Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've done away with that. I sleep on a folded blanket on the floor.
What about hardfloor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've done away with that. I sleep on a folded blanket on the floor.
Ouch, that's "hardcore" frugal. I tried a 3" thin japanese style futon on the floor, but it was too hard on the shoulder and hip for sleep on the side. I prefer a firm 5" foam mattress (no box spring) on a wood frame bed to keep off the floor while sleeping.

Other common things I opt out of:
no house or mortgage (small apt is OK).
No land line or cell phone / smart phone contract. I'm fine with a pre-paid cell phone and buy a refill for a few hundred minutes when needed to last me many months.
No Ipod, Ipad, Iphone. No credit card debt. No facebook page.
No car commuting - I bicycle commute to and from work every work day of the year in all weather, day or night. I'll be leaving for work in awhile for a 3 am to 12 noon work shift - the 3 am bicycle commute is fantastic with lights blazing and no cars on the street.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:51 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
high speed internet...not available here
(Its a 'Left wing conspiracy' to get everyone to move to a city)

Seems that HS connectivity is a MUST for most your economizer ideas.

I did pay $15 for a used iPod, which is very handy since I don't do video / tv / DVD's / VHS.

Getting my podcasts via "pay-by-the-byte' snail slow dial-up is no fun. I have to drive to town and see how much I can download in the free 1 hr at the library, the one day / week it is open.

Splitting firewood, hauling hay, and fixing fence is my gym membership alternative (no playground / park at my joint)
Internet is something I find very HARD to give up.. not because I'm addicted but it replaces several other things, like TV, phone, roadmaps, etc. not to mention the vast majority of frugal deals I get informed of thru the internet. It's included in my rent anyways, but even if it isn't, I'd still fork away $40 / mo so I don't need cable or a landline.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:20 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
I'll chime in .. I do have a spouse, but he brings his own to the frugal table!

Spouse's work provides: cable tv, internet, $80/mth health pretax insurance, work vehicle, and many discounts to be utilized - ex: 25% off our cell phone bill.

How we cut costs:
1. Smart phones - cheap ones, not 'must have'
2. Cell phone - see above discount, and we are on the best plan for our needs
3. Coffee - I love gourmet coffee. Purchased a $30 cappuccino/expresso machine and learned how to make it myself.
4. No CC debt.
5. Very inexpensive, hardy vehicles - 2009 was the first time in many years we took on a car payment and purchased a very economical Honda Civic with 50% down. Prior to this, we've owned older vehicles outright and drove them into the ground.
6. DIY vehicle maintenance - Oil changes range from $25-80 ($80 for synthetic, which we use). Do it at home for about $15. Same theory with brakes, belts, etc.
7. Online vet meds for dogs/horses - we purchase flea and heartworm meds for dogs through a supplier out of Australia for about 40% less than what we would spend in on the same product at the vet office. I save about 75% in medical costs by DIY vaccines, worming, etc for my animals.
8. DIY electronic repair - We've acquired a free flat panel tv that was 'bad' .. hubby learned how to replace bad capacitors on the board, works perfect. Overall investment: $2.53
9. Used/discount furniture - my living room tables were at the curb, my kitchen table off craigslist for $40. We have learned how to refurbish wood as needed.
10. Recycle! - the house needed heat vents replaced, they were rusty and gross. Cleaned 'em up, spray painted, good as new! To replace would've been $17 x 15.
11. DIY home improvements - installed wood floors with wood mill 'reject' wood. Solid oak planks at 60-70% off retail, installed ourselves.
12. Thrift shops. - I'm cheap.
13. Sale ads - only purchase items when on sale, will buy bulk meat and throw in freezer when I get a great deal.
14. Coupon book - Its not all work and no play, we do eat out. But, I will get a local coupon book and pick restaurants that offer buy 1 get 1 free coupons.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:40 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Never get an extended warranty on anything.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Never get an extended warranty on anything.
This is the truth! Most extended warranties cover the same time period that the existing manufacturers warranty already covers. When my DH worked in retail several years ago, some of his bonus money was determined by the extended warranties sold - because those are basically all profit for the retailer.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:09 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,039 times
No cable
All prepaid cell phones, basic ones.
No gym
No salon, barber or spas
No mortgage (we rent)
Basic landline for the DSL
1 $300 car payment
No big screen tv's

Old 10-15-2010, 10:34 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
I have basic cable ( I need my news)
I have basic cell phone-I don't need a 3g phone-
I check out books at the library-I don't understand people who buy books only to have them "sit" in the house after being read once or getting a kindle
I go to Starbucks once every three months-why on earth do people spend $4 a day on coffee
No gym
No new tv's-until mine break I'm not buying a new one
I clip coupons

Old 10-15-2010, 10:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Ouch, that's "hardcore" frugal. I tried a 3" thin japanese style futon on the floor, but it was too hard on the shoulder and hip for sleep on the side. I prefer a firm 5" foam mattress (no box spring) on a wood frame bed to keep off the floor while sleeping.
It's not for frugality, I have a mattress, but I prefer not to use it. I sleep better on the floor, my back feels better. The first night it was hard, it took about a week to get used to it, now I sleep fine through the night with no discomfort to my hips, shoulders, etc.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:26 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I have basic cable ( I need my news)
I have basic cell phone-I don't need a 3g phone-
I check out books at the library-I don't understand people who buy books only to have them "sit" in the house after being read once or getting a kindle
I go to Starbucks once every three months-why on earth do people spend $4 a day on coffee
No gym
No new tv's-until mine break I'm not buying a new one
I clip coupons
News on the radio AM.

You don't need a cell phone.

Coffee can be made at home.

You also don't need a TV either. There is radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living