Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:12 PM

65 posts, read 234,144 times

Advertisements

Also... since I have a couple Jersey folk in this thread, can't help but ask...

What kind of stuff do you miss from New Jersey? The only thing I can think of that I'll really miss is taylor ham. It's pathetic I know, but I really do love the stuff! A friend of mine moved to Austin a couple years ago and he said he found a web site (njporkroll.com) that you can order it from though... so I can still treat myself once in a while *laugh*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 09:06 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,920,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisco750 View Post
Haha... yeah, the snow here was ridiculous.. I'm in the northwestern part of the state (about 20 miles east of the Delaware Water Gap) and we got about 9 inches of snow. Luckily I'm able to work from home in those conditions... but a lot of people had to deal with that mess on the way to work! Ick

Is the traffic really THAT bad?? On the map it's only about 12 miles to work door-to-door. I'll be working right across the street from the new stadium. I thought traffic here in NY/NJ area was only rivaled by Los Angeles! My current commute to work is about 25 miles (to Parsippany if you're familiar with it) and it takes me a little over an hour when school's in session. I have heard about traffic in DFW, but I just assumed there was no way it could be as bad as here!

I'll definitely check out Sundance Square! What is it like? Is there anything in the area that compares to 6th Street in Austin? I absolutely loved that! Live music and gorgeous women everywhere... could walk between bars... had a blast down there!
Yes, I'm very familiar w/ Parsippany. I was raised there and my folks still live there.

Traffic is not as bad as what we're used to in NJ. But the north and east part of Tarrant county can be bad, esp. Loop 820 going into Rt. 183 toward DFW Airport. I had to go to north Dallas one week. From NW FW, it took me 1.5 hrs. to drive about 45 mi. I felt like I was in NJ again.

Sundance Square is not as big, lively, or wild as 6th St. in Austin. Not even close. But it's got bars, a couple clubs, many restaurants, and a few other nighttime entertainment venues. It's all within a walking distance, and unlike Austin's 6th St., parking is plentiful and mostly free.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specific info.

Quote:
Also... since I have a couple Jersey folk in this thread, can't help but ask...

What kind of stuff do you miss from New Jersey? The only thing I can think of that I'll really miss is taylor ham. It's pathetic I know, but I really do love the stuff! A friend of mine moved to Austin a couple years ago and he said he found a web site (njporkroll.com) that you can order it from though... so I can still treat myself once in a while *laugh*.
Besides family and friends, the tangible things I miss most from NJ is the Jersey Shore and pizza. Pizza here is not as good. I'm not talking about Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc. cr@p. I'm talking about those local mom and pop pizzerias in NJ. The ones here are nowhere the same. Re: Jersey Shore, there are no beaches within a reasonable driving distance from N. TX. Trade-offs are a part of life. : \

Old 03-09-2008, 06:58 AM

Well, the move approaches! I'll be leaving NJ on the 17th and plan on arriving in NRH on the 19th.

Anyone else have any input? My father will be taking the trip with me to keep me company on the long drive, so I'd like to be able to take him out to some nice places while he's there. It will be his first time in Texas.

Also... on a completely unrelated note, I came up with a question when getting my utilities settled. Who would be the cable & internet providers for The Venue at Hometown in NRH ? The lady I spoke with on the phone told me that AT&T does both cable & internet there, but I've never heard of AT&T providing cable?? I tried researching on the 'net and all I could find was Dish Network provided by AT&T or AT&T U-Verse... but when I called I was informed that U-Verse was not available in that area. I prefer cable internet to DSL, so hopefully there are other options. I realize it's probably a specific question, but if anyone should happen to know anything, I'd appreciate it!

I chose Gexa as my electric provider as they had the cheapest rate in the area. Anyone know anything about them?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:09 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,444 times
Uverse is AT&T's fiber optic internet and TV. It's not satellite, yet it's not quite classified as cable either. (Charter has the monopoly on cable here)

Uverse is expanding somewhat quickly, so it may be available there soon if it's not already. I'm not all that far from there and we have it and love it.

What sorts of places do you want to take your dad to see? Out to eat, tourist things or what?

Old 03-09-2008, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the cable. I'd assume U-Verse is available if Charter is the cable company. She was pretty sure that AT&T provided the cable and internet to the apartments.

As for what to do... good eatin' would be good. Probably a good tex-mex joint? I'm sure he'll want to try it out. He's a musician so if there's anything touristy like that in the area that would be perfect. (I.e. if it were Austin i'd take him to Stevie Ray's memorial)

Old 03-09-2008, 05:55 PM

AT&T U-Verse is similar to Verizon's FiOS in terms of technology (and probably pricing). However, I don't think there are any markets in the D/FW area that offer both services. Many neighborhoods don't offer either yet (like mine). But eventually, I'd think U-Verse or FiOS will be available. Good luck w/ your move.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:53 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,444 times
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the cable. I'd assume U-Verse is available if Charter is the cable company. She was pretty sure that AT&T provided the cable and internet to the apartments.

As for what to do... good eatin' would be good. Probably a good tex-mex joint? I'm sure he'll want to try it out. He's a musician so if there's anything touristy like that in the area that would be perfect. (I.e. if it were Austin i'd take him to Stevie Ray's memorial)
Well, Charter is available as the cable company in certain areas and it's not connected to AT&T at all. AT&T delivers UVerse through the phone lines via fiber optics, so it's not truly cable, though it really works just like it. Even though Charter has the monopoly on cable in NRH, UVerse can be offered because it's not actually defined as cable. So you may actually have two choices, if UVerse is available.

Tex Mex is quite variable in who thinks which one is the best. haha Our favorite at the moment is On the Border which is right off Central Drive and 183 in Bedford. Others swear by Don Pablos, and I don't care for it at all. There is a place on Denton Hwy that many love called Oscar's, but I've never actually been there. Joe T Garcias close to downtown Fort Worth is the top spot to take tourists, but mainly because of the atmosphere.

There's Billy Bob's Honky Tonk and Johnnie High's Country Music Revue if he likes country. Those are the biggest tourist things that come to mind.

Oh and I am the one who mentioned Seekers Coffee House which is now open. They are having live music Friday and Saturday nights with all sorts of small bands. It's on Precinct Line Road at Harwood.

Welcome and have fun with dad!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:04 PM

I'm not familiar w/ Gexa (your electric provider). TXU is the biggest in this area. I went w/ Spark Energy since they're the cheapest for me (or at least was the cheapest when I looked into it last spring).

Old 03-10-2008, 05:06 AM

Thanks again for the info guys - you rock!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:59 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
I live about 1 block from the Venue at Hometown. There is A LOT to do there. You can walk to any one of a dozen restaurants within 5 minutes. There's a Signature Kroger right next door, which is where I do most of my shopping. You have the ice rink just behind you where the FW Brahmas play hockey. NRH20 (waterpark) is right next door as well. Tarrant County Junior College is right across the street, and a lot more.

Getting to Arlington is really easy. DM me and I'll tell you about a shortcut. It's a great area your moving to, but I'm sure it's different than NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth