Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Here in LA it seems virtually everyone is carrying an iPhone. Many of these people I notice are also students with part time income or those that are in lower end jobs. I am truly surprised just how many people have one considering how expensive a device it is, especially the monthly service. Do you think this is just a reflection of our society living above their means?

Same thing I thought when I arrived in a 740 Beemer at Key Biscayne and everyone was driving around in Lamborghini's and Farrier's including high school kids.

I learned real fast that it's not what everyone else has that counts, it's what you have.

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times
I get 25% discount through my job.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
How important is any of this REALLY? Can I not wait to get home to check my email? Can I not plan in advance where I want to eat and know where I am going? Why can't I use mapquest and print out the directions or write them down? Why can't I play a damn CD? Why would I even need an MP3?

People have been sold a bill of goods called CONSUMERISM and, IMHO, the sheep follow.
You must have a fairly simple job- one that doesn't involve working with clients, corporations, politicians, etc etc etc.

I lead a small team of engineers for a defense company, I asked one of them to email me some schematics for a project we're working on. He asked when I need it, I responded "yesterday!" No, many of us CAN'T wait to until we "get home" to check our email, it needs to be IMMEDIATE because we need to respond IMMEDIATELY.

I'm sitting in my home office at the moment and the technology I have around me:

my work phone (Blackberry)
my personal phone (Droid Incredible)
iPad 2
work computer (Apple)
personal computer (HP)
wireless printer
Apple iPod Touch
Samsung LED TV

In my briefcase I carry both cell phones, my iPad 2, Apple work laptop, and my iPod touch. It's the necessary equipment for living in a high-tech, corporate world anymore.

Last edited by SpeedyAZ; 04-20-2011 at 10:56 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Here in LA it seems virtually everyone is carrying an iPhone. Many of these people I notice are also students with part time income or those that are in lower end jobs. I am truly surprised just how many people have one considering how expensive a device it is, especially the monthly service. Do you think this is just a reflection of our society living above their means?
I dunno, because a lot of people I see with smart phones and 100 dollar data plans are the same ones who whine about not having 4 dollars to buy tylenol or saying they can't afford $150 a month for health insurance.

It wouldn't be as frustrating if I didn't meet these people in double digit numbers every single day.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Can I not wait to get home to check my email? Can I not plan in advance where I want to eat and know where I am going? Why can't I use mapquest and print out the directions or write them down? Why can't I play a damn CD? Why would I even need an MP3?
Save paper printing out directions. I've had an instance or two when google gave me the wrong directions and now I'm out and about and lost. Save the resources used to make a CD. MP3 player's can hold your favorite music when there's nothing good on the radio.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Corp discounts are big, I'm saving over 25% off my monthly phone bills. Some companies are only like 5% while some are as high as 27%
27% is pretty good...wow!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
I don't have a cell phone, but my spouse, a corporate IT consultant, carries an Android. I think it's great, and it allows him to do his job much more efficiently and effectively, which is why his employer fully-reimburses the expense. His phone, wallet, and commuter pass are all he carries most days. As for me, I don't find a smartphone necessary, but I can certainly see the value for others.

BTW, SpeedyAZ, my spouse thinks you've sold yourself a bill of goods. As a systems architect, he designs and maintains computer infrastructure for a variety of industries (including yours) using one phone and one laptop.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-21-2011 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 08:38 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
You must have a fairly simple job- one that doesn't involve working with clients, corporations, politicians, etc etc etc.

I lead a small team of engineers for a defense company, I asked one of them to email me some schematics for a project we're working on. He asked when I need it, I responded "yesterday!" No, many of us CAN'T wait to until we "get home" to check our email, it needs to be IMMEDIATE because we need to respond IMMEDIATELY.

I'm sitting in my home office at the moment and the technology I have around me:

my work phone (Blackberry)
my personal phone (Droid Incredible)
iPad 2
work computer (Apple)
personal computer (HP)
wireless printer
Apple iPod Touch
Samsung LED TV

In my briefcase I carry both cell phones, my iPad 2, Apple work laptop, and my iPod touch. It's the necessary equipment for living in a high-tech, corporate world anymore.
gee wiz you must be super cool and important too. were all very impressed

Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
gee wiz you must be super cool and important too. were all very impressed
Is a snarky and mean-spirited comment necessary?

I was simple trying to illustrate a point about technology in modern society and you feel the need to make a snide comment, why? I'm not trying to impress ANYBODY but it's simply a fact of life! Please refrain from personally attacking me, I have said nothing to incite your callous comment.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
No, it's not, Speedy. If you like your devices, that's fine, but most of what you have is completely unnecessary, even for someone who heads a team of engineers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living