Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times

Advertisements

have you not heard the expression "wage slave"

just because someone is desperate for a job and willing to do whatever it takes does not mean that should be used against him or her...and I know a lot about hard work--I was a teacher

there are plenty of people that work much harder in this country than many people making much more money than they do--often at the same company--
I have a very difficult time believeing that someone like Ken Lewis CEO of Bank of American is worth all the multi-millions of dollars that he and most of his high-level staff have been paid over the past 3-5 years when you consider how he/they have ruined that company---and I don't own the stock so this is not a personal ax to grind--I even bank with BoA--but probably not for much longer--

they--(plus Goldman Sachs, AIG, CountryWide, GM et al)-- have put at risk the jobs of everyone below them with far less in financial reserves in their hell-bent drive to enrich themselves...and they have ruined the stockholders since they are diluting the value of the company in leaps and bounds--

some people want to believe that BoA can rise from the ashes and be even more successful after eating all this debt/debacle from the credit default swaps but the Congress is going to pass legislation to curb interest rates, housing is still soft because of job layoffs and sour economy, consumer spending is taking a dive and will stay down for the next couple of years (which it should really), so the money streams that drove BoA and other banks to have such great profits are being taken away...

most companies with the collusion of the Republican party and a president that was totally out to lunch in its years in power from Regan, and both Bushs have been on a determined effort to do away with unions/collective bargaining and giving people a decent pay scale...
profits have gone to higher level employees often in obscene amounts and to enrich the company itself--i.e. excessive/lavish spending sprees for building more lux office space, buying company planes, lavish parties and lobbying to keep govt out of their way

some aspects of this country has glutted themselves over the past 15 years on cheap labor (often off-shore), lobbying to preserve corporate vs employee/consumer good by reducing adequate oversight on almost all areas of govt supervision under the mantra that less oversight means better business, and raising the entitlement to riches for corporate executives...
this attitude brought us Enron, the credit default swaps recession/depression, food/health/safety crisis because of lack of oversight and lack of desire to put good of individual over that of corporate profit...FDA, FED, Fannie Mae, OSHA, USDA are all danger zones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 06:25 PM

426 posts, read 1,087,767 times
You think DFW area pays little to teachers? Look at the pathetic state I live in, New Mexico!

EVERYONE out of college starts at $30,000 a year, and languishes at that amount for 3 years minimum. And when I say everyone, I mean everyone. You could graduate with a Masters degree, or Ph.D in education, and those extra years of school will earn you a whole 1 or 5 dollars more per year. New Mexico counts only so much previous experience, particularly if it's out of state. And as for your raise? You only get one at year 4, 8, and 12 or something like that.... Sure, if you get an MA before 4 years, you get a $10,000 raise, taking you up to $40,000. But unless you get Ph.D, years later, you're still languishing with pathetic pay. And NM is NOT cheap. It's the same as everywhere else.

And don't think the schools have money there.... All students are required to supply their own kleenex, hand sanitizer, soap, toilet paper, writing paper, drawing paper, pencils, crayons, erasers and pencils..... Now, I can understand supplying your own consumable materials, but KLEENEX AND SOAP? And teachers get a whole 40 bucks of compensation per school year for purchases they make for their classrooms. This is vomit inducing for me.....

So, someone coming out of college and earning $45,000 to start is good. Getting a Masters and jumping up to near $50,000, and over $50,000 a couple of years later is nothing to laugh at. Maybe to someone used to making close to $100,000 a year, that 45 to 50 grand is a pittance.... but then, if you're making that kind of money, why would you leave?

As for not earning enough to support your life..... that is all up to you. In another post, kids, a house, and car were mentioned as part of "life happening"..... Kids, homes, and cars are choices. Yes, even kids are a choice. And I'm NOT speaking in terms of pro-life vs. pro-choice.... What I mean is, kids are expensive. Kids are the number one reason why people need a bigger house or car. Kids can be prevented. There are many types of contraceptives available to prevent pregnancy. Single use, long term, and permanent. And if the kids are already here..... well, they don't need to be showered in luxury like a 4 or 5 bedroom/2 or 3 bathroom house, and a SUV to take them to and from school. As for a house or car..... well homes are cheap in Texas. Cars are a necessity, but some are a luxury.

It's just my husband and I. We don't need a big car. I don't need a new car every few years. We won't need to rent a big house or apartment. And BUYING a home is something I have no desire to do. Not until well after our student loans are repaid. Maybe in about 15 years, if I stay in Tx that long.

I'm a native California living in New Mexico. I'd love to move back to CA after graduation, but everyone I know back home who works in education has been laid off. I will be graduating as a elementary and SPECIAL ED teacher, and even I don't think I have a shot over there.

Texas wasn't my first choice, but I like Dallas. After living in Albuquerque, it's a refreshing change and a nice big city, like what I was used to for the 24 years I lived in CA (I'm from LA).

Old 05-30-2009, 06:59 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,988,749 times
Typical Texans....under paid themselves, they just can't stand it when someone supports higher pay for the little guy.( 40K? Wow that's alot to me! I would just love that! Who are you to complain? You should thank employers for just having the mercy to hire you!)

Of course we don't have unions here. High rates of union participation would be an indicator that workers are sophisticated enough to act in their family's long term self interest.

Instead they just want to beat down anyone who complains about how horrible teacher pay is!...LOL

This IS the rat race. Screw anyone who strives to raise wages for whole groups, hoping you can grab a bone and leap over the others with your superior, moral work ethic.

A game for suckers.

