglea area and areas near TCU.

Someone that lives in Saginaw and those areas would better be able to help you with more specifics. As far as price goes, you should do fine on 200K.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2007, 01:29 PM

Thanks Synopsis! Yes, you're right, I mean the NAS.

Thanks for your feedback. And thanks for your photos on other various threads - they're great and really help someone like me get a feel for what the area looks like aside from the standard photos on all of the real estate and city web sites. I've been to Dallas several times on business (and I think Fort Worth to a massive cowboy bar that a friend took us to for mechanical bull riding!), but never really paid attention in the way that I would for relocating.

Cheers!

Old 06-25-2007, 01:33 PM

58 posts, read 241,784 times
My wife is half-Thai (her father and mother met in Vietnam & settled here when he was stationed at Carswell), so we get around in the Asian community quite a lot. Haltom City has a large group of Asian restaurants and markets that isn't too far of a drive from the NAS (inside FW city limits).

Many NAS families live in Benbrook, which is just to the south of FW. The drive to the base would be about 10 to 15 minutes. Benbrook is extremely affordable (especially compared to CT). It is small, but just outside of (really, connected to) FW, with easy access to the city. It has a large lake (reservoir) with all kinds of public recreational areas around it. Downsides to the 'Brook would be that it isn't all that diverse--mostly white--and the local stores are pretty limited. I think the lake & surrounding areas are quite nice, though.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:42 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV View Post

Thanks for your feedback. And thanks for your photos on other various threads - they're great and really help someone like me get a feel for what the area looks like aside from the standard photos on all of the real estate and city web sites. I've been to Dallas several times on business (and I think Fort Worth to a massive cowboy bar that a friend took us to for mechanical bull riding!), but never really paid attention in the way that I would for relocating.

Cheers!
Glad to help. I'm also happy that you enjoyed the photos!

Here are some links to photos you may or may not have already seen of my area, which is in the mid-cities (about 15-20 miles east of Saginaw).

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...ux-4-11-a.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...rst-texas.html

Old 06-25-2007, 04:29 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,923,634 times
Quote:

Cheers!
Sounds like you were at Billy Bob's! Good luck with your relocation to FW if you go for it. I'm also originally from the northeast. I lived my entire life in NJ (although I did spend 1 summer in Danbury, CT) until I moved to FW last May. There are pros and cons to moving here, but I appreciate the new experiences I'm receiving that I couldn't get in NJ. Not to mention my brand hew house would've cost me at least twice as much in NJ.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:19 PM

103 posts, read 676,353 times
I think you will LOVE Fort Worth, if you decide to move here (and come visit first, of course).

Now...

Besides Saginaw...a good place to check out is Fort Worth near Eagle Mountain Lake...we just had a house built in that area, and it is gorgeous (both the house, and the area)! We are off of Boat Club Road near Boaz, Cromwell Marine Creek, Bailey Boswell. Also, there are some beautiful homes in Fort Worth near Marine Creek Lake (near North Loop 820). These areas are probably 15 mins away from the NAS.

As far as the interracial aspect? ... I think interracial marriages/couples are pretty common. I don't even think people notice something like that today.

Good luck in your search and in your decision!

Old 06-25-2007, 11:54 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,427,044 times
Saginaw is a great little town and definately within the commute you are looking for. Are you planning a visit? You will definately find a number of options at or under 200K here and with new construction.

We have a 3 yr old as well. We currently have her in swim lessons over in Keller, ballet at the local school on Main Street and she goes to a great preschool a couple of days a week.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 AM

Thanks so much everyone!

Beowulf - I googled Billy Bob's...that's not it...that's even bigger than the place we went! Holy cow, and I thought the place we went was huge. I'd love to hear more of your insights as a "Yankee" who relocated. Between DH and myself we've lived in CA, AZ, MN, Chicago, and here in CT...so I guess I don't consider us true New Englanders, or true anything for that matter...but the majority of our adult lives have been spent in Minneapolis and here (and we're more than ready to get away from the snow and high COL).

Artcgal - your suggestions really help me to understand the scale of the area and the commute. When we relo-ed from Minneapolis to here it was a big paradigm shift - here you drive 30-45 minutes in just about any direction and you're in the next state, so things that seemed far away on a map were actually super close...so in looking at TX I think I assumes the opposite!

I really need to get out there and check out your area! Of course, I'm putting my cart waaaay before my horse - we'd need to actually apply for a job out there first, LOL!

Oh, and another question - kind of stupid, but...do they crank the air conditioning in public places there? I'm one of these people who is *always* cold - I could see finally moving somewhere nice and warm and then being cold all the time!

Oh, and another one - we tend toward "greenish" living and have smaller, fuel efficient cars...will we be viewed as whack-os if we don't have a truck? Not that I'd care too much what others are thinking about us, just wondering.

Thanks again, everyone! You are all a big help!

Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,427,044 times
Quote:
Oh, and another one - we tend toward "greenish" living and have smaller, fuel efficient cars...will we be viewed as whack-os if we don't have a truck? Not that I'd care too much what others are thinking about us, just wondering.
No you won't be a wacko, but you may feel a little small feeling. There are people here with Prius and everything. I do see more trucks and SUVs. We have a car and our next vehicle will be an SUV. From my perspective, I see a lot more families with more kids. And they drive a lot faster here for my liking, but been there said that on different posts .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth