Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:39 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,774,210 times

Advertisements

I had $ 294 left.

I passed on expensive shoes, fixed my own plumbing, kept my child off the field trip, declined getting my teeth fixed ( opted for oral-jel ), bought hardly any groceries....

The survey said I qualify for food stamps ! Yikes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 02:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
Interesting game, but it did not give me the choices I would have made, for example, live away from work, but take bus every day, not have a car at all, and yeah, my kids had to suck it up too...plus I stole from them all the time.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,491,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
No matter how I played it, I always survived. Just gotta play tough.

SPENT

Okay, I'm just starting, first time...right off the bat I can see that the available jobs will set you up for failure due to transportation issues.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 AM

Turns out I didn't even have any transportation issues, but I ran out of money on day 28 when the little leak turned into a big leak.

At every turn I was imagining a FAIL down the road, so I played it conservatively and paid my bills (although I was unwilling to spend on things that weren't bills, and was unwilling to accept a coat as a gift because I recognized that as a setup for an obligation to give/spend down the road - a common pitfall of poverty), but apparently all that did was run me out of money sooner rather than later.

Moral of story: don't have kids, rent a room in an SRO, and you'll be poor but solvent.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
You may have made it through with however much money left, but was it enough to pay the rent which was due the next day? IIRC, the minimum rent+cost of gas was around $750, so if you had less than that left, then you were in the hole. I had around $300 left, which would have left me short some $500 for rent.

So what happens if someone pays the rent two days after it's due? Is there a late fee or something? Where I live, late fees are not allowed until rent is five days past due. (After those days of slack, timetables to pay, move, or get evicted speed up considerably.)

Old 05-03-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interesting game, but it did not give me the choices I would have made, for example, live away from work, but take bus every day, not have a car at all, and yeah, my kids had to suck it up too...plus I stole from them all the time.

Yeah, the game presumes you don't have access to good public transportation, and therefore "need" a car. (Haven't they heard of Zipcar?)

Also, if you take a close look at the live/work slide, the game assumes your minimum rent/trans cost is about 30 miles away from work, which would pretty much rule out taking a bus.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:13 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
This is stupid. I have no job or money but I have a 75 dollar a month cell phone plan?
I paid my car insurance and I still have to pay $550 for 'damage' in a fender bender?

I get what they're saying, but still...

Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is stupid. I have no job or money but I have a 75 dollar a month cell phone plan?
I paid my car insurance and I still have to pay $550 for 'damage' in a fender bender?

As I recall, the game also starts you out with a ridiculous amt of credit card debt.

The job scenarios often require you to be available on short notice ("on call") so you'd need a cell phone, but you can get adequate prepaid service for about $10 a month, with enough time for as many calls as your employer is going to make.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:19 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,286,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So what happens if someone pays the rent two days after it's due? Is there a late fee or something? Where I live, late fees are not allowed until rent is five days past due. (After those days of slack, timetables to pay, move, or get evicted speed up considerably.)
OK, so you pay your rent late that month. Now you are starting out behind for the next month. You get into a cycle of later and later payments until you are evicted. When late fees are assessed is a matter determined by your lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

$550 represents a common amount for your deductible.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
OK, so you pay your rent late that month. Now you are starting out behind for the next month. You get into a cycle of later and later payments until you are evicted. When late fees are assessed is a matter determined by your lease.

Where I live, state law prohibits rent late fees before the fifth day. So a lease can say anything it wants about late fees, but a late fee before the fifth day after rent is due cannot be enforced in a court of law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living