Last edited by padcrasher; 05-30-2009 at 07:09 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 AM

New Mexico has very low property taxes--there is weak tax base for supporting schools--education won't be improved until property taxes are raised...

good luck with getting a job -- since you are special needs certified you are probably one of the few teachers that will get a call-back when you apply...

Old 05-31-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
New Mexico has very low property taxes--there is weak tax base for supporting schools--education won't be improved until property taxes are raised...

good luck with getting a job -- since you are special needs certified you are probably one of the few teachers that will get a call-back when you apply...
My parents pay about 1,700 a year for property taxes on 1 house, valued at about 145,000. My brother pays the same, for a house valued at about 130,000 and falling!. I don't think that's very cheap. Especially since every home owner I know pays roughly the same or more.

For some reason, many home owners here in NM are not given (or do not ask for) the option of paying property taxes every month when they pay their mortgage. My parents did it that way in California. So does every other home owner I know of back home in CA. And my parents paid the same amount of taxes that they do now.

NM is just pathetic. I hate it. But, that's not what this thread is about. Thanks for wishing me luck.

I'm getting this vibe that any teaching jobs in the Dallas area are non-existent from this message board. Is that a fair assumption?

Old 06-01-2009, 06:43 AM

I said what I did about NM property taxes because Scott Burns who is fairly well known financial writer--used to be with the Dallas Morning News--lives in New Mexico and has mentioned several times in his columns about the low property taxes in New Mexico vs Texas--which is one reason he and his wife relocated there--of course this guy is not suffering from low income--but he watches his expenses...

there ARE teaching jobs but they are few and far between and not generally spread out over every discipline or district--you can check the districts' web sites to see what they are posting
right now most openings/vacancies that were know have probably been filled--some of them with people who are surplus in other schools but have tenure and will just be moved around based on open classrooms

there will likely be openings that come up right before school starts--there always are--and most times the people who are available to interview, whose resumes are at the front of someone's mind are likely to be the ones who get called....these openings probably won't make it to the district's web site...they will come up one day and be taken care of ASAP--usually within 2-3 days...

Old 06-02-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I said what I did about NM property taxes because Scott Burns who is fairly well known financial writer--used to be with the Dallas Morning News--lives in New Mexico and has mentioned several times in his columns about the low property taxes in New Mexico vs Texas--which is one reason he and his wife relocated there--of course this guy is not suffering from low income--but he watches his expenses...

there ARE teaching jobs but they are few and far between and not generally spread out over every discipline or district--you can check the districts' web sites to see what they are posting
right now most openings/vacancies that were know have probably been filled--some of them with people who are surplus in other schools but have tenure and will just be moved around based on open classrooms

there will likely be openings that come up right before school starts--there always are--and most times the people who are available to interview, whose resumes are at the front of someone's mind are likely to be the ones who get called....these openings probably won't make it to the district's web site...they will come up one day and be taken care of ASAP--usually within 2-3 days...
Hm..... I get what you're saying. Seems like what your describing is normal. In ABQ, it's rare to see vacancies early on in the summer. Right now, there are many, because there is a new school opening up. But a good number of those ask for internal applicants only. In addition to this, most principals have this rule of not even interviewing until the beginning of August. Even if the job has been listed since the end of May! For the most part, the number of vacancies listed usually peaks in September and October.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 PM

41 posts, read 50,572 times
This forum is really funny. I am 22 years old and I graduated from a state university in Pennsylvania in May. I just signed with Fort Worth Independent School District for $47,500 salary. I am also the Tennis Coach and I assistant coach cheer-leading. Each teacher receives a stipend that is prorated throughout the school year. For coaching I will get about $5,300 stipend. You can also receive stipends for various certifications such as math and chemistry. Each one is about $2,000 a year. If you have two of these types of certifications that is another $4,000 a year. I myself am a chemistry/physics/astronomy teacher and will be obtaining certifications in math this year. So next year my total pay with all of my stipends will be about 56k. I know this does not sound like a lot to some people but I have to say that it affords a comfortable lifestyle, especially if you have a significant other to supplement your income. The problem with this forum is that some people view a comfortable lifestyle as three new cars and a half million dollar home while others are comfortable with a nice apartment rental and mediocre car.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:20 PM

Each teacher receives a stipend that is prorated throughout the school year.
False--projecting YOUR experience as the norm--
only teachers who take on extra work such as coaching, acting as sponsor to school activity like StuCo or Debate team EARN extra salary via stipends--
you are not GIVEN that money--you work for it...
don't demean what you do outside the classroom...

If you prorate out your stipends as hourly pay based on the extra time you will spend for each of your activities--as tennis coach and asst cheer sponson--I think you will find that you are actually making below minimum wage for those hours...because you have practice time daily in addition to game time--

you will spend time doing paperwork for your activities, dealing with parents--sometimes even driving the bus to tennis meets (at least my friend who was asst tennis coach wound up doing that)...and as a cheerleading sponsor you are going to spend time in the gym as girls decorate for pep rallys, riding the bus to games as chaperone, and waiting at the school until the last one goes home...

You were in the right field but you were also willing to take on time-consuming activities that many people --especially married ones with children--don't want to do...
I am glad that you think your 56K is ample reward for your work--I hope you think that way when the year is over...
and remember that is not all take home...

Old 07-20-2010, 01:43 AM

73 posts, read 271,901 times
I can guarantee you will not start much more than $45K a year as a new grad nursing in DFW (most around 20 an hour), and that is working 12 months out of the year, not 8. Extrapolate teaching to 12 months and you are starting in the 60s. Not too shabby - a young married teacher couple pulling over 90K together and several months off for vacations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